Randomize List tops out at 1574 songs [#14859]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

cl1

Randomize List tops out at 1574 songs [#14859]

Post by cl1 »

Using latest (MM 4.1.20.1864 at time of posting). With around 3000 total songs needing to be played, 1574 songs are always selected out from Randomize List. I have tried it several times with whatever variations I can think of. Here is my approach, learned from MM posters:

Turn off shuffle.
Make a playlist of songs and name it with date included.
Select the playlist for playing, or maybe it is already selected.
Click to bring up Now playing window, or maybe it is already visible.
At the right hand smaller version of Now Playing, see all songs in the list numbered from 1 to 2xxx or 3xxx.
Right click a song and select List->Randomize List.
Observe that the right hand Now Playing screen shows 1574 songs only.
Play around and see that no trick will bring back all the songs.
Call 1574 out of double the total worthless and write this bug report.

Thank you!
Last edited by cl1 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Randomize List tops out at 1574 songs

Post by Lowlander »

Just tried with the beta 4.1.21.1867 and can't reproduce.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I can reproduce this in 4.1.21.1868 but it takes one extra step to make it happen - the track disappearance occurs the next time any track starts playing.
  • Add a large number of tracks to Now Playing.
  • Randomize List
  • Double click any track in Now Playing to play that track, or just click Play MM isn't already playing.
  • Some tracks may now have disappeared
The chance of it happening appears to be proportional to the number of tracks in the list. With over 1,000 tracks some disappear after every randomize event, but when I got down to 144 tracks it took three randomize and track change events to get some tracks to disappear.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the number of tracks which disappear. I repeatedly tried this with all 12,898 tracks in my Music collection and a different number disappeared every time.

Using either the large Now Playing window from the media tree or the small Now Playing window that's always visible doesn't make a difference.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Ludek

Re: Randomize List tops out at 1574 songs [#14859]

Post by Ludek »

I am unable to replicate the issue.

Could you please go to [Options > Player > Auto-DJ / Now Playing] and check whether
'[ ] Enable Auto-DJ' is unchecked?
'Automatically retain [All] previous files in Now Playing' is selected?

I guess you might set the value from [All] to [100] and in that case if you double-click track #200 then 100 tracks is removed from NP list as expected, can you confirm?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:01 am 'Automatically retain [All] previous files in Now Playing' is selected?

I guess you might set the value from [All] to [100] and in that case if you double-click track #200 then 100 tracks is removed from NP list as expected, can you confirm?
That's it exactly. Mine was set to retain the last 100 so the removals were correct, and setting to to retain all stops the tracks from being removed.
Presumably the OP has the same setting.

Thanks Ludek.
cl1

Post by cl1 »

Sadly, I checked my settings as described above and I have the safe settings:
Enable Auto-DJ is unchecked.
Automatically retain "All" previous files in Now Playing.

I claim that this is still a bug. Thank you all for pursuing this.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Since changing the setting to retain all tracks I cannot reproduce the bug. I've also tried including duplicate tracks and inaccessible tracks in case there was some cleaning happening.

Try capturing a debug log as described in point 4 in this thread:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69

Maybe that will show the cause of tracks being removed.
cl1

Post by cl1 »

The sorta secret seems to be this exact sequence that was posted above:

Add a large number of tracks to Now Playing.
Randomize List
Double click any track in Now Playing to play that track, or just click Play MM isn't already playing.

I used this simple sequence today and do not lose tracks. I then figured out how to save the randomized result to a playlist with a dated name. All plays well.

My belief is that the sequence I learned from reading previous mediamonkey posts would lead to the problem. After all, I have not known how to do anything more than minimal in the first place, so following online advice was my best approach.

So I just now tried to duplicate that previous advice and see the problem, since I had clearly seen it twice before. I don't see it now.

I do believe there is that more difficult sequence that will still give the problem, if I could replicate it. That difficult sequence involves making a new playlist first, saving it, randomizing, hit play, etc. I suspect that, once I used the simple approach, above, that my fingers now skip some essential step that would cause tracks to be lost.

Thanks for the fresh advice.