MM doesn't preserve leading spaces in folder names

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Metahec

MM doesn't preserve leading spaces in folder names

Post by Metahec »

I clean up metadata in a separate folder before adding to my library. It looks like this:

/! Incoming
/ Queue
/To Be Added 1
/Band
/Some Other Band
...etc
/Library Folder 1
/Library Folder 2
...etc

So I put new music to clean up metadata in /! Incoming/ Queue/ before adding to the library so that it floats on top of my directory tree and is easy to find. While editing metadata of individual tracks, the tracks will be moved to /! Incoming/Queue (notice the missing leading space in the folder name) as MM saves the metadata to file. If I make edits on all tracks in the directory, thus moving all music out of the folder, MM will ask if I also want to move the other files (artwork, .cue, etc) -- so that's good! But it doesn't tell me where those files were being moved to -- so that was sort of surprising. Also good is that MM will preserve any folder structures under the / Queue folder, so at least the tracks and associated files stay together -- so that's also good!

The solution on my end is simple: just replace that leading space with something else. But you might want to be aware in case this creates other unintended issues elsewhere.
Peke

Re: MM doesn't preserve leading spaces in folder names

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Although, not false by windows standard it was never suggested to be used as it creates more issues than solutions. Like you pointed using "!" as a first character always sort it correctly, due the most commonly accepted sort standard.
Leading space in folder names is trimmed as it creates much more incompatibility and bugs than any other characters, like bad sort/sync/playlists/search/...
It was requested and by design that we trim leading space/tab character in order to avoid such issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Re: MM doesn't preserve leading spaces in folder names

Post by Lowlander »

Use _ as MediaMonkey can ignore it on tagging from folder/filename.