Don't remove unavailable items if UNC is unavailable [#8863]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

tommycrock

Don't remove unavailable items if UNC is unavailable [#8863]

Post by tommycrock »

Long story, short suggestion:
If the root folder that's being monitored is unavailable, MediaMonkey probably shouldn't prune the contents of that folder and its subfolders from the library even when 'remove unavailable items' is ticked - or should at least ask the user. Obviously, if subfolders (only) are missing their contents should be pruned. This means that in the case of hard drive or network failure the library isn't lost while keeping the value of 'remove unavailable items'. It also shouldn't require much programming to achieve :)
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to Bug Report forum
Lowlander

Re: Don't remove unavailable items if root folder is unavail

Post by Lowlander »

It's the whole point of removing unavailable items. I believe though that if the drive isn't available that the files won't be removed (as an unavailable drive may be of temporary nature).
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

I'm not sure if you're understanding? If I'm monitoring the "My Music" folder and "My Music" is unavailable, I suggest items shouldn't be removed without prompting the user. Obviously if anything within what I've asked to be monitored is missing (a whole genre's folder or artist's folder for example), it should be got rid of.
I don't know specifically about drives, but I do know about network locations - and lost the whole library as a result. It's my fault, I'm not whining but I can't imagine people would often have set up a root folder to monitor, that they delete or rename or is inaccessible, but they want MM to keep monitoring the folder that doesn't exist...
Maybe other people use the file monitor very differently from me, but I only have a very few root folders selected in it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

And why would the folder be temporarily unavailable? Drives can be (think external/network), but folders don't tend to be temporarily unavailable. Thus it's logical that the root folder gets the same treatment as sub-folders.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Well I am talking about a network location - network connection down, folder temporarily unavailable. I'm suggesting the important thing is not the drive but the root folder.

I guess my question is why not? Why not at least ask? I'd have thought it would be rare that it would be triggered and rare users would want the answer to be yes.
For me, the purpose of the feature is to tidy up everything else, not remove my entire collection.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said if the drive (internal/external or network location) is unavailable the files on the drive shouldn't be removed from the Library. If files are removed from an unavailable drive that would be a bug.

How are you connecting to the network drive (IP, UNC or mapped drive)?
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

UNC:
\\diskstation\music
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If \\discstation is unavailable no files should be removed from the Library from it. If you do experience this you may want to capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and send it to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Okay, will do. Shame I've just scanned in the whole collection again :lol:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Copy the DB and do the debug, the restore DB: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Thanks!
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

I submitted ticket YAW-575064. Apparently, it is expected behaviour.
So, I repeat my wish that if the root folder or network location or drive - whichever you'd prefer - is unavailable, MM prompts the user to ask if all items should be removed.
Personally, I don't see that behaviour as the point of the 'remove unavailable items' option, but it's clearly the consequence. I see the point being that it keeps your library in sync with a collection that you edit from outside of MM. It also makes the option very dangerous on a network location, as I discovered.
Do I have support from you Lowlander?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the location (the network location) is unavailable files shouldn't be removed. That is my understanding of how MediaMonkey works, but I could be mistaken.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Okay, for an experiment I put some files on an external drive. When I unplug the external drive, the files don't disappear from the library, so you were right. However, for the network location they disappear, at least with UNC.
So it sounds like it is a bug, because the expected behaviour is that if the root location is unavailable it doesn't remove the files from the library. I'll try reopening the ticket and see what happens.
You can do the experiment too. Add a network folder to the file monitor, turn on 'remove unavailable items', switch off networking, see what happens
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Just to say the issue is being tracked (and has been for a very long time!) in Mantis:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8863