amazon.co.jp

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

toomin86

amazon.co.jp

Post by toomin86 »

Is it normal for an auto-tag attempt from Amazon.co.jp to display most/all kanji as a question mark (?)? I have a decently sized Japanese music collection, but I can't auto-tag from amazon.co.jp since all japanese characters appear as question marks. I would assume that since amazon.co.jp is in Japanese and mediamonkey has it as an option to sync an auto-tag, MM would be able to understand the kanji. I know that MM can display the characters, since they appear in my playlist and library without problem. If my explanation was at all unclear, let me know and I can post a screenshot of the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
-Zack

I don't know if this belongs in the localization section or the help section, as it does deal with a language issue.
Peke

Post by Peke »

'?' Are possibly shown becouse of IE settings and LNG there but I can't Be 100% sure it worth to try.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
toomin86

Post by toomin86 »

It was certainly worth a shot, but no-go. I tried adding the Japanese language to my internet explorer, but I'm still seeing '?' for every Japanese character. Basically, when I enter some text like so:

It searches amazon.co.jp, then refreshes itself to a result like so:

It does find the album info, but displays and tags the results like so:

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing it or even encountered something similar/identical before? To clarify, my Windows environment is set to display Japanese characters and does so without difficulty.

Thank you,
-Zack
kan't help

Post by kan't help »

try going to windows update site and or windows download pages and look for an update to the japanese letters for your computer.

they might have even been messed up by adding in some other software.

if that happened that is an item well known as " bit rot " meaning the file has be over wrote one to many times and can not find what it needs.

so go back and reinstall the japanese language packs from ms if you find you have the bit rot stuff?

that is all i can tell you good luck.

keep happy :lol: 8)
Peke

Post by Peke »

One thing Non-Unicode programs in Windows settings use Which LNG?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
toomin86

Post by toomin86 »

I just tried updating and reinstalling (tried both) the Japanese language pack for Windows XP, still no luck. Good suggestion though. If it helps at all, my default browser is Mozilla Firefox (though I did try switching it to IE to see if there was any change--there wasn't).

-Zack
NinjaMeh

Post by NinjaMeh »

I'd like to second this complaint. MM can't seem to search Amazon.co.jp using Japanese text entered using IME or even copied and pasted from Firefox into the search box! I also noticed that I could not change the encoding for the integrated browser window when I tried to correct the display of kanji on Amazon.co.jp. Another nice plus would be the ability to convert Shift-JIS encoded ID3v2 tags to Unicode. At the moment they seem to just be brought in as the garbage they look like when a program is expecting ASCII or Latin text. I'll admit I didn't try with Japanese as my default language, only with and without using AppLocale to try to set the default encoding for MediaMonkey to Japanese. IIRC it did help with some songs, but not all.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Ok, I can confirm that this is really a bug. It will be corrected in the next release. I suppose the correct screenshot should look like this:

Thanks,
Jiri
toomin86

Post by toomin86 »

Yeah that is the specific track information for Analog Fish's KISS album, exactly as it should look. The update will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

-Zack

Post by Guest »

Jiri, what type of OS were you using? Japanese Windows, or Japanese IME on a multilanguage Windows?
jiri

Post by jiri »

I have a pretty ordinary installation of English Windows.

Jiri
fuzzynavel

Fixed?

Post by fuzzynavel »

Did this ever get fixed? The results that Jiri showed are exactly what I expect but I still only get blank results when looking up on Amazon.jp.