Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

zephyr

File associations: unknown application (mm4 portable win7u)

Post by zephyr »

This is about the issue mentioned by a few users, here and here

I don't know when this problem started, but the associate with Mediamonkey option is not working.

If I double-click a file (wav, for example) I have to associate it with a player. I browse for portable MM4, and tell it to always open that file with MM. the association is then made.

I have to do this for each file type.

If I use MM Options (associate with all audio, for example, or if re-associate on startup is ticked) the association is overwritten as follows

Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Grateful noob
zephyr

Re: Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer

Post by zephyr »

OK, I monitored an install of portable MM, using InstallWatch.

I even ticked the add context menu items, to see if they'd work as anticipated (adding the option per associated file type).

Looking at the results, it was a success.

(I attempted to monitor an install, and it crashed, so I re-ran another portable install, hence the change of keys, registry modified, with updated path.)

So, can I ask, does everyone with a portable installation experience this issue? Perhaps only on windows7 ultimate (64-bit) perhaps it's cause I'm running a debug install (I like the idea of being able to view logs of activities, and believe that a debug install is the only way to achieve this)..

If this is a consequence of installing MM as a portable, where the program is 'associated' with types, but the OS fails to achieve 'normal behaviour' (because it's associating the files with an UNKNOWN/portable application), can someone please confirm?!

I tried monitoring the registry change to .mp3's (when manually registering them with mm, by choosing the application by browsing... the ONLY way to successfully associate file with MM) but no change was tracked. comparing the 'working file assoication' (mp3/flac, both I've manually registered, and it STICKS, because 're-associate on startup ISN'T checked).

Any insights most appreciated. Thanks!
Grateful noob
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Same issue for me Zephyr. I am running Windows 7 64bit and latest beta build (gold) installed as portable. I have set the file associations though the MM UI, set them through Explorer "Open With", and also through control panel default programs. I have yet to get the file associations to stick to MM with any method. The extensions revert to being unassociated with any app.

Please update if a fix is found for this.
zephyr wrote:OK, I monitored an install of portable MM, using InstallWatch.

I even ticked the add context menu items, to see if they'd work as anticipated (adding the option per associated file type).

Looking at the results, it was a success.

(I attempted to monitor an install, and it crashed, so I re-ran another portable install, hence the change of keys, registry modified, with updated path.)

So, can I ask, does everyone with a portable installation experience this issue? Perhaps only on windows7 ultimate (64-bit) perhaps it's cause I'm running a debug install (I like the idea of being able to view logs of activities, and believe that a debug install is the only way to achieve this)..

If this is a consequence of installing MM as a portable, where the program is 'associated' with types, but the OS fails to achieve 'normal behaviour' (because it's associating the files with an UNKNOWN/portable application), can someone please confirm?!

I tried monitoring the registry change to .mp3's (when manually registering them with mm, by choosing the application by browsing... the ONLY way to successfully associate file with MM) but no change was tracked. comparing the 'working file assoication' (mp3/flac, both I've manually registered, and it STICKS, because 're-associate on startup ISN'T checked).

Any insights most appreciated. Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Portable version doesn't register automatically anything, see this KB article for details:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=153

Especially:
1) To enable OS Integration settings to function in portable mode, register the MediaMonkey elevation COM object, which is used to give MediaMonkey admin rights in cases where changes must be made to the registry (e.g. for file associations):
MediaMonkeyCOM.exe /regserver

So for auto-registration you need to either call 'MediaMonkeyCOM.exe /regserver' or install standard version of MediaMonkey that does this automatically during the install process.
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Hello zephyr and Blackcat12 and e.e., this works for me on Win XP SP3:
  • 1.) Start your portable version with these command line parameters: "/elevate /regcomserver" Read the full answer of Peke first in this thread http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 13#p372160 You will see your file symbols flashing, that's all!
    2.) Start your portable version without those command line parameters and set the desired file associations as you normally did.
@Ludek, Lowlander: I can not find a MediaMonkeyCOM.exe on my System?

HTH

Mikey
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

Hi all, many thanks for reminding me of the command to elevate a portable install to enable OS integration... that makes sense.

Unfortunately my new SSD died so it's in Paris hopefully getting replaced and not just repaired, so back to reconfiguring hotkeys etc :( really need some start backing up wherever possible.

thanks again, will update and confirm this resolves when I next do a portable install...

Can these operations be completed on existing installs that haven't been moved? have a few .ini / .db portable installs I'd like to review

Sorry for going off topic
Grateful noob
zephyr

reg comserver

Post by zephyr »

re this install command, is there an option to uninstall a comserver (if you want to install another copy)?

can portable and "full" installs exists in relative harmony?

have to lookup the options on changing inis and swapping dbs...
Grateful noob
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Hello Zephyr,

I don't know, if there are any bad implications, if you elevate your portable installation of MM. In my case if, I have to choose between portable and normal installation, as I have to go through the whole procedure again if I want to re-associate files with another installation. Maybe somebody else can shine a light on this?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, you can have mutliple MM versions installed at once.

e.g. you can install portable to C:/MediaMonkey/ and then regular to C:/Program Files/MediaMonkey/ and files will be associated with the regular version.
You can install regular version again to C:/Program Files/MediaMonkey2/ and this last one will be associated with files.