mediamonkey remove id3 track problem [#4920]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

techsc

mediamonkey remove id3 track problem [#4920]

Post by techsc »

After more than one year waiting for a fix, the problem is still present:

mm Version: 3.2.4.1304

Problem Description:
Mediamonkey is unable to remove or adjust correctly the id3 tags track# and/or disc#, if they are present in the format x/y (x=track number, y=total number of tracks).

Example:
id3 track value is "1/9". Within mm, the part "/9" is hidden and allways preserved.

The issue was first submitted on 14.01.2010.
Eyal

Re: mediamonkey remove id3 track problem

Post by Eyal »

True, I confirm.

Meanwhile you get fix the tracks by deleting tags and re-synchronizing:

1) Select tracks to fix and click: Tools|Advanced Tag Management|Clear ID2v1 and v2 Tags.
2) Click Ctrl-S to re-create tags (or Tools|Advanced Tag Management|Synchronize Tags).

-> Don't deselect or change view between steps 1 and 2 otherwise you'll lose the album art.

:~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Lowlander

Re: mediamonkey remove id3 track problem

Post by Lowlander »

techsc

Re: mediamonkey remove id3 track problem [#4920]

Post by techsc »

@lowlander:

Thank you for taking care!

Chris
techsc

Post by techsc »

I have read the bug report. It tells that mm is limited in saving such "/" delimiter. But I want to have the tags clean of any "/" parts.

However, the real problem is that mm totally ignores the "/" part, also if already existing at the track & disc tag.

So if one just wants to have clean track and disc information, currently mm will only appear to work correctly by just hiding the "/" part. mm is not able to remove that unwanted part from tags.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

MM hiding that information is covered under this entry: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5878
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think the logic is that MediaMonkey shouldn't remove things it can't show the user. I think that's a fair logic. If x/x support is implemented this would be resolved.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

What I don't understand is why "x/y" is (currently) hidden within MM. I thought while in MM2 the Track # field had to be an integer, with MM3 it was changed over to accept strings so that things such as "A1" could be entered. I mean... the field works fine with "51.1" and "22+23" so what reason is there for "x/y" to not display properly? Whether there's a possibility that "total tracks/discs" would be supported in the future or not, I think the bug that the "x/y" string is not shown correctly should be fixed ASAP.
techsc

Post by techsc »

Just installed MediaMonkey 4.0.2 - the issue is not fixed.

I see, that no one at MediaMonkey gives attention to this.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

techsc wrote:Just installed MediaMonkey 4.0.2 - the issue is not fixed.

I see, that no one at MediaMonkey gives attention to this.
It has not been fixed yet as you can see by the already posted bug tracker ticket:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5878
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MonkeyChecker

Post by MonkeyChecker »

Hi there,

I've run into the same problem with <track#>/<total-tracks#> support (as well as <disc#>/<total-discs#>). I'm really surprised that such an simple issue is known and unfixed since years now. I'm currently trying to move from itunes (bad privacy practise) to an alternative like MMW but this is frustrating with details like this.

What's the problem? The issue is documented in
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5878 and
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=4920

From this simple point of view I expect MMW to just do the following:
1. displaying the "/n"-part, if exists (it's an optional part according to http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Text_informati ... _-_details - see below)
2. providing a second field for "total tracks on disk" in the edit dialogue for a file
3. parsing the "TRCK" ID3 tag with a regex like this: /^(\d)+\/?(\d)*$/ where $1 results into the field "track number" and $2 into the field "total tracks on disk"
4. when writing "TRCK" ID3 tag back to file: joining both fields from edit dialogue and write them accordingly to the format n/t into "TRCK" ID3 tag (do not write a wrong format like n/t/t2 any more)
5. of course the same for the <disc#>/<total-discs#> ID3 tag :)

This is the ID3 tag definition according to http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Text_informati ... _-_details

Code: Select all

TRCK
The 'Track number/Position in set' frame is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original 
recording. This may be extended with a "/" character and a numeric string containing the total number of tracks/elements 
on the original recording. E.g. "4/9". 

As you can see.. Issue Details 5878 and 4920 read much bigger than the issue actually is.

Thank you so much if this could be solved soon right now.

Michael.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Escalated for re evaluation.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts