Reverse sort by "#" column in static playlist [#12494]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

skudbucket

Reverse sort by "#" column in static playlist [#12494]

Post by skudbucket »

I would really like to be able to reverse sort a static playlist by the "#" column. Currently, if you sort a static playlist by something like "Artist", the "#" column allows you to put it back into the original order. But for some reason, unlike all of the other columns, clicking the "#" column again doesn't sort the playlist in reverse order. This doesn't make a lot of sense, since it seems like it would be so easy to do, and other media players like iTunes and whatnot all do have this capability. While I definitely prefer MediaMonkey to iTunes for a lot of other reasons, I do miss some common-sense features like this one.

As an example of why this would be useful, I have a playlist to which I add my current favorite song, whenever it changes. It creates a nice chronological record of what music I most enjoyed at different times. It's interesting to listen to in the original order, from oldest song to newest, but sometimes I want to hear it the other way, from my current favorite song and working backwards into the past. The playlist is very long, too long for re-ordering by hand to make sense, so it would be great if this was just as simple as clicking the "#" column to sort the playlist in reverse order.

In case it is helpful for anyone, there is a current workaround for this problem that uses the now playing pane to get the tracks to play in reverse, it's just a lot more work than sorting by "#". Here's what I do:
1) On the menu bar View > Now Playing to make sure the now playing pane is visible.
2) Right click inside the now playing pane to bring up Now Playing options, View > Show Now Playing Controls to make sure the now playing controls are visible.
3) Remove everything from the now playing list. Add the playlist you want to play in reverse.
4) In the now playing controls choose Edit > Reverse list.
Now you can play the playlist backwards. It took a bunch of digging around in the interface for me to figure out how to do it, though, and it's a far cry from the ease of 1 click :P
Lowlander

Re: Reverse sort by "#" column in static playlist

Post by Lowlander »

It works once on the latest beta till you enter the Playlist again: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12494