Missing Files from Library

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

oddwaffle

Missing Files from Library

Post by oddwaffle »

I recently found out this odd problem with MM 4.01. Some of my tracks are missing in the library for no reason at all. I have a collection of 8 CD classical music ripped into flac format in my Music folder; Each CD with its own folder. CD1 to CD4 are somehow missing from my library and rescanning them into the library doesn't help at all. The only way I can get them back is to use the "Clear Database" function then rescan right after. However, they disappear again if I close MM. Also, if I use "Clear Database" then close MM then reopen to rescan then none of the CD1 to CD4 tracks appear in the library.
BKKKPewsey

Re: Missing Files from Library

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Have you checked in your "classical music node"
If you use the entire library node in the media tree you can find out what "type" MM has classified your files as.
:)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

JulZin

Post by JulZin »

I just upgraded to 4.01 and generally view files in "Location" mode. So the folder I'm using right now has most of its files missing... and with a slightly sick feeling, I've come to realise and finally discover that what you've done is strip out one genre, "Classical", from all others and put those tracks in a separate "Location" node!!! I can't believe how stupid that is. A Bug made out of pure, idle tinkering. Media Monkey is great, the interface has been further cleaned up, search is brilliant, but this.. Is there any way of undoing it? Or being able to configure it (Why classical?? What about interviews and documentaries &co on classical subjects? What's the reason for it, is it a helpful separation? I have a mass of Jazz, would that be better served by the special location?)
JulZin

Post by JulZin »

Phew ok sorry - I'd clicked under Music, rather than Entire Library. But it is maybe a little.. confusing/unnecessary to offer a ghetto for classical music ?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Classical Music is different in that it is Composer oriented and not Artist, thus it has it's own Properties layout and can have different views set.
oddwaffle

Post by oddwaffle »

Ok CD1 to CD4 are in Classical Music Node while CD5 to CD8 are in the normal music node. Also my Bethoveen Collection is in the normal music node.8 CDs are classical. Is there anyway to stop MM from moving my stuff around?

Edit: Alright,I tinker with the nodes and found out that I can disable the confused "Music" and "Classical Music" by just using the "Entire Library" option. I don't even know why this is not enabled in the first place when MM knows it fails to recognize classical music and people hate it when their music are split into different places
JulZin

Post by JulZin »

Thanks for giving the Classical rationale.
I see the composer column in there, but.. is that it?
How I get around that aspect is to put the composer's name, followed by a colon, at the start of the title (many of my MP3s are exported from MP2 DAB radio streams)
If users want to break down their classical collections further (baroque/chamber/vocal/whatever) then "classical" doesn't work.. but then those extra tags cover forces/instrumentation/era/style and would have to be concurrent... therefore in the Custom tags.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses Genre to determine Type so if some discs are in Music and other in Classical Music it is because of differing Genres.

For more see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _Rules/4.0
svburke

Post by svburke »

I thought I understood how the music vs. classical music collections worked, but apparently I don't.

I thought MM4 determined collection based on genre, specifically, whether the genre had the word "classical" in it. I had a number of tracks whose genre was "Baroque" (in other words, they are in fact classical music, but the name I'd given the genre didn't include the word "classical"). So I changed the genre to "Classical/Early." The tracks are still in the music collection, not classical music. I then read on the Wiki page that MM determines type based on genre when it scans. So I figured rescanning would take care of it. Nope -- still the track appears in the music collection.

What the heck is type, anyway? Is it part of the file metadata, or just something stored in the MMDB? What do I need to do to get my tracks into the right collection? Do I need to edit the type for each track? That would be rather a bother at this point.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

svburke wrote:I thought I understood how the music vs. classical music collections worked, but apparently I don't.

I thought MM4 determined collection based on genre, specifically, whether the genre had the word "classical" in it. I had a number of tracks whose genre was "Baroque" (in other words, they are in fact classical music, but the name I'd given the genre didn't include the word "classical"). So I changed the genre to "Classical/Early." The tracks are still in the music collection, not classical music. I then read on the Wiki page that MM determines type based on genre when it scans. So I figured rescanning would take care of it. Nope -- still the track appears in the music collection.

What the heck is type, anyway? Is it part of the file metadata, or just something stored in the MMDB? What do I need to do to get my tracks into the right collection? Do I need to edit the type for each track? That would be rather a bother at this point.
No. MM uses "Type" to determine what collection a track is in (by default, this also depends on your specific collection settings).

However, there is also some automatic assigning of "Type" to tracks based on the file type and genre when you import the file into your library for the first time.

Type is just a database flag that differentiates different types of media from one another. It's just another field in your library you can use to sort through many different types of files.

Changing the "Type" for each track is really not a huge bother, you can select tracks en masse and change the "Type" field for all of them at once.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jvhovig

Post by jvhovig »

MM4 performs the update when it upgrades your library from MM3. I had the word Classical in all my classical-style Genre tags, so it correctly put all that music into the Type labeled Classical Music. So if you didn't have the word Classical in your genre(s) at the time you upgraded, you will need to do a mass-update of your relevant files. Not a big deal, and done very quickly, but just FYI, to answer your original question. (I'm not a MM4 developer; it's just something that I noticed during the upgrade process).
MikeCraney

Post by MikeCraney »

Yes, this is a massively stupid thing to do, pulling "Classical Music" in its own bucket.

ESPECIALLY, as in my case, you properly subdivide your "non pop" music according to era. I have "Renissance", "Baroque", "Romantic" and "Contemporary", all of which the "geniuses" at MediaMonkey would classify as "Classical", so now my "non pop" music is in two different buckets.

Solution ---- redefine my "Classical" tagged stuff as "Classic". Problem solved, but rather stupid to have to resort to such a workaround.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Or modify the Music Collection rules to include Type Classical.

Anyway customization of Type rules will be reviewed for 4.1.
Eric Genname

Post by Eric Genname »

I have my own physical folders within My Music called Classical, Jazz, etc., and I leave the Genre property blank, or just ignore it. In MM3, ripped flac files always showed up at their proper position within Location. Now they sometimes end up within Genre and not Location. How can Location not show everything? Isn't it a listing of physical locations?

I have also ripped CDs with the Genre "classical" that didn't show up anywhere I could find. If I deleted the files, MM noted they had been removed. If I first changed their Genre tags with Mp3tag, MM listed them under Location, as I would expect.

Whatever the intent of this change, I find it to be very confusing: I add files to MM as I've been used to, and they seemingly get lost. Then when I discover where MM has put them, I discover that's a change I don't want. Then, I learn I must first use another program to modify the flac files so MM can read them as I prefer, and as it used to. Not good.
Last edited by Eric Genname on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.