Info about Glided - Discussion

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

MyCsPiTTa

Re: Info about Glided - Discussion

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

Lowlander, is that a question or an answer? Either way, it's no default anymore, and I would still have expected the author (Morten?) to have put a copy on a website somewhere. Tried Googling - zero luck. It's like it never existed.

Does anyone have a copy of the file? Or is there a way to uncompile it from the pre-v4 .exe of MM? (probably a bit beyond me unless there is an app for it.)
farrbot

Post by farrbot »

I had to do a complete reinstall of windows after the 8.1 upgrade borked my machine. Surprised to find the the Glided skin had been dropped on reinstalling a fresh copy of MM. No download location anywhere to be found on this site. Tried a few of the other skins on offer, call me conservative but...meh, was quite happy with Glided. Many of the newer themes seem to be designed with no concept of legibility or function particulary the light text on dark backgrounds. Have used my gold licenced version of MM for many years, cant understand why Glided would be dropped from the install or at least made available as an option in addons.

The last version to have Glided included is 4.0.7. I downloaded and installed this version then reinstalled the current version 4.1.1.1703, all fixed now, I'm happy.

4.0.7 is at http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0

Post by Guest »

I see now there is bug posted about glided http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11671 relating to problems with jpg artifacts with some of the default icons in newer versions of MM. This is apparently why it has been pulled. The effect is only minor in my view. Its still a much more polished skin than most of the others.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

farrbot wrote:I had to do a complete reinstall of windows after the 8.1 upgrade borked my machine. Surprised to find the the Glided skin had been dropped on reinstalling a fresh copy of MM. No download location anywhere to be found on this site. Tried a few of the other skins on offer, call me conservative but...meh, was quite happy with Glided. Many of the newer themes seem to be designed with no concept of legibility or function particulary the light text on dark backgrounds.
COMPLETELY agree! What's with all the dark backgrounds and fluoro highlights? Another thing I've found from the 20+ skins I've tried are they are almost invariably use monochrome icons (i.e. in the tree, toolbars and menus) - my current "favourite" Songbird included. What happened to some colour???
And some are just a mess.

I also mostly liked Gilded as it has a nice large player bar with all the song info, and shuffle etc, options right there. And it had a nice long play-seek bar - can't stand all the stubby little seek bars on many of the new skins.

No offense to the current hard working skin authors, but Gilded is the only that came close to having everything I wanted.

And it's actually an embarrassment that MM, one of the top players in media software, can't do better than the default Metro skin. How can they expect to entice people away from iTunes with a skin that looks like it was made in 1995?
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

farrbot wrote: The last version to have Glided included is 4.0.7. I downloaded and installed this version then reinstalled the current version 4.1.1.1703, all fixed now, I'm happy.

4.0.7 is at http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0
Even better: I installed as a portable version to my flashdrive, then copied Glided.msz over to my current MM skin folder - BOOM! Very happy now :D
jhumery

Post by jhumery »

Really strange that the Glided theme is nowhere to be found?!! That has been (and still is) my favorite theme for years. I love cool, new designs, but this current "Metro" style trend just makes me cringe.....what a huge step backwards graphically & functionally speaking. Not surprising though, since it all stems from the grossly dysfunctional and graphically infantile Windows 8 OS. I'm actually contemplating making my own slightly more modern version of the Glided theme, but we'll see how much time I have to learn the process.

BTW, I still have the Glided.msz file on my system if that helps anybody.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

I also was surprised to find that Glided disappeared when I installed 4.1.1 on a new PC. Note to Ventis: It is not acceptable to remove this long-time default skin. It shows a remarkable disregard for your users. Please put it back. If there is a problem with the skin, fix it. In the meantime, I'd rather live with a minor bug in the skin than have the skin summarily deleted by a routine update. Fortunately, I still had access to the skin on another PC.

And I agree with some of the earlier posts. Glided is the most legible and easiest-to-work-with skin of all that I know of. It may not be pretty and it may look dated and it may have a dopey name, but IMO it is the most functional. For some of us, functionality is a lot more important than glitz a/k/a eye candy.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

JoePublic wrote: It may not be pretty and it may look dated and it may have a dopey name, but IMO it is the most functional. For some of us, functionality is a lot more important than glitz a/k/a eye candy.
Ironically, I'd consider Glided much prettier and FAR less dated than the default skins now shipping with MM, or the wave of neon-on-back monsters available from the skin library.

I agree this should remain in the default list, but in the meantime, it works pretty well to install an older version of MM (e.g. 4.0) on a USB thumbdrive as a Portable Installation, then hunt around in its Skins folder to get the Glided file you need.
MrBill3

Post by MrBill3 »

jhumery wrote:Really strange that the Glided theme is nowhere to be found?!!
I'm running MM version 4.1.5.1719 (the current version today) and have a copy of Glided.msz that is working fine with MM. Of course I only use MM for listening to MP3 music, so your mileage may vary. Click the following link is you'd like a copy of this skin:

http://aa4m.com/Glided.msz
Peke

Post by Peke »

I'm happy to announce that Glided Skin is officially on Addons Site as of now.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... ided-skin/
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

LIKE! :D
MrBill3

Post by MrBill3 »

Peke wrote:I'm happy to announce that Glided Skin is officially on Addons Site as of now.
Nice . . . thanks!! :D
jhumery

Post by jhumery »

Thank you so much. Nice to see the old girl back in the ranks. :D
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."