Album art issue when playing iPod Classic in MM3 (3.0.2.113)

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

amallen

Album art issue when playing iPod Classic in MM3 (3.0.2.113)

Post by amallen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:29 pm

I am still having a problem with iPod album art (the thumbnails in the iPod) getting messed up after playing my iPod Classic thru the official release of MM3. I play my iPod Classic thru MM3 using both a PC at work and my laptop at home. I have installed the MM3 official release, deleted and completely rebuilt my MM3 library at home , restored my iPod (i.e. - wiped it), and then sync'd using MM3. Everything looks good after that. But after I play some songs thru MM3 and eject, the album art on my iPod is messed up in two ways: 1) roughly half (not all) of the albums I played songs from no longer have album art and 2) some of the album art for other albums is mismatched. This issue was listed as fixed with RC5 (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +album+art) but apparently that is not the case. Using Rebuild Device Database fixes the issue but only until I play the iPod in MM3 again. FYI, all of my music is in mp3 format and all files have embedded album art. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas as to the cause?

dmode101

Post by dmode101 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:51 pm

I am still seeing the above issue as well. According to this thread this issue was fixed:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#117793

This problem is very frustrating, I love MM for managing my music, but using it as an Ipod player is corrupting my album art. Is anyone else seeing this problem? I also have an Ipod Classic 160gig so the problem could be related to those models only. Please address this soon, thanks!!

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:52 pm

It may be useful to know that MM3 and iTunes sort music titles differently. After using Rebuild Device Database in MM3 (1134), my albums are sorted in this order: ... (I have one album named ... And His Mother Called Him Bill), 123 (i.e. - albums that start with numbers such as 18 Greatest Hits), and finally A thru Z. I have another album, 'Round About Midnight, that shows up under R (i.e. - the tic is ignored). If I connect my iPod to iTunes and do a Sync without adding or removing any music, the database is rebuilt somehow (and very quickly). After ejecting from iTunes, the sort is: A thru Z and then 123. The ... is displayed but is ignored when sorting (i.e. - is sorted as And His Mother Called Him Bill; I forgot to check 'Round About Midnight). Could the sorting difference be what is scrambling the iPod album art (thumbnails)? Could it be screwing up the databases/indices on the iPod somehow?

amallen

Post by amallen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:54 pm

Oops, forgot to log in. amallen posted the message above.

jiri

Post by jiri » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:19 am

I tried but wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Could you try to find out more details about how to reproduce, which tracks have this problem, etc.?

Thanks,
Jiri

amallen

Post by amallen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 am

Jiri,

The problem is not limited to any individual track or set of tracks. The general pattern is that after playing my iPod Classic using MM3 and ejecting, iPod thumbnails are missing for albums that have been played (although as I state above, not always). It's also sometimes the case that a thumbnail for a recently played album is repeated several times and then the rest of the albums have no thumbnails (see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=). In my experience, the problem reproduces itself every time I play my iPod Classic using MM3. There was a period of a week or so a couple of months back where I did not experience the problem. I wonder if an earlier version (beta or RC) fixed the problem and a later one broke it again. I recently upgraded my iPod Classic software to version 1.1 so that is another possible source of the problem. Then there are "special" album names - specifically those with ..., (), ' (i.e. - special characters) at the beginning of an album name. If MM3 and iTunes sort music differently (described above), there could be an issue how they manipulate the iPod Classic database. FYI, I have experienced the issue running MM3 on two difference machines, both running Win XP Pro SP2. Since dmode101 is experiencing the problem with an iPod Classic could it be limited to that model?

That's all I have. If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

zdislaw

Post by zdislaw » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:56 pm

For me, this happens on every sync, seems to get a little better after I rebuild the ipod classic database, but seems to get worse as soon as I start listening to songs on the ipod. There is one Psychedelic Furs album cover that seems to be especially fond of replacing album art (on a song-by-song) basis on any number of other random songs, by different artists.

dmode101

Post by dmode101 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Psychedelic Furs...sweet! I bet your ipod collection looks like mine. I hope this problem is fixed soon. For now, I am forced to use Itunes as my Ipod player while I am at work. :o

zdislaw

Post by zdislaw » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:54 am

Yeah, that and "The Clash - London Calling" seem to take over as album art for most songs. Thankfully that London Calling cover is one of the greatest of all time!

Sblast

Post by Sblast » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:49 am

I have the same IPOD.
Album art is perfect.

barrboy89

Post by barrboy89 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:09 am

I have an 80gb classic and it does this too...its realllyyy annoying, especialy when it was such an effort getting all the album art sorted in the first place. Is there any solution?

dmode101

Post by dmode101 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:28 pm

I just wanted to bump this thread back up since the problem is still present in 1140. I can pretty much confirm that the issue is only with the new Classic Ipods. Again, the problem is this and 100% repeatable - Connect Ipod Classic to MM and navigate to an album in the MM Ipod node. Play the first track from any album for a few seconds, then stop song and eject device. Now navigate to that album on the Ipod it self and the album art for that song will be missing. If you skip to the next track it will be present as long as you never played it in the MM Ipod node. The only way to get the art back is to Rebuild Device Database. Can someone else with a Classic Ipod (160gig in my case) test this out? I don't think many people play their Ipod directly within MM since most of the time you would play music from your library instead. But in my case, I use MM as an Ipod player while I am at work and sync it up with my home computer that contains my music library. Thanks for everyone's help with this.

mwild

same problem ...

Post by mwild » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:27 am

80GB classic, 3.0.3.1140. Album art gets allocated at random or not at all. Rebuild helps but doesn't completely fix the problem. Floola seems to be able to fix the art problem but doesn't regognise the iPod initially - you have to connect it to iTunes to get some sort of re-initialisation done first.

dmode101

Post by dmode101 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:05 pm

WOO-HOO, this issue appears to be fixed in 1147!! :D

not just in MM

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:24 am

I came across this thread when I searched for "ipod classic album art bug." I have never used media monkey, but I am having a similar problem to the one described here. It started after I updated my iPod Classic to the newest firmware version. It seems like all of my album art has been scrambled. All but the most recently added music has incorrect art. Van Halen's 1984 shows up everywhere, even though (because?) I never listen to that album. Especially interesting: album art appears to remain on the iPod even after I delete its respective music.