Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

baker

Post by baker »

Trix, where is the logfile? I've searched everywhere and can't find it. Is there something else that needs to be done to generate one besides turning it on in options? The prob is that some artists like Sammy Davis Jr. are not returning anything and I was wondering what was going on.

Btw, it's no longer hanging MM waiting for a response. Dunno why.

Also, it would be helpful there was an option to tag the track "not found" for when it can't find anything.
baker

Post by baker »

I think I figured out why it's not finding some artists like Sammy. Apparently it doesn't like non-alphanumeric characters. When I removed the . at the end of Jr. it worked. Although lastfm has him listed with both spellings, the script can't handle the first one. I also had the same prob with Earth, Wind and Fire. It worked when I removed the ,. Unfortunately, not all artists have an alternate non-punctuated spelling on lastfm (like Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) so these are impossible to tag with this script.
baker

Post by baker »

Correction: Lastfm will redirect some artist names without punctuation to the punctuated entry. For example, The OJays will redirect to The O'Jays page although there is no alternate page on lastfm as lastfm apparently treats them the same. It doesn't do it for everything however as "Sammy Davis Jr" does not redirect to "Sammy Davis Jr." page.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The logfile is created in the your windows temporary directory. If you're not sure where this is, enter %TEMP% in the run command to open it. I've moved it here (and will with all my scripts at some point) so that I'm not cluttering the scripts folder as I was previously.

I'm always trying to improve the results, but it's hard to cope with all possibilities. I'll certainly look into this example and see what I can do to hopefully improve it and similar situations in a future release. Thanks for reporting back! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
baker

Post by baker »

Is it possible to easily add a suffix or a prefix to the new genre? For example, I would like to know what tags are from the script so can I just add"-gf" to all the returns somewhere inside the script? I looked but couldn't figure it out. =/
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No this isn't currently possible, without modifying the script itself.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Big_Berny wrote:Yes, I'd like if the songs of which the artist has not been found in last.fm get added to a playlist called 'No genre found' for example. Or do you have a better idea how we can find them quickly to set the genre by hand?
What about multiple fields though? Would you want a track moved to this playlist if any of the fields were unknown, or if all of them were unknown?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I've got it copying any track with some unknown fields into the specified playlist. Only works for track mode though, not artist or album, is that ok?

@baker - I've fixed your issues with Sammy, there was an encoding issue which I've fixed. Spent ages trying to replicate the problem before realising that I'd already fixed it a few days ago!! :)
baker

Post by baker »

Ah sweet. When will next version be available?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Very shortly. It's just going through some final testing whilst I wait for my host to fix my website!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.5) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed url encoding of some characters
- Fixed blank match value invalidated results
- Disabled artist and album mode in MM3 to make compatible
- Added option to define exceptions in auto whitelist (eg. *+Rock-Alt)
- Added option to add tracks with unknown values to specified playlist
- Added option to add multiple values

Please can people let me know if they have any problems in MM3. Hopefully the other modes (artist and album) will be added to a future version, once the scripting methods are updated to work with multiple artists.
chepre

length of whitelist

Post by chepre »

hi,

special thanks for creating such a nice script trixmoto.

it's very usefull but i've problems creating a whitelist.

my list is much too long i think because MM always crashes.
i found a list on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_genres and deleted useless genres. but i still have about 400 genres.

there are a lot of different jazz-styles, techno-styles, hip-hop-styles,......

mediamonkey accepts not more than about 150 genres.
after saving the list and restarting, mm crashes immediately.

sorry, my english isn't very well.

chepre
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, this script can't cope with a list that long, because of the datatypes available.

One way that you could do this is manually edit the Genres table in the database so that it contains a row for each of the ones in your list, and then use a whitelist of "*".
chepre

Post by chepre »

ok, i'll try to shorten my list.

or is it possible to use wildcards?
like accept every genre like Acid*, Folk*, Gothic*
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That is not currently possible, but I might try to add it to the next version. :)