Leave the icon alone!

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

Leave the icon alone?

YES
37%
NO
63%

Total votes: 111

Dreadlau

Re: Leave the icon alone!

Post by Dreadlau »

Yeah man. I don't understand why you want it to change so bad cause it's probably not that hard to customize.

If u use a dock it's two click away to change the icon assigned to the shortcut. Same for changing the shortcut icon on your desk, launch bar or whatever.
For the System tray, there's a utility you can find on the web to easily customize it as well. (if i recall the name I'll post it later)
For the taskbar i think you just have to change the .ico file in the mediamonkey folder.
For the favicon in firefox there's also an extension to easily custom it.

So why not try these solutions first.

And if you create a cool icon for mm3, you could post it in the forum. Cause you're surely not the only one who's not to fond of the actual one.

Want to try?

Dread
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Giarc

Post by Giarc »

rovingcowboy wrote:the barrel of monkeys icon is what they wanted to look like
I haven't seen any official statement from the developers saying that they specifically wanted a "barrel of monkeys" style icon. Have you? I believe that the icon was done by CleverStarfish, and it was probably chosen due to a lack of anything better.
Dreadlau wrote:Yeah man. I don't understand why you want it to change so bad cause it's probably not that hard to customize.
I don't think it's that easy. There is no .ico file in the MediaMonkey folder. I would have to hack the .exe file to change the icon on the taskbar and the program titlebar. Perhaps when they get things working so you can modify icons by putting new ones into a Skins\Icons folder, they could make it so we can change this one as well. That would be nice.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I don't think it's that easy. There is no .ico file in the MediaMonkey folder. I would have to hack the .exe file to change the icon on the taskbar and the program titlebar

Ah, sorry. I wasn't sure for the .ico file. I don't have knowledge in hacking files so I can't help you for that.
Perhaps when they get things working so you can modify icons by putting new ones into a Skins\Icons folder, they could make it so we can change this one as well. That would be nice.
That's a good idea. It would bring another level of customization in mm. +1
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yes i seen an statement from the developers on the matter and some emails from them too.
they want this look for the icon, and had it made or made it them selfs.

as i said earlier its easy to change the short cut icons only one is the tray that will be hard with out any other program to do it for you.

they might allow us to change it to our wants. but face it they have to keep their main program id, as they want it. if they let everyone change it to what ever then they lose control over it. not the best thing for any company to do. i think they've done enough in the way of allowing us to customize the program, so in keeping this icon the way it is, does not bother me as it is what they want, also it is kind of hard to get good looking icons in the small size that goes in to the tray so this two tone one is a good shape and look for that icon. they did ask for ideas and several of us sent them in to them. this is what they liked, so this is the flag mediamonkey users must rally around. we can change the skin of the programs and i have done that now with 15 skin sets others are making more.

but its a dead horse as far as mm 3 is concerned, maybe a new one for mm 4 or mm 5 in a couple years.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Giarc

Post by Giarc »

For anyone who doesn't like the new icon, here is one I made that can be used for your shortcuts. This is what it looks like compared to the current icon.

I personally prefer a simpler, cleaner look. Of course, you can only change your shortcuts or desktop icon, the taskbar and system tray icons will still be the standard one. Both 16x16 and 32x32 sizes are included.

Download the icon here: http://www.imptec.com/MM_16_32.ico
dnathand

Post by dnathand »

Not to stir up a way old thread but...I just couldn't leave the icon alone. Too plain in my book. I just think this awesome program is deserving of an icon that is just as great. I hope this one lives up! :-? ...Check it out at deviant art.
http://dnathand.deviantart.com/art/Medi ... -109958104

Download it Here in PNG and ICO format in all it's 256x256 Vista Pixel Glory!
http://www.deviantart.com/download/1099 ... athand.rar
Last edited by dnathand on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

You didn't really need to go digging this thread up when you've already created a new thread to show off your icon.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Mizery_Made wrote:You didn't really need to go digging this thread up when you've already created a new thread to show off your icon.
I don't see the problem.

Poeple reading this thread might be interested by his work.
Giarc

Post by Giarc »

Not to stir up a way old thread but...I just couldn't leave it alone. I just think this awesome program is deserving of an icon that is just as great.
It looks nice, but I don't know where a 256x256 icon would be used. I don't have any problem with the current large icons anyway, it's the small 16x16 icon that I have a problem with. The small icon is everywhere, on the title bar, the task bar, and the system tray, and it's just too small to have a monkey on it.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Giarc wrote:It looks nice, but I don't know where a 256x256 icon would be used. I don't have any problem with the current large icons anyway, it's the small 16x16 icon that I have a problem with. The small icon is everywhere, on the title bar, the task bar, and the system tray, and it's just too small to have a monkey on it.
I agree with you.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 49#p185611
dnathand

Post by dnathand »

Mizery_Made wrote:You didn't really need to go digging this thread up when you've already created a new thread to show off your icon.
Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one....some are just stinkier than others and need a bath. I thought it applied to the title and this is an ongoing thread...(has been opened several other times after no posts for long periods). Man I think you should make it your personal mission to go back and check 'em all by date...You need to get those 737 posts up man...you're slacking off....LOL...Get a life dude! Oh...and it's sharing not showing off....If i was showing it off it would be a nice picture with a water mark and no link to download. Man...some people.
dnathand

Post by dnathand »

Dreadlau wrote:
Giarc wrote:It looks nice, but I don't know where a 256x256 icon would be used. I don't have any problem with the current large icons anyway, it's the small 16x16 icon that I have a problem with. The small icon is everywhere, on the title bar, the task bar, and the system tray, and it's just too small to have a monkey on it.
I agree with you.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 49#p185611
Well...when you're a techy nerd like me a 16x16 icon just won't do. See my desktop below to see why. In Windows Vista the icons have to be scalable to 256x256 because you can change the size of them. If you don't the icons won't scale and simply remain the same size with an expanding white border around them that looks ugly as sin. If i tried to blow a Windows XP icon up it would be too blurry and would be an eyesore to my pretty desktops. I don't change the default icon in the taskbar...the default one is just fine and clearly visible. Heck, even on my 14" Laptop I don't have a problem with it and can clearly make out the monkey.

If you want to see the whole thing go here. http://dnathand.deviantart.com/art/My-L ... -110064797
Giarc

Post by Giarc »

dnathand wrote:Well...when you're a techy nerd like me a 16x16 icon just won't do. See my desktop below to see why. In Windows Vista the icons have to be scalable...
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I still use XP and hadn't seen that before (even though I have played with Vista some).

Perhaps another version with the standard orange disc behind the monkey instead of a red one? Some people may prefer that. Just a suggestion
dnathand

Post by dnathand »

Giarc wrote:Perhaps another version with the standard orange disc behind the monkey instead of a red one? Some people may prefer that. Just a suggestion

Ask and you shall receive!

And the link to download it in rar format. http://www.deviantart.com/download/1100 ... athand.rar
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Cool you've put the monkey in a Pokeball! Rofl :lol: