iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

msherman

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by msherman »

I really disagree with your statements in that bug comment that it's a hardware issue, and that it's not fixable. I've been able to easily reproduce it with two different iphones, one of which I had a 6 month history of syncing with media monkey successfully before upgrading to ios8.3. So it's definitely something that's changed in the OS between 8.2 and 8.3 which is causing this, not hardware.

The other evidence that it should be fixable is that it's easily reproducible with media monkey, but does not ever occur with iTunes. This suggests that MM is doing something different in the sync protocol than iTunes does, and that difference is what triggers the iPhone to reboot. It may be difficult to determine what that difference is, but it must exist and figuring it out is the key to fixing this. Given the difficulty you've had in tracking it down, and the impact that auto-conversion seems to have on the bug, my money is on a timing related race condition.

Please note that up thread I disproved the notion that small batches was a viable workaround for this issue, I've seen it recur with a batch as small as 150 songs. Certainly it's less likely to occur with a small batch, but that's expected behaviour for a heisenbug like this -- the longer the experiment, the more likely it is to occur during the run.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Ok, so supposing that using batches is not a solution, could you try whether one of the workarounds that I have suggested in my last post helps?
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

I'm seeing very slow copy times of ~700 files to my iPhone 5 (iOS 8.4). I'm capturing a debug log now and will submit. Using 4.1.8.1745

I too also earlier saw a spontaneous reboot of the iPhone whilst waiting for it to sync.

The first 50 or so tracks seem to sync as normal pretty quickly and then everything slows down in the sync. Its pretty unusable like this. I'll leave it running as long as I can and see if I can capture the sync/reboot.
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

#EZJ-655-75625 submitted with a partial debug log as its still running and the log is already 35Mb... (only 100/774 songs synced, 3800s).
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

Hi 3 hours later the iphone restarted. Also MM crashed at the same time. I let MM submit an automated report and also added debug logs to my ticket.

I'm going to try reducing the number of files to sync and see what that does.
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Finally got around to syncing the iphone 6 on ios 8.4

sync of 3574 songs.. no crash, no slowdown in sync MM completed the sync of all the songs but when I went onto the device it only showed 1754 songs instead of the 3574 that were synced...
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

adrianmarsh wrote:I'm seeing very slow copy times of ~700 files to my iPhone 5 (iOS 8.4). I'm capturing a debug log now and will submit. Using 4.1.8.1745
iOS 8.4 sync does not work with build 4.1.8.1745, you will need to download and install the newest build 4.1.8.1751 , it was issue http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12779
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

hi ok yes i downloaded the correct build. i ran an initial sync last night that went ok.

however on playing the tracks, there was the wrong music playing for certain new tracks. back in mm they're ok, but completely wrong on the iphone.

so i removed them off the device in mm, and then started another sync.

the sync slowed to a crawl and a few hours later the phone crashed. i wasn't debugging at the time i'm afraid but i did submit a bug report in the crash
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for submitting the crash report.
Also based on your description
I saw from it that MM was asked to terminate the sync thread at the moment (probably you were trying to close MM ?) and iPhone rebooted as you noted in your report.
Here you indicated that sync slowed to a crawl and a few hours later the phone crashed, I wonder what was the reason for the slow sync, how many songs you synced? Was a slow auto-conversion involved?

Yesterday I was trying again to replicate the reboot problem, but I couldn't. The only time were I reproduced the unexpected reboot was when I started iTunes & QuickTime software update which caused my device to reboot, but it was definetly caused by the software update.

Could you who can replicate it (Outlandis, msherman, adrianmarsh?) try whether a workaround note here:
http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic. ... 45#p410848
helps?

Msherman indicated that the reboot did not happen with iTunes, but I suppose it could be another coincidence as the same 1440 M4A files were successfully synced using MM too (as he indicated), the point is that if there isn't any slow file auto-conversion needed then the sync time is less than 30 minutes and thus less probability of the unexpected reboot observed by you.
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

mmm... no... I didn't ask it to terminate anything.. it was happily syncing away and then I noticed the iphone sync went odd, kind of had horizontal bars across it before rebooting.. then I say MM had a crash dialogue up.

I'll take a look at the workarounds.. but when I read them yesterday I wasn't sure what I could do... I can't sync via itunes as I never really use it.. and if I do it'll wipe out all the music on the iphone.

I'll try to keep the phone awake.. maybe I'll start a satnav app on it like Waze which should keep it open and on.

I'll let you know.
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

last run of 597 files.. with Waze keeping the phone on and unlocked took ~3400s but no restart and it did complete
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

As a comparison I'm running it a second time, same setup and at 3600s i'm only at 88 files of 410 sync'd..
the playlists contain random selections but still mostly mp3 files.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

adrianmarsh wrote:3600s i'm only at 88 files of 410 sync'd
Thanks for the log, replied via ticket ID #EZJ-655-75625
lezampieri

Post by lezampieri »

Hi,
I installed MM 4.1.8.1751, my iPhone is IOS 8.4 and I can see my phone with MM.
But, when I sync the album with my phone nothing happened and the album doesn't show in the iPhone.
adrianmarsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

lezampieri, did it work previously?

During sync what does the status bar show ? And on the iPhone tab of MM does it say how many files/Mb "will be copied" ?

If this is the first time using MM, you may have to decouple the iPhone from iTunes for music (set iTunes to Manually manage music and turn off sync in itunes for music - be warned it will remove music from the iphone I think when you apply).