Music scan & monitor ignores hidden files

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

SlasherMCT

Music scan & monitor ignores hidden files

Post by SlasherMCT »

I couldn't work out why my home grown program was reporting more files than MediaMonkey - answer - MM ignores hidden files and mine doesn't - the hidden attribute had been set on for an album (accidentally)

Some people may have the view that this behaviour is desirable. I don't like it though.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't read hidden files nor for music or for album art. I don't find this out of the ordinary and actually can be a helpful feature. You can hide stuff from MediaMonkey something some users like to do. And there is little sense to have a song hidden if it's visible through MediaMonkey.
SlasherMCT

Post by SlasherMCT »

Yeah - I was thinking it might be nice to have a warning on the scan - but that would be irritating for those users who do this.

I guess I can't get my head around the idea of hiding files from MM! MM is honouring the intent of the flag in the O/S though. But it is such as useless flag anyway imho.

I know it is used to hide files from novice OS users - I always want to know what is on my file system and it certainly isn't any use for protecting files.

It is a separate issue but I had to do a rescan because MM had missed a few hundred files added in although it had always been running and monitoring ....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

SlasherMCT wrote:But it is such as useless flag anyway imho.
Than why not unhide all your files?

Are you saying that the filemonitor didn't scan all files requiring you to do an Add/Rescan tracks?
SlasherMCT

Post by SlasherMCT »

Yes, I noticed a discrepancy of several hundred tracks between my own tool and MM.

I then did a manual rescan which fixed most of it and the other 16 or so were the hidden ones.

I will check from now on that I don't hide files. However the monitor has missed files even though I always run MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you allow the File Monitor to run at startup. This is best to make sure all tracks are added. Also make sure that you scan for all file types you have music in.
SlasherMCT

Post by SlasherMCT »

Yeah, I always run it, only use MP3 personally.

Nevertheless it missed some additions to the drive on which I keep the music
sonci

Re: Music scan & monitor ignores hidden files

Post by sonci »

I know this is old, but is it possible to see hidden files for Media Monkey
I have albums ripped in cue + image file, so usually I mark as hidden the image file, so it doesn`t show up in the playlists as a long track
for example Foobar sees the cue and play it correctly eventhough image file is hidden,
Peke

Re: Music scan & monitor ignores hidden files

Post by Peke »

MMW do not support CUE.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts