MP3: Tag synch, 'Custom fields' and 'Comment tag'

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Octopod

MP3: Tag synch, 'Custom fields' and 'Comment tag'

Post by Octopod »

Watching to the 'Unsynchronized tags' node of my library, i observe all my tracks are returned and no field is highlighted (all columns displayed). The help file says the may arise with hidden fields such as 'comment'.

I do not use the 'comment' tag but i recently set custom fields to all my tracks and i wonder if there is relation with the unsynch status of the tracks (as using other softwares i checked the tags are correct)?

Concerning these custom fields, why the 1st of them is set to the "Comment" tag? :o

Actually the only difference between a synch and an unsych track is in the comment tag:
Using MP3Tag v2.20, i get:
Synch --> comment = '2CD\Songs-DB_Custom2: 2CD\Songs-DB_Custom3: Live'
Unsynch --> comment = 'Songs-DB_Custom2: 2CD\Songs-DB_Custom3: Live'

Please explain :-?

Is there any interest for me to synchronize all my tracks regarding these custom fields??
jiri

Post by jiri »

In 'Unsynchronized tags' node only fields that are in ID3v1 tags are used for comparison, i.e. custom fields doen't influence what's shown in this node.

Custom fields are stored in comment tags of ID3v2, but not as ordinary comments -- they are stored as comments with 'content descriptors' as described in ID3v2 specification.

Jiri
BrantFranz

Post by BrantFranz »

Hello,

i also experience similar problems from tag synchronisation. most of my files are unsynchronized and i want to solve this issue. rescaning didn't help.
i use external mp3-tag-editors and some tags include information i really don't need, like comment or songtext eg. I think about to remove ID3v1 and delete information i never use from ID3v2.

I want to use these fields only: title, artist, album, year, genre, track #, cover-art (as mediamonkey might support this feature in the future :lol:)
Besides i ve already rated many songs and i use multiple artist albums.
are these informations stored in custom id3v2 tags or in database?
is there a tool to "batch-delete" unused tags? tag&rename and medimonkey don't do that, do they?

thx & greetings from austria
Peke

Post by Peke »

Try http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts It is the best of the best for Tagging MP3s 1000 in 15 Sec with loss of 0.3sec (1500Bytes from beginning of song if no IDv2).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jgm7683

Re: MP3: Tag synch, 'Custom fields' and 'Comment tag'

Post by jgm7683 »

I know this is a rather old post, but here's an easy way to clear fields in MediaMonkey for a large number of items...

Highlight them
Go into Properties
Check the box next to the field - unless they were all the same value, the field will be blank. Leave it blank (or empty it, if there was something there)
Click OK

MM will clear that field for all the MP3s selected.

I've done this accidentally, but luckily for only an album or two... but it sounds like you wanted to use this feature.

Now if I can only find out why my custom fields are randomly finding their way to the end of the comments section and blanked from the custom fields.... easy to fix, but a nuisance.
Lowlander

Re: MP3: Tag synch, 'Custom fields' and 'Comment tag'

Post by Lowlander »

I believe custom fields in comments is an old bug. If it's happening on the latest release (files that were fine on the latest release all of a sudden have this happen) you should capture it in a debug log (step 4b) if reproducible: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69 I haven't seen this happen on the latest releases, but I work mostly with FLAC.