MM 2.5.4 with Windows Vista

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

amarcord

MM 2.5.4 with Windows Vista

Post by amarcord »

Today, I have evaluated how MM runs on Windows Vista, and so far so good... well almost.

The only problem I have encountered is that MM is unable to access the CD drives (with an unhelpful message such as "Could not find drive F:"), unless you launch the program with Administrator privileges. (For those who might wonder, Vista launches every process with regular user privileges, even if you are an administrator; a program that needs to perform administrator tasks must explicitely require privilege elevation before proceeding).

To circumvent the problem, you need to right-click on the MM icon (either in the Start menu, or on the executable in Program Files), go to the "Compatibility" tab, and enable "Run with administrator privileges". The only (but major, to my mind) drawback is that Windows will ask you upon every launch for authorization.

But hopefully MM developers will come very soon with a solution. It seems that Winamp is having the same problem when trying to read CDs without administrator rights. But (as you have probably guessed) Windows Media Player can read CDs without administrator privileges. So there must a solution...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Have you tried to temper with CDreader Input plugin and its settings for drives. MM 2.x.x uses this plugin.

I'm curious, as from my point of view it could solve the problem as plugin is set SPTI/ASPI as default not Win32 Calls?

I do not use Vista so I can't test this.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
amarcord

Post by amarcord »

Thanks Peke, I had not paid attention to CDReader options. The default was SPTI, but unfortunately using Win32 or ASPI doesn't fix the problem.
Actually I am wondering if CDReader is involved, since the error message occurs when trying to view the CD's content.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

PS. Windows Vista is not supported with the MediaMonkey 2.x versions. MediaMonkey 3.0 should support Windows Vista.
amarcord

Post by amarcord »

Lowlander wrote:PS. Windows Vista is not supported with the MediaMonkey 2.x versions. MediaMonkey 3.0 should support Windows Vista.
Yes, it is not really a bug since this OS isn't officially supported. This message would have better fit in the "News and other stuff" board, sorry. But my main point was that MediaMonkey 2.5.4 does work on vista, with the only precaution that you need to run it with administrator privileges if you intent to use audio CDs.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It was just as information in case you weren't aware and expected MediaMonkey to work with Windows Vista.
svenni1984

Post by svenni1984 »

is it stupid to hope for a vista-like interface in MM v3?
BerniPi

Post by BerniPi »

i am using mm 2.5 in vista for now with non-skinned exe and it fits perfectly into the aero style. it's already great without doing anything special.
svenni1984

Post by svenni1984 »

could you post a picture?
BerniPi

Post by BerniPi »

Here is the requested screenshot of Mediamonkey in Vista: