Can't connect to service with MMA 468 and MMW 1756

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

dmcritchie

Can't connect to service with MMA 468 and MMW 1756

Post by dmcritchie »

When I connect from MMA to MMW, I can access the library when MMW is running, but not when it is not running and I am using the service. I installed the service after installing 1756, and I see that the service starts when MMW stops, and vice-versa. But no connection can be made with only the MM service running.

I have another uPNP client that has the identical problem when connecting with the MM service. It only connects when MMW itself is running.

I had this same problem with the previous version of MMW also.

I am running Windows 8.1

Any suggestions?

Dennis
Lowlander

Re: Can't connect to service with MMA 468 and MMW 1756

Post by Lowlander »

Perhaps you run the service as a different Windows user? MediaMonkey creates the Media Sharing settings for the Windows User you run MediaMonkey as, so the Service needs to run as the same Windows User.
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

Thanks. That seemed to be the problem. When I originally installed the service via MMW's dialog box, it asked for my password and then set up the service to run under "Local System". I thought I remembered it being able to work this way in the past, but maybe I'm wrong. In any event, I have now edited the service properties and changed the logon to my own user credentials, and now MMA (and other uPNP clients) can connect to the MM server.

One question though: shouldn't MMW have configured the service correctly to begin with? Or if that's not possible for some reason, should there not be directions on how the service properties need to be changed?

Best,
Dennis
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, yes, MM auto-configure the service when installing the service and should ask you for your user password.
But something gone wrong in your case. Can you try to uninstall the service and install it again to see whether the problem is replicable for you (so that we could debug this further)?
dmcritchie

Post by dmcritchie »

I uninstalled and re-installed the service, and it did configure it using my username and password (instead of "Local System"). However, I also got an error dialog box about 5 seconds afterward: "[SC] StartService: OpenService FAILED 5: Access is denied."

I did this twice and got the error both times, however when I exit MMW, the service does start successfully, and I can access the MM library from MMA.

So I'm not sure why the error occurred.

Dennis