May have found an obscure bug

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

frankenpod

May have found an obscure bug

Post by frankenpod »

MM seems inconsistent in how it deals with periods at the end of track names.

If a track is named "something inc." then if you tell it to auto-organise it will put a second period at the end, so it becomes "something inc..mp3". But if you are ripping it from CD it will only use one period, so the identically-named track becomes "something inc.mp3"

Causes a small problem if you are re-ripping a track. Seems to me that ripping and auto-organising should behave the same way about this.
Lowlander

Re: May have found an obscure bug

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey are you using?
frankenpod

Post by frankenpod »

Lowlander wrote:Which version of MediaMonkey are you using?

And, it's happened a couple of times, when re-ripping tracks with punctuation [edit - maybe just periods, '.' and '...' both had the issue] at the end of the name. Not a biggie, but does seem as if its not following the same rules with ripping vs auto-organising.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I've never noticed this before but I can replicate it in 1751. I tried putting multiple periods at the end of a CD track title as well as directly in the filename mask. All periods at the end of the mask result are removed for CD ripping but not for auto-organize. It's very minor but I can see how it would be a problem if you expect a previous rip to be overwritten by a new rip.
frankenpod

Small bug with trailing punctuation in track name

Post by frankenpod »

Posted this in 'help' forum, now decided it is a genuine (if small) bug so copying it to here.

MM seems inconsistent in how it deals with periods at the end of track names.

If a track is named "something inc." then if you tell it to auto-organise it will put a second period at the end, so it becomes "something inc..mp3". But if you are ripping it from CD it will only use one period, so the identically-named track becomes "something inc.mp3"

Causes a small problem if you are re-ripping a track. Seems to me that ripping and auto-organising should behave the same way about this.

build 1751
Windows 7
dtsig

Re: Small bug with trailing punctuation in track name

Post by dtsig »

Good find. The Auto-Organize is a little tooo literal.
If I was you I would submit a bug to support for this one as it really is unexpected behavior.
Here are the notes I created when recreating the issue:

1) put in unknown cd
2) in MMW change track 01 Title to Something Inc (no trailing '.')
3) in MMW change track 02 Title to Something Inc. (trailing '.')

4) Right Click CD and select RIP

Rip CD dialog pops up and shows these tracks to be created ..

C:\My Music\Unknown\Unknown Album (7-22-2015 6-37-49 AM)\01 Unknown - Something Inc.mp3
C:\My Music\Unknown\Unknown Album (7-22-2015 6-37-49 AM)\02 Unknown - Something2 Inc.mp3

That is expected because Something2 Inc..mp3 is not a good name.

5) Click to rip tracks
6) Tracks created filenames (no extra '.') correctly
7) MMW, under Music Note, shows the Titles correctly as

Something Inc
Something Inc.

8) select the two tracks and Ctrl-R (reorganize) using the default mask of ./<artist> - <title> and click OK

The display of 'New Path' will show that it will create Something2 Inc..mp3 which is incorrect.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It seems to happen for both Rip and Auto-Organize for me: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12797

The key is that the tag with the trailing dots is last in the folder or filename.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Interesting. When i put in a disk I got Track01 track02 etc. I changed Track01 to "SOMETHING INC" and Track02 to "SOMETHING INC.". After ripping it created "SOMETHING INC.mp3" and "SOMETHING INC.mp3" as one would expect (hope for). But Auto-Organize actually added the '.' to the filename.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Onweerwolf

Auto organize removes dots at end...

Post by Onweerwolf »

When, for instance, an album title ends with "..." at the end of the title and you set auto organize to use the album name as a subfolder for organizing the files MM removes the dots in the folder name. Is there any thing I can do about that.

Also, why does MM do this?
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post