Script request: "Mainstreamness" of track

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

istanbul

Script request: "Mainstreamness" of track

Post by istanbul »

Would it be possible to develop a script that could get the play count of a song from last.fm and save it to e.g. one of the custom fields in Mediamonkey? This would be a great feature in creating playlists for different occasions and audiences - e.g. at a party you'd generally play well-known, mainstream music, while you'd seek out your most obscure tracks when wanting to impress someone with your "indieness" ;)
powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman »

Sounds like a really good idea. Isecond that request.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) - MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm
if you really like my music...

Post by Guest »

Yep, very interesting request. I think it should be easy to implement, starting with an existing last.fm parser. BTW are there any "templates" for web parsing scripts?
neFAST

Post by neFAST »

No success ?
Chooch

Post by Chooch »

I too think this would be a valuable script. In fact I came on the forums today to specifically look for something that did this.

I spent hours last night going through my 1300 albums on Last.fm, trying to add the top played 1-2 tracks from each to a playlist, for a party. I barely made a dent in my library because it is so time consuming to do manually.

Does anyone know if this Script can be done? Could you "refresh" the playlist to reflect new additions to your library, or changes to the "top played" songs on Last.fm?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It's certainly possible via scripting. The code could be lifted from my "GenreFinder" or "SimilarArtists" or "MonkeyRok" scripts. If I get time I might take a look at this, but I'm very busy at the moment so it might take me a while to get round to it. Sorry! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Chooch

Post by Chooch »

It's cool. Take your time. I'm just happy that it can be done.

I wish there was something I could do to help, but as far as scripting goes, I am useless.

Thanks
istanbul

Post by istanbul »

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to this script. As the previous poster, I'm sorry that I can't be of any help - the efforts of those who do know how to script are greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Anyone care to pick up on this idea?
fuzzynavel

Post by fuzzynavel »

This sounds good - It would be cool to sort by "mainstreamness", for example during a party where people would want to hear familiar music. I'm looking forward to something like this in the future!

Post by Guest »

Great idea! I would love to have this on MM3.

But for me I would love to see trixmoto implement the tag by album and artist option in Genrefinder_MM3 firstly :D. I do not want to be annoying, but I am waiting for this, more the the mainstreamness thing.

TheTudz...
GuHu

Post by GuHu »

..hmm

I had a look at the description of the XML-Interface of last.fm
http://www.audioscrobbler.net/data/webservices/

I didn't find the total count of a track. I found only the counting of a track from a specific album. Thus it may be not so easy to implement the feature....

GuHu
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't see why this would be a problem. Personally I'd like to know if the same track is generally played more on one album or another if I've got them both.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Thinking that with combination of Last.fm Node Script could shorten dev. status and add this feature more easily.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts