iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Outlandis

Re: iPhone crashes during large sync with build 4.1.8.1745

Post by Outlandis »

JUst confirmed with my ipad air after cleaning the music off of it and starting it fresh.

I tried to sync all 66oo songs that I have set to sync.

Ipad crashed after 2200 or so songs

2200 songs show when I look at the music on it with MM

only 880 songs show on general - about - songs in system settings on the ipad..

difficult to determine what is causing ios to crash when it is a function of the device and not the MM.. could be the way MM is talking to the ipad causing it to reboot?
msherman

Post by msherman »

Hey Ludek. Per your suggestion, I went into the phone with iFunbox, and deleted the MediaMonkey directory tree. There was no Airlock directory tree. After this, transferring the 4500 pre-converted M4As succeeded.

I did note that the iTunes directory tree still had some M4A files in it (about 500M of them) before I started, even though the phones music app and General>Usage both claimed that there were 0 songs on the phone.

Does this help you track down the problem?
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

So I tried the "cleaning my ipad Air wit ifunbox and itunes.

Went into the raw directory structure and cleaned out all the old music, thumbnails, and the MediaMonkey directory.

did a Sync of 1 song with iTunes and then removed the 1 song with iTunes.

Synced 3 playlists totaling about 80 songs with MM success and fast
(1 problem I saw was MM synced all the songs but 1 but it thought it synced the song in other words viewing the music on the device showed 84 songs but the view in media monkey showed 85 songs. interesting to note the missing song was also missing from the playlist on the device)

After that initial success I synced about 600 more songs without incident

I then set it up to sync what remained of the 6600 songs.

Device crashed at 2255 songs but only showed 2231 songs on the device itself.

Figuring that wasn't as bad as before, I tried to sync the rest of the songs again....
Crashed the ipad overnight showed 5500 +songs on the MM view of the device and only showed 2800 or so songs on the device itself... AND... all the playlists were gone.

Does MM ever perform some kind of "check" to make sure what it thisnk is on the device is actually there? Is that even possible?
In other words, can MM start a sync by looking at the DB file of the device and the actual content and then resolve any discrepancies. That seems liek it would be a major help when the device content and the content in the MM view don't quite match.

Hope this helps.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote:
Device crashed at 2255 songs but only showed 2231 songs on the device itself.
How it crashed, iPhone has rebooted itself?
Outlandis wrote:
Crashed the ipad overnight showed 5500 +songs on the MM view of the device and only showed 2800 or so songs on the device itself... AND... all the playlists were gone.
This looks that after the first crash caused your device to not accept the new files uploaded by MM for some reason. MM and iTunes read/writes the content from iTunesCDB files where as the device (iOS) read/writes the content to MediaLibrary.sqlite file, that is the reason why they can be out of sync when something wrong bad.
This is planned to be improved, details here http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12266 (if you are interested)

Back to the crash, do you have a debug log of that to share? item 4b here: http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=341

From the other forum post I read that you use ios 8.4 beta, right? Or only for the 5S and not the iPad? I had an impression that iOS 8.4 beta solved your sync troubles, but it looks that it does not?
BTW user rabiatorDLX indicated that he need to reboot both device and PC to get the sync to the correct condition again, is this also your case?
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

To quickly answer your questions, in no particular order....
first, unfortunately I did not generate a debug log.
Second, you are correct, whenever I say crash I mean the "crash" in fact causes e a reboot of the device.
Ios 8.4 beta was what I was using on the 5S (which is now running ios 9 beta) all the other devices are running 8.3

I also already read about the plans to change the way the databases are written and was hoping that would solve the problem.

I did not need to reboot to start the sync again..
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote: Ios 8.4 beta was what I was using on the 5S (which is now running ios 9 beta) all the other devices are running 8.3
Thx.
I just wonder, does the device reboot happen also with the 5S running the iOS9 beta or it is just iOS 8.3 related?
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

I can't test with iOS 9 because it gives me the message that the firmware is not compatible and it will only allow me to read to it and not write to it.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Outlandis wrote:I can't test with iOS 9 because it gives me the message that the firmware is not compatible and it will only allow me to read to it and not write to it.
You are true, you would need the unlocked version of d_iPhone.dll
Here it is: http://happymonkeying.com/beta/iOS9/d_iPhone.dll
Replace it over your current /MediaMonkey/Plugins/d_iPhone.dll for testing iOS9
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

Just ran a test wit ios 9 beta 2 and the first sync that I performed contained about 150 songs and worked perfectly.
then I tried to sync 3000 or so songs and it crashed (caused a reboot of the 5S) after about 600 or so songs.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hmm, so the symptomps seems to be same as with iOS8 that in case of slow FLAC -> M4A file conversion the iPhone reboots itself after some time.
BTW how much time it took to copy the 600 files?
It looks that iOS 8.3+ does not like long sync tasks (caused by slow file conversion).
This was also the case for user msherman where 4500 pre-converted M4As succeeded, but failed (also caused reboot) when needed to be converted on demand.
I wonder whether splitting the sync into batches could solve the issue? i.e. if you would sync only for 30 minutes, then terminate the sync then run another sync for 30 minutes and so on. If this could help then I could tweak the sync process to behave this way.
Outlandis

Post by Outlandis »

I would be that you are correct about the long sync process due to auto conversion.

I am also auto converting from high bitrate mp3's to lower bitrate ones.

When I sync anywhere from 20- 600 or so songs, there is no reboot.

Because of the way I have my library setup I have some playlists with 2000 or so songs. It is only when I try to sync these that I have a problem.

I would almost bet a tweak would fix this issue...
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thansks for feedback, I am tracking the issue as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12774 and preparing the tweaked DLL for testing
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Here is tweaked: http://happymonkeying.com/beta/iOS9/d_iPhone.dll
Could you please replace it over your current /MediaMonkey/Plugins/d_iPhone.dll and test whether the iPhone reboot issue still happens?
Oulandis

Post by Oulandis »

Good news and bad news

Good news is synced 4222 songs overnight with no crash.

Bad news is that 4222 songs show on the device when I view the contents via media monkey but only 2865 actually show in the device through settings ---> general--> about
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

@Oulandis:
Do you have debug log of this? Could you clean up your device and try again with DbgView running?

@msherman:
Can you also confirm that with the updated DLL the reboot does not appear anymore?