menu bar problem

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

iamme

menu bar problem

Post by iamme »

I am having difficulty with the appearance of the windows desktop version of mediamonkey. The menu bar is hidden behind the mediamonkey toolbars. This occurs regardless of which toolbars are open. It does not occur when the windows system theme is selected. In this case the menu bar appears in the title bar.

I'm presuming this is not intentional. My setup is windows 8.1 with 3200x1800 resolution.

Is there a way to fix this? is it a bug? Is it known already. apologies if this has been covered before, I could not find this problem using the search.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: menu bar problem

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried moving the Toolbars away to a different location?

Also are you on MediaMonkey 4.1.6?
iamme

Post by iamme »

Yes I've tried moving, closing, trying different skins and different sizes of window. The file, tools etc menu drop downs are there, but the menu itself is almost entirely hidden.

Yeah. up to date 4.1.6.1736.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is it hidden behind toolbars or is it set to auto-hide (View > Main menu bar disabled)?

Post by Guest »

Where are they skin choice buttons by the 3 buttons on the top right corner. I can't find them.
iamme

Post by iamme »

@Lowlander I checked that. Its definitely enabled and there. If I click the mouse I get the drop down menus, I just cannot seen the menu in the first place.

@Guest I'm not sure what you mean. I have never seen skin options in the normal interface. You have to go into the tools>options menu to change skins as far as I know. But to access the options menu you need to be able to see the menu bar, which for me is hidden. I presume it is the same for you...
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

iamme wrote:@Lowlander I checked that. Its definitely enabled and there. If I click the mouse I get the drop down menus, I just cannot seen the menu in the first place.

@Guest I'm not sure what you mean. I have never seen skin options in the normal interface. You have to go into the tools>options menu to change skins as far as I know. But to access the options menu you need to be able to see the menu bar, which for me is hidden. I presume it is the same for you...

The guest sounds to be talking about the 3 maximize minimize and close buttons there should be a few others for picking which player you want to use.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by Guest »

Does it happen in unskinned (windows system) mode?
iamme

Post by iamme »

Ive tried several different options to check the behaviour. The menu bar is present but hidden normally.

When the tab bar is disabled the menu bar disappears altogether.

The menubar is ok when the windows theme is enabled. And thank you to the guest, Ive just realised that the button for changing to the mini player is also missing unless windows theme is selected.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

iamme

Post by iamme »

Thanks. I've pinned it down a bit more. It is not the high resolution that is the problem, but the scaling options built in to windows to correct for high PPI displays. In the windows 8.1 display settings, if I select the "Smaller" end of the scale in the "change the size of all items" section, the problem is "fixed" and I can see the menu bar. (you must log out and in again to make it work). Of course this now means that the menu bar (and everything else) is too small to read.

I'm am not sure how the scaling works, but it would appear that the windows scaling options change the size of the menu bar, but not the mediamonkey toolbars (or anything else mediamonkey) so the mediamonkey toolbars end up on top of the menu bar.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I presume that this may not get addressed until MediaMonkey 5 as it's likely the underlying skinning engine that wasn't designed for this.
GRC50

Post by GRC50 »

iamme wrote:Thanks. I've pinned it down a bit more. It is not the high resolution that is the problem, but the scaling options built in to windows to correct for high PPI displays. In the windows 8.1 display settings, if I select the "Smaller" end of the scale in the "change the size of all items" section, the problem is "fixed" and I can see the menu bar. (you must log out and in again to make it work). Of course this now means that the menu bar (and everything else) is too small to read.

I'm am not sure how the scaling works, but it would appear that the windows scaling options change the size of the menu bar, but not the mediamonkey toolbars (or anything else mediamonkey) so the mediamonkey toolbars end up on top of the menu bar.
I recently upgraded to a 27" iMac 5K running Boot Camp for Windows 10 apps and I've now "lost" my menu bar for what looks like the same reason. Display resolution is set to 5120 x 2880 and "change the size of text, apps and other items" setting is at 250%. Reducing the latter does make the menu bar re-appear slightly above the MM bar (sufficient to access) but kind of defeats the object of having a big hi-res screen. MM version 4.1.13.1801 with clean install (repeated twice).

Any thoughts?

By the way - MM is not the only app to suffer like this - the wonderful ListFix is practically unreadable on my iMac (fonts too small) so I have to use it on a "normal" laptop, ditto my Voip app plus some others.

Edit - I found a simple work around for now - reinstall with the <enable full skinning (override Windows)> option unchecked. Doesn't look so good but the menu items are back!
Devialet D200 + Dynaudio lover; Squeezebox lover; Jazz lover; Red wine lover
MM Gold / Windows 10 servers + i-Things
What hope is there ... ?