iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

msherman

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by msherman »

You want me to try another overnight sync with the autoconverting enabled? What kind of device cleanup should I do first, the same as what you recommended in the ticket? I'm not going to be able to try this til at least tonight.
msherman

Post by msherman »

Should I put this modified DLL on top of a fresh 1750 install?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, the overnight sync with the autoconverting enabled and ensure that the device reboot no longer appear.

You don't need to copy the DLL anymore, I incorporated the change into build 1750, so testing with 1750 is enough.
msherman

Post by msherman »

Ok, I'm installing 1750 now, and I'll give it a try with a full sync tonight.

My wife took her phone back, so I'll be doing it on my own. On behalf of anyone sharing my subway trip tomorrow morning, I hope this works! :)
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Very Bad News....

I installed the final build of iOS 8.4 released today and installed 1750

No matter what I sync (I started with a few small playlists) the songs look like they are transferring over, but when I go to look at the music on the device none of the songs show up on the device.

I tried this with both an ipod touch and an ipad air running the final released build of 8.4 and had the same results on both devices.

Doesn't look good for a quick solution :(
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hmm :-/
I am going to try the final release of iOS 8.4 tomorrow, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12779

Thanks.

EDIT: I can confirm the issue based on my today's testing with iPod Touch 5 + iOS 8.4, we are not getting the "asset manifest" command anymore for some reason, probably a change in track matadata structures. Studing more...
msherman

Post by msherman »

I think I'm going to wait until this ios 8.4 issue plays out before I give this a shot.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
iOS 8.4 sync is fixed: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12779

There will be another beta (4.1.8.1751) available for testing later today, so give a try with 1751 later
msherman

Post by msherman »

Thanks, Ludek, I'll give it a try tonight.
msherman

Post by msherman »

The new build is a dud. The (Scanning...) stayed up for way longer than usual, with lots of log messages about Waiting For Manifest... and then MediaMonkey crashed with an AV in iPhoneCalc.dll. The AV log has been submitted.

This was with an iphone 6 upgraded to ios8.4, with no music on it (the entire music library on the phone wiped blank).
msherman

Post by msherman »

Ticket filed: HPR-171-34479

Dgbview log is attached to the ticket.
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Maybe I'm missing something... Ios 8.4 Ipad air.. and 1451....500 or so songs synced flawlessly and fast...

I haven't tried to sync my whole 6000+ collection but so far a HUGE improvement over 1450

It also seems to be an improvement over 1443-1448... I can see all the songs on the device. the sync seems faster and no crashes (reboots) yet....

keeping my fingers crossed but so far it looks good...
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Almost perfect :(

The sync to my ipad air running 8.4 using 1451 worked well when i synced incrementally.

The final stress test of a little over 5000 songs caused a reboot with slightly under 1000 songs remaining. I can live with that...

I I do my sync in 3 batches I will never sync more than 3000 songs at once and that should be fine for me.

Not I'm going to test the touch 5th gen
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Update:

With the ipod touch 5th in a sync of over 3000 songs it crashed after 3150 songs...

device shows 3150 and MM view of device contents shows only 20... strange?

I'm thinking the crash has something to do with how fast the device processor is.

Ipad air faster processor, longer before it crashes... ipod touch slower processor.. crashes sooner...

make any sense? is there any way to test that theory?

thanks guys
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, ok,
so it definetely looks that the unexpected reboot problem hasn't been resolved: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12774

Although from what I read it seems to be rather an Apple's issue after iOS 8.3 upgrade: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6992103

There are some workarounds found by users:

dbninva:
Try the following (you won't lose apps or data, however your phone settings will revert to the default): Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. This seems to have resolved my infinite-reboot problem.

dalownerx3:
I found that if it's locked or in sleep (screen is off), my iPhone will reboot

Yves3R:
Yesterday i restore my phone 4S and with only mail and facebook installed, it's run like a new one. No reboot since. Phone provider ( Telus ) ask for an update but i do not accept for a couple of days. Good news, it's not a hardware trouble.

rhm1965:
I'm on a 4S with this issue. The device was nor reset nor restored, but in my case it helped to just disable the setting 'Control Center: Access on Lock Screen'. No more restarts while charging since then, even when Auto-Lock is enabled.

Could you try whether it helps?

You also indicated that syncing in batches helps, with assumption that it is not a coincidence: Could you please tell me what exactly you are doing between the batches? Do you reboot PC or phone? Or restart MM? Or just initiate another sync _without_ MM restart, phone and PC reboot?