Duplicate tracks appear on non-existing path (floppy drive)

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

stutes

Duplicate tracks appear on non-existing path (floppy drive)

Post by stutes »

For some reason in my MM database I suddenly have duplicates of approximately 200 songs, and the duplicates, according to MM, all reside on the root of the A: drive (the A: drive is a floppy drive and can't hold that many songs---and I've never stored MP3s on floppies). For example, for the track "Carrie", I have two entries, one located in at the path "A:\ROSANNE_CASH__TIL_THEIR_EYE.MP3" another on the media "[YOUNG 03]\ROSANNE_CASH__TIL_THEIR_EYE.MP3" (which is in the Virtual CD).

It appears that all are duplicates of the songs that I put in the Virtual CD from the "Young 03" disc.

The odd thing is this: both the original and the duplicate tracks appear as if they are available (neither are greyed out). But when you try to play either one, only the tracks on "Young 03" are actually available and playable.

Another weird thing is, when I delete the duplicate entries, I can hear my floppy drive being accessed.

Just curious what happened to cause MM to create the duplicates on a path that doesn't exist.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Sounds like you might have synchronised with an external drive/device and scanned it for content.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

My portable player shows up as a floppy.
stutes

Post by stutes »

I keep my Virtual CD and about a gigs worth of MP3s on an external drive, but I don't sync with it. The duplicate tracks were ones that I had copied onto my Virtual CD. There aren't any drives or devices that I sync with.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Did you maybe scan your VirtualCD path?
stutes

Post by stutes »

I don't think that I did. While some of my MP3s reside on the same external drive as my Virtual CD, I usually don't have need to scan anything on the external drive. And the MP3s and the Virtual CD reside in seperate directories, so the changes of accidentally clicking on the Virtual CD are minimal. All my scanning and monitored folders are on the C drive, not on my external drive.

This isn't a big issue, as I created an auto playlist that showed me which files where on this so-called A drive, and then went through them and deleted them, with out any adverse effects on the original file in the database. I'm just curious why this occured.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tip: Deleting tracks that don't exist can be done thru the dead links node in the files to edit node. Deleting files from the dead links node will not result in any files being deleted from your computer, just from the library.
stutes

Post by stutes »

If I recall correctly, they did not appear in the dead links. I can't verify that now though, as they've been deleted.