MM crashes trying to do too many things at once

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Edgar

MM crashes trying to do too many things at once

Post by Edgar »

MediaMonkey just generated and sent an automatic crash report that seems to be related to the following:

Windows 7 SP1; motherboard: Asus P5E3 Deluxe; CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz
RAM: will one thing you really get 2 x OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 4GB Kits = 8 GB total
graphics: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6700;
CD drives:
DH-20A4P-04 Lite-On DVD-RW ide
iHAS120-04 20X LITE-ON DVD-RW SATA
SATA hard drives (1 each except as noted):
Crucial 960 GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB
Western Digital 750GB
Western Digital 2TB (music files)
(2) Western Digital 4TB (7 2TB partitions - music files; 1 2TB partition for data)
USB external hard drives:
(3) Seagate 4TB (6 2TB partitions - music files)
(2) Seagate 2TB (music files)

Music storage: 8 2TB partitions (all about half-full of WAVs, M4As plus a few MP3s and FLACs; 332,959 files in total, 5815.4 GB); 8 2TB partitions used as backup for the music partitions. When I got my first 4 TB drive I found that MediaMonkey would not deal with partitions larger than 2 TB.

MediaMonkey version: I always immediately install the newest non-skinned beta as soon as I get emails saying it is available. I play music with MediaMonkey continuously from the time I wake up and launch it to the time I go to bed and exit it; during the day, if I leave the house, I will press the stop button and leave it idling.

I'm experiencing two (probably related) issues when MediaMonkey tries to do two "things" at once. One of the "things at once" is playing random tunes from a large (more than 200,000 tunes) playlist; the other is tagging a large (probably more than 100, almost always more than 500) number of files (some, if not all, of which are on the playlist). Generally, the tagging is via the Context Menu's item "Auto-Tag from Filename…"but it can also happen from the Properties dialog. This is been going on for at least a year, probably two or more.

The most infrequent (infrequently = currently, maybe once every 20 times I launch MediaMonkey and this is been happening with diminishing frequency over the last ~1 year) problem is that MediaMonkey exits/closes itself for no apparent reason. When this happens I might not even be tagging; I might be playing and monitoring (e.g. shortly after starting MediaMonkey). This appears to be a "crash" because, upon relaunch, the currently playing song is the same as the first song of the crashed lunch (even though 10 or 15 songs might have played).

Frequently (at least 25-33% of the time when tagging 150 files, 90%+ when tagging 500+ files):
1) MediaMonkey starts looping a 10 second (approximately) clip of the current tune.
2) The status bar which shows the title and artist in the playing timeline (among some other widgets) continues to show playing progress as though the full song is still playing and, when the current song appears to be finished, displays the artist and title of another song and it's timeline progresses just as though it were playing (although no sound comes out of the speakers other than the looping clip in type #1).
3) The tagging process slows way down.
4) I can use the "stop playing" widget which stops the progress of the displayed "current song".
5) No other controls seem to do anything (though I never do much exploring around because I don't want to lose the tagging-in-progress.
6) Even after the tagging is completed the only way to break the loop is to manually exit MediaMonkey (since the advent of MediaMonkey64Helper* I can almost always do this with the "red X close button" in the top right corner of the window; sometimes I must use the Task Manager); regardless of which method I use the database entry for "currently playing song" is not updated.

* MediaMonkey64Helper - very rarely I will notice that there are two copies of this showing when I run the Task Manager. I suspect that this is because MediaMonkey has terminated improperly. Here's a screen grab:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/onz4bemspx9nc ... s.zip?dl=0
–Edgar

64-bit Windows 10 MediaMonkey Lifetime Gold 3, 4 & beta5
Asus ASUS Prime X299-Deluxe motherboard
sound system: Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK mixer, JBL Eon 15 G2 speakers as mains and mains subs, and JBL Eon610 mains with Tascam LF-S8 sub as near field monitors at the computer
Peke

Re: MM crashes trying to do too many things at once

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I'm unable to replicate the issue at all just Tagged 28k+ tracks at one go and played music without any issue. Only difference I see is taht I have lower PC specs and around 120k tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts