iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by Ludek »

@lezampieri, looks like double post: http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic. ... 55#p410972
msherman

Post by msherman »

I tried your workarounds (set the phone to autosleep "never" and disabled the control panel on the lock screen), and attempted a transfer of just under 1000 songs. The iphone crash recurred again.

The iphone says it has 8G of music on it (there were 285 songs on it before I started), but I can't figure out where to get an actual count in the new apple music app UI.

MediaMonkey still says there's only 285 songs (the ones before I started this sync) on the phone, no matter how many times I rescan it.
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Can someone help me understand why when I sync 846 songs on a newly restored iphone6 with ios 8.4 it only shows 509 songs on the device but shows all the songs if I view the device contents with MM.

Very Frustrating.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote:Can someone help me understand why when I sync 846 songs on a newly restored iphone6 with ios 8.4 it only shows 509 songs on the device but shows all the songs if I view the device contents with MM.
The explanation for the difference is here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12750

So in your case the device accepted just 509 songs for some reason, but MM/iTunes think that there is 846 songs (based on the iTunesCDB content).
Could you open an eSupport ticket with debug log so that I could see what were wrong, I suppose that the issue is sporadic/random (same as the device reboot), right?
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

I think you understand the problem backwards.

The device accepted 846 songs but the device itself thinks there are only 510 songs on it.

so the issue is not the device not accepting the songs... the database itself is incorrect.. the songs are there..
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote:I think you understand the problem backwards.

The device accepted 846 songs but the device itself thinks there are only 510 songs on it.

so the issue is not the device not accepting the songs... the database itself is incorrect.. the songs are there..
Once all 846 songs are shown in My Music on iPhone and are playable then it is OK, where did you see the 510 count?
iOS -> Settings -> General -> Info ?
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Yes that is where I got the 510 count... And only 510 show in the music app

The missing songs are also omitted from the playlists on the device.

But if I view the device contents with MM the songs show up and the full 800 or so songs are there.

I hope that makes sense
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, that makes sense, it is similar problem as if you delete the tracks via iPhone Music app and the tracks are still visible in iTunes, because iTunes (and MM) read the content from the iTunesCDB file while the iOS device stores all content metadata to its internal SQLite database, nevertheless (unlike iTunes) MM verifies on the begin of each auto-sync whether the songs are still in their locations on the device and if not then MM deletes them from iTunesCDB too, so if you run one more auto-sync it should be OK, it not then please open the eSupport ticket with attached debug log.

Also some related explanations are here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 266#c41251
msherman

Post by msherman »

In my experience, once the phone gets in that state where the CDB file shows less music than is actually stored on the phone (which happens pretty much every time an MM sync causes the phone to reboot), the only resolution is to erase all the music from the phone and start over, there's no way to recover.

If I try to sync with iTunes once the phone's in that state, iTunes doesn't include the phantom songs in its calculation of space free on the phone, but it doesn't delete them, so the sync fails with out of space errors.

If I try to sync with MM once the phone's in that state, the transfer to the phone slows down to a crawl (transferring an individual m4a takes multiple minutes, after it's already finished autoconverting), and then frequently either MM or the phone crash again.

That's what's made dealing with this ongoing problem so frustrating since ios 8.3 came out.
msherman

Post by msherman »

I've been slowly repopulating my phone, 1 year at a time, in an attempt to avoid crashing the phone during a sync and having to start over again. Please figure this out and rescue me from the 80s!
msherman

Post by msherman »

AGGGGH. MM just AV'd in iPhoneCalc.dll at the end of a 100 song sync (before which the iphone already had 1700 songs on it), and now my iphone doesn't see any music.

This is getting infuriating. Can anyone recommend a different solution for keeping a large library of FLAC files synced onto an idevice?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi msherman,
strange, if the iPhone reboots then MM should re-copy the missing tracks on the next sync, note though that I have never reproduced the reboot myself so I cannot be sure,
could you please attach debug log generated using DbgView to the ticket BJS-458-67430

Also per your last reply in the ticket: "Hey Ludek. Per your suggestion, I went into the phone with iFunbox, and deleted the MediaMonkey directory tree. There was no Airlock directory tree. After this, transferring the 4500 pre-converted M4As succeeded."
Is this still a workaround?
msherman

Post by msherman »

In the incident I reported on thursday, the iphone did not crash. Only media monkey crashed. After the crash, the iphone had lost _all_ of it's music, not just the 100 songs that were being synced at that time. Niether MM nor iTunes were able to recover the iphone successfully. It had 20G of music files on it which were missing from the CDB file (according to iFunBox), and neither MM nor iTunes could see them to either reconstruct the cdb file nor delete the stranded files.

The only possible resolution was to delete the entire iTunes folder in ifunbox, and start this maddening process over from the beginning.

I do not have a debug log, because dbgview was not running at the time. I'd suggest that you write debug logs internally rather than relying on a separate application to write them, to ensure that they are always available when required.

I do not think that pre-converting the files to M4A in MM and then syncing separately is something I can consider a viable workaround here, because it would require that I keep two copies of all my music in my MM library, and there's no way in MM to ensure that those two copies stay in sync. Synchronizing the files is kind of the whole point here.

I'm trying the old iTunes plugin now. However, I've noticed that it seems to ignore the "remove extra genres" flag in the settings. Is this a known bug?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
FYI following worked for several users having troubles syncing an iOS 8.4 device:

Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset all settings

Maybe that works for you too?
msherman

Post by msherman »

I've reset my phones multiple times during this investigation, to no avail.