MediaMonkey Crashes...

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

milflicker

MediaMonkey Crashes...

Post by milflicker »

When scanning directory and file paths that exceed the 260 character limit.

Media Monkey 4.1.6.1723
Windows 8.1 64bit
dtsig

Re: MediaMonkey Crashes...

Post by dtsig »

I believe that is an os limitation .. combination of paths/file.name
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
milflicker

Post by milflicker »

So does anyone have any actual helpful information to contribute towards a solution?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

dtsig is correct. It's an OS thing.

I believe the only solution is to shorten the paths that pose a problem, or redo (replace current scheme) your whole folder structure
if it's based on a scheme that would cause this to occur frequently.

....and yes, it can be a pain to do that if you have many that are a problem. :(
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Peke

Post by Peke »

4.1.6.1736 should not crash but ignore such paths.
To find what is Affected here is small app to scan for such files http://www.happymonkeying.com/eSupport/ ... han255.exe
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Peke wrote:4.1.6.1736 should not crash but ignore such paths.
Interesting. Is this an "actual" bug for previous versions of MM? I have several that go over the limit, and have "always" had some, but I don't
remember ever having an issue when scanning with MM.
Peke wrote:To find what is Affected here is small app to scan for such files http://www.happymonkeying.com/eSupport/ ... han255.exe
Thanks Peke! I had an old free program that did a similar job, but it was unintuitive. This is way simpler and a "much" nicer interface!
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
only1miller

Post by only1miller »

I also experienced this issue after moving my media files to a new server with a more complex nested path. I was able to ferret out the offending files and make adjustments, but it was infuriating until I realized what the problem was.

It might be an OS limitation, but the way MM handles the exception needs to be addressed- simply crashing is not the way the program should handle over-long paths. Auto-skip with a status windows at the end indicating the files in question would be ideal.
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

Is this really fixed, or at least handled? Last time I used MM it was crashing trying to import my library from my Drobo (both from a Native Windows install with driver for the HFS+ formatted drive, and from a Windows VM that had read/write access to the Drobo) because of some really long path/file names. (example G:\iTunes Library\Music\<ALBUM NAME>\<long track name>)

Will test and report back, and will check with Peke's tool.

BTW Does Windows, particularly Windows 10 really still only handle 255 characters for the complete path+filename? That's terrible.