Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1974

Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer

Post by Mikey1974 »

Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer and MM (4.1.0.1661) is not running.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
RAM 2.048,00 MB
CPU x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~3166 Mhz & / Intel CORE 2 Duo E8500

Steps to reproduce:

Close MM, if running (I haven't got a normal Version installed!)
Open MM BETA
Check that the corresponding options are set (extras>options>windows integration>file associations)
Click Ok
Close MM BETA
Try to open a mp3 in Windows / Explorer -> nothing happens

This seems to be the part of the registry, which doesn't work?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaMonkey.MP3File\Shell\open\Command]
@="\"D:\\MediaMonkey\\MediaMonkey.exe\" \"%1\""

Regards

Michael
Ludek

Re: Files (e.g. mp3) are not played when opened via explorer

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I've just tried it on Windows XP pro, SP2 and I haven't been able to replicate the issue.

Is the build 1661 really installed in D:\MediaMonkey\ ?
How exactly did you try to open the mp3 in Windows / Explorer? via right-click -> Open, via right-click "Play in MM", or via double-clicking?
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Hello,

I've tried every version of opening the file in windows / explorer and none of them worked.
The 1661 build is installed in D:\MediaMonkey. (I've chosen portable during the installation process, as I at that time I had also the non Beta / normal version of MM installed)
BTW: I've also tried uninstalling MM Beta but the explorer context menu still showed the "play in Mediamonkey" entry. Just scannned the registry for Programme\MediaMonkey / non Beta MM entries and they are still there. Is that normal?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Aha, you installed as Portable version.

Portable version doesn't auto-register to system, more details here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8182

But it see the file associations, because you have associated them with the previous MM version that you probably forgot to uninstall?
Nevertheless if you change manually anything in Portable ->Options->OS Integration then it should re-associate everything and it should work.
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Well I already knew, that the portable version doesn't autoregister but as you see in the OP, I've already set the file associations in the portable version.
There is no other version of MM installed at the moment, I've doublechecked this.
So maybe I should do a clean install of MM. Could you plz point me to a good, not outdated guide on how to remove any remains of the old MM, prior to reinstalling?
Hmm, I also have Norton AV on my system, I hope that there are not any conflicts between MM and NAV?
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

I've just did a clean install of (First I forgot to delete the MM3.X Database, which puzzled me for a few moments):

1.) MM
2.) MM BUILD 1662 as portable version
3.) MM (I had to reinstall, because otherwise I could only fire up MM via the "play last" / "play next" explorer context options )

I still cannot get the BUILD 1662 running, even if I proceed, as in the OP. Before Step 3 BUILD 1662 wouldn't start, now the normal MM starts instead of MM BUILD 1662. :-?

Seconds ago I installed BUILD 1662 as nonportable version (as suggested in the bugtracker) in its own folder and startmenu. And it's working, but I can not see really why the portable version doesn't function as mp3-handler anymore, even if registered?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

So if I understand corectly, you have now installed BUILD 1662 as both portable and non-portable and the non-portable starts when double-clicking MP3 file in explorer, right?
That is OK, because the BUILD 1662 (non-portable) was the lastly installed build, therefore it is used to open files.

Portable version doesn't register automatically anything, se this KB article for details:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=153

Another way is to install portable version to the same directory where the non-portable is and thus replace it, but I think you can just keep the standard version instead of the portable, the portable is useful when you install on a portable drive to switch it between more computers.
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Hi,

the solution in your kb seems only to work in XP pro not in XP home, but I think it's allright now, because I can go on BETA-testing with the non-portable version. BTW is there any means to have the BETA non-portable use different designs than the normal MM? It used to work like this, but it doesn't anymore! This has probably something to do with the old 3.X Database and Folder, which I've deleted yesterday? May I say Bug?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you mean skin, you can change this under Tools > Options > Skins.
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

Hi Lowlander,

that is what I meant, but I still have both MMs always using the same skin / design. I guess, that means, they both use the same MediaMonkey.ini! Does anybody know how to change this behaviour? Or is it impossible?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may have done some improper installing at some point. A Portable Install should use the ini in the Portable folder in the install folder instead of the default ini.
Mikey1974

Post by Mikey1974 »

:oops: You are right, I just forgot that. I assume, if I want the BETA to be the handler for mp3 and so on, I'd better install the normal MM as portable version then.

Sorry!
zephyr

MM4 portable filetypes not recognised/associated

Post by zephyr »

hi, I'm also having this issue with my portable install, on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

I installed MM to c:\apps\Mediamonkey4

There is no entry for MM in add/removed programs (although there are uninstall entries for some scripts)

MM's file associations aren't sticking.

Example: double-click to open MP3

associate with MM (listed as a program perhaps only because I've completed this procedure... repeatedly)

Notice file association updates the icon of the files (mp3s)

And then immediately returns to previous state of 'unknown'

This is within a second of MM opening and playing the file.

Now, I'm pretty sure this never used to happen.

Can anyone help?!

thanks
Grateful noob
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

UPDATE:

I repeated the process, and it appears that mp3's are now correctly associated with MM.
Do I have to do this for each file type (open, and associate)?

I tried using MM options (associate with audio), and I think the associations are being made, but incorrectly.

If I check 'default programs'

Instead of seeing 'Media Monkey', I see this

I've associated audio with VLC for now, until I can find the cause (and cure) of these problems)
Grateful noob
zephyr

No File Associations in Win7

Post by zephyr »

Hi, and no unfortunately you are not alone in experiencing these issues.

I thought my issues were due to the portable installl (to c:\apps\mediamonkey, not program files).

Full details here.

If I double click a file and open with MM, it appears to resolve, whilst the MM audio file type association option doesn't seem to work.

Would rather not do an application reinstall, as I've heavily configured my UI, skins, hotkeys, and scripts.

Guess I'll have to try and associate on a file by file basis.
Grateful noob