Questions for french-speaking users

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

Octopod

Questions for french-speaking users

Post by Octopod »

Hi,

I'm working on MediaMonkey's french translation and i wonder how to translate certain words. :-?

I take advantage of this forum to launch a little "option poll" related to these translations.

Please feel free to propose other translations but remember the strings length should not be too long in relation to the english ones.

Suggestions (EN --> FR) :

preview : intro (?)
virtual CD : CD virtuel
playlist : liste de lecture
plugin : module
tray : (no idea!)
sleep : sommeil
track at once : piste a piste
disc at once : disque d'un (seul) block (?)
file monitor : surveillance (ou suivi ?) de fichiers (?)
library : bibliotheque
album artist : artiste de l'album (?)
bitrate : qualite (?)
tag : tag (!)
DSP : ??
skin : skin (!)
auto-playlist : liste-auto

Thanks in advance.

Octopod
zyb

Post by zyb »

Heya Octopod!

I'm not French, but German, so maybe my suggestions are crap. ;)

library: I translated that to German with "Archiv", maybe French "archives" would do better than bibliotheque?

tray: this is a technical term in MS Windows, if you know what it actually denotes (the field on the bottom-right in your Windows taskbar) you can refer to a Windows help for the translation.

track at once/disk at once: as mentioned elsewhere you could refer to a French version of Nero Burning Rom or any CD-Burning program to check the translation there. Look at the context the terms occur in in MM and compare. That's how I did it, anyway... ;)

bitrate: qualite wouldn't be right, I think, because the bitrate says not much about listening-experience which is the main factor in subjective quality, isn't it? I don't have an alternative, though, sorry...

Cheers, Zyb
Onyx

Post by Onyx »

Hi Octopod,

I'm French, so maybe i can be of some help.

library : for me, it would be "bibliothèque" as you chose first rather than "archives".

tray : one translation is "zone de notification", but i often see "System Tray" or "SysTray" in French softwares.

disc at once : (mode) disque entier

skin : the translation would be "habillage" but skin is also widely used

file monitor : "suivi des fichiers" rather than "surveillance de fichiers"

preview : "extrait", i think

Onyx
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Hi Onyx and thanks for your suggestions.

"Extrait" for "preview" is an excellent idea ! :P

"zone de notification" is actually the microsoft's official translation for "tray" : the problem is that only initiated people know it. Anyway, i decided to use it.

If you have ideas for the last ones that are annoying me (namely : plugin - bitrate - sleep & album artist), do not hesitate.

Octopod
Onyx

Post by Onyx »

Album artist : "artiste de l'album" is ok for me

sleep : "programmateur" perhaps

plugin and bitrate : you could use the same in French. As they come from computer science, i think they don't have any true translation.

If you still need suggestions, let me know :wink:

Onyx
Pablo

Same Problems in Spanish

Post by Pablo »

I'm doing the Spanish translation and ran across pretty much the same difficulties you did.

I'm using the original english words for skin, plug-in, bitrate, DSP. There may be Spanish/French words for these concepts but I doubt they'll be easier to understand than the originals.

Not that I know much French, but since we have almost exactly the same problems, we'll likely have similar solutions. In fact, I got a good idea here about Preview (to use Extracto, Spanish for Extrait).

You French-speaking can also contribute in the thread I've just started asking for help with the Spanish translation.

A Bientot,

Pablo
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Well, not a lot of suggestions in this thread!

Finally here is what you'll probably see in the french version of MM:

preview : extrait (thanks Onyx! :) )
virtual CD : CD virtuel
playlist : liste de lecture
tray : zone de notification
sleep : minuteur
track at once : piste a piste
disc at once : disque entier
file monitor : suivi de fichiers
album artist : artiste de l'album
auto-playlist : liste-auto
library : bibliotheque (still thinking about "mediatheque" or "audiotheque" ... :roll: )

bitrate, tag, DSP, skin, plugin: like in english

Octo
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well I don't speak french but here is a thought about the library:

The current MM supports both audio and video files so audiotheque would fall off in my opinion. That leaves mediatheque beside bibliotheque. The last one is more general and would allow for more different files to be included (who knows what the future brings).

So I would say if MM uses library, use bibliotheque. If MM uses medialibrary you could choose mediatheque.

I hope this helped in your decision making.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Think you're right, Lowlander!

Thanks for your intervention.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

While I agree with Lowlander ideas, I think that the association between "Library" and "books" is much looser than the association between "Biblioteca" and "libros" in Spanish (and probably the same happens in French). "Biblioteca" gives the idea of books to anybody but a computer programmer who's seen this term as a translation of "Library" in non-book contexts before. I therefore suggest "Medioteca" for the Spanish version. And if in the future this term becomes inappropriate, then we'll change the word again and that's it.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I also think that arg's idea (Catalogo) is worth considering. It's probably a closer translation of "Library" than Biblioteca in this case.

Regards,

Pablo
arg0

Catalogue and mediatheque (cross-language)

Post by arg0 »

Hi, Italian translator just jumping in.

Thanks for the discussion about library. I decided to use catalogo (catalogue) for Italian, but archivio (archive) is a great idea! Even better, because catalogue reminds of items you can buy (at least in Italian), whereas archive is more something you own.
I have prepared the first Italian translation with 'catalogue', but if nothing speaks agains 'archive', I will change, if there's still time before next build.

I personally don't like mediatheque, in Italian it sounds very artificial.

And BTW, I used 'anteprima' for preview, maybe french "apercu" could do?
What is the word used in Windows?

Regards,
Argo
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Chers francophones,

Pour traduire MM2.3, j'ai un problème avec "Album art"...

J'ai bien pensé à "Pochette" mais c'est assez réducteur vu que l'on peut insérer plein de photos de groupes, des logos, etc...

Donc si vous voulez m'aider...

Voici une (petite) liste d'idées:
- pochettes (bof donc)
- imagier (connotation enfantine)
- photos
- illustrations
Octopod
Lorenzaccio

Post by Lorenzaccio »

Artwork signifie illustration dans ce contexte donc pourquoi pas ?