Auto-DJ - adding tracks from current filter doesn't work

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

MnM

Auto-DJ - adding tracks from current filter doesn't work

Post by MnM »

Auto-DJ works fine, maintaining the correct number of upcoming tracks, as does the Now Playing track retention option. But "Add tracks from:" doesn't work as expected when Current Filter is selected. It seems to add tracks from anywhere in the library, just as if I'd selected Entire Library. Don't think I'm doing anything wrong, though I'm new to MM.

MM 3.2.0.1294, Win 7 Ultimate, Core 2 Duo, 2GB
MnM

Re: Auto-DJ - adding tracks from current filter doesn't work

Post by MnM »

Once more with feeling: I've raised a ticket on the helpdesk and attached a debug log.

Scenario for the log file: 4 tracks in the Now Playing list. Auto-DJ set to maintain at least 2 upcoming tracks and retain 1 previous track. I started the playlist playing, while the main track list was unfiltered. While the first track was playing, I selected a single album from the tree (Anthony Rother, row #956 in attached log file), with plenty of time remaining until end of first track, over a minute.

As the song ended, the next track selected by auto-dj was by Radiohead (row #1810), and the next by the Doves (#2519).

The behaviour doesn't change if I start MM with the track list filtered, and leave the filter unchanged, as the first track comes to an end - auto-dj still doesn't respect the option to pick from the current filter. I restarted MM (around #3826), the filter continued to show only the Anthony Rother album tracks, Now Playing had four items, I played the 2nd track in Now Playing, fast-forwarded to near the end of the track (#4353), then as the track ended, auto-dj picked an Eels track (#4618).

Hope that's a bit more helpful.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure that the filter is active? I just tested with a very limiting filter which only shows Artist = 10CC and Auto-DJ only adds tracks from that artist.
MnM

Post by MnM »

No!

I'm new to MM so could well be missing something obvious. But as double-clicking a track in the track list replaces the Now Playing playlist with the entire contents of the track list, I assumed that the filter was always in effect, though it had crossed my mind that it may not be.

Do I need to set something?

Thanks,
Matt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Go to File > Manage Filters and make sure that the filter you want to use is enabled.

The loading of the entire track list is unrelated to filters and is controlled by your settings under Tools > Options > Player. In the 'Play Now' action you can change the behavior to either play selected tracks or selected and subsequent tracks.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Lowlander wrote:Are you sure that the filter is active?
I confirm that Auto-DJ is working with a filter. I use this every so often.
But there's no need to activate a filter, Auto-DJ must be ON.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Eyal wrote:But there's no need to activate a filter, Auto-DJ must be ON.
For Current Filter to work the filter you want used must be active no?
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

"Current Filter"? Yes, I gess it does.
I never tried this one, I didn't knew it exists.
I mostly use MM in french, and it's listed as "Sélection actuelle", meaning "Current selection".
Sorry, I thought MnM was talking about any filter that can be selected in Auto-DJ.

Thanks for the tip.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
MnM

Post by MnM »

Sorry for the confusion - here's where I went wrong:

When the track list is restricted by criteria set in the library tree and/or the track browser, I have come to think of that as 'filtering' the track list. I haven't had much need to use the separate Filter functionality (under File -> Manage filters). So, when auto-dj gave me the option to use the current filter, I thought it meant it should pick from the tracks currently showing in the track list.

Clearly that's not the case, so certainly not a bug, but before this gets closed off completely, do you see any obvious reason for me not to put something about this in the wishlist instead?

It's probably not the first time someone has considered whether auto-dj should, as an option, pick from the tracks currently in the track list. It may be suitable as a Gold option only, as it may slightly cannibalise the Filters feature, which is Gold only. But you'd get the benefits of the MM UI to guide auto-dj, which I think would be very powerful - e.g. it would give a very easy way to switch from playing a selection of electronica to a selection of rock. Then again, I haven't used filters as I don't have Gold, so not sure how easy they are to use.

Many thanks,
Matt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I personally don't think that would be very useful as the Tracklisting is used for navigating around the library. One would be forced to remain in that list while MediaMonkey is running. If you would only want those tracks to play you can add them to the Now Playing and let it repeat the list over and over (turn off Auto-DJ and played track removal for this). Alternatively you can make that list a playlist or filter and use it as Auto-DJ criteria.

You're always free to request this feature though.
MnM

Post by MnM »

Cool - understood - I'll raise it though as I have something in mind (could be very handy if/when MM gets UPnP control point functionality, for a number of reasons).

Thanks again both.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

I personally think the Auto-DJ flavor in question (only select from current visible song list) makes the most sense. Why? Let's say I start a party so I set occasion to party and mood to tranquil. Later I change mood to mellow or upbeat. Later I change genre to latin and so on. All of the time I want Auto-DJ to add tracks from the currently visible song list without playing a song twice (for it may be visible in multiple subsequent visible lists). I know that this is kind of useless if you are browsing all the time but after all I am using Auto-DJ because I do not want to browse all the time ;) If I want to select music manually I use a higher prefetch queue for the Auto-DJ :)
Since this feature is missing in MM I implemented it myself as a MM extension. The download is here:
https://github.com/tilm4nn/mm-visibleso ... j/releases
You are welcome to try and to contribute to it :)