Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kdeemer wrote:I'm using MM 3.0 and just installed the onkel_enno script. I created two new mdb files and I can see that the SelectLibrary routine causes a change to the DBNAME variable within MediaMonkey.ini. However, it has absolutely NO EFFECT on MediaMonkey. No matter which mdb file I select, the results are identical. If I clear out all of the library of one, they are all cleared out. If I add tracks to one, they are added to all of them. Even if I change all mdb extensions to tmp, SelectLibrary will choke, but MM will load and run just fine. It is obviously pointing to an entirely different database, but I have no idea where. It isn't pointing to the one in the mediamonkey.ini file. I've searched my entire system for other mdb files and there aren't any.

Note MM is installed in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey
There is a MediaMonkey.ini file in this directory with two lines only:
[out_ds]
cfg_total_time=18912

My database files are in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey.
There is also a MediaMonkey.ini file in this directory, that has all of the program parameters and receives the updated DBNAME location.

Even though I have been creating and renaming the mdb files in this directory, none shows a modification date of today. They all show a date about 2 weeks ago.

There is another MediaMonkey.mdb file in the directory with the program files, but it shows a modification date of 12/21/05. It has also been renamed to an extension of tmp

Can anyone tell me what might be happening??
MM3 uses Mediamonkey.DB as its database. I've linked to the default filepaths in my sig.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kdeemer

Post by kdeemer »

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply. I take it, then, that this script doesn't work with MM 3, right?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kdeemer wrote:Got it. Thanks for the quick reply. I take it, then, that this script doesn't work with MM 3, right?
Honestly, I have no idea. I've never tried it.

chepre

Post by chepre »

My solution works, try it:

Open "MediaMonkey.ini"
Mediamonkey.DB and Mediamonkey.ini default file locations:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
Windows Vista: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Mediamonkey
Add the following line to the [System] section:

Code: Select all

DBNAME=C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
Create file named "switch.bat" with following content:

Code: Select all

@ECHO off
SETLOCAL enabledelayedexpansion

:start
cls
echo.
echo Choose DB:
echo.
echo 1 = Original DB
echo 2 = New DB
echo. 
echo.
set /p userinp=choose a number(1-2):
echo.
if "%userinp%"=="1" goto original
if "%userinp%"=="2" goto new
goto start

:original
xcopy "MediaMonkey.ini" "MediaMonkey.bak" /Y

SET "source=MediaMonkey.bak"
SET "target=MediaMonkey.ini"
SET "search=NEW.DB"
SET "replacement=MM.DB"

IF EXIST %target% (DEL /f %target% 1>NUL 2>NUL)

FOR /f "delims=" %%i IN ('FINDSTR . "%source%"') DO (
SET row=%%i& CALL :replace !row!
)

:replace
SET row=!row:%search%=%replacement%!

IF [!row!] EQU [] (ECHO.>>%target%) ELSE (ECHO !row!>>%target%)
GOTO :eof

:new
xcopy "MediaMonkey.ini" "MediaMonkey.bak" /Y

SET "source=MediaMonkey.bak"
SET "target=MediaMonkey.ini"
SET "search=MM.DB"
SET "replacement=NEW.DB"

IF EXIST %target% (DEL /f %target% 1>NUL 2>NUL)

FOR /f "delims=" %%i IN ('FINDSTR . "%source%"') DO (
SET row=%%i& CALL :replace !row!
)

:replace
SET row=!row:%search%=%replacement%!

IF [!row!] EQU [] (ECHO.>>%target%) ELSE (ECHO !row!>>%target%)
GOTO :eof

:eof
exit
close mediamonkey, run switch.bat, start mediamonkey

chepre
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I've updated the current Version of "Select Library" to work with MM2 and MM3.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4699#34699

Try it and let me know if it works for you!
chepre

Post by chepre »

i tried yesterday... no effect.

so i had to write my own batch.
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

If I had uploaded it yesterday i would have posted yesterday ;)
chepre

Post by chepre »

sorry, my fault. :oops:

i've downloaded it from <old link> now.

1.:
your program shows a db in %installpath%\MediaMonkey.mdb

(e.g. %installpath% = c:\Programs\Media Monkey)

i use the last MM3 Beta & win xp and the db should be found in C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB

it should be possible to remove your first entry

2.:
as seen above the db is named *.db
your program is not able to choose this filetype.
i have to insert "*.*" in filename to show all files in the folder and to be able to select de *.db-files

3.:
your program still has no effect.
imho mediamonkey ignores mediamonkey.ini in %installpath%.

as you see in my batch i store the db-settings in C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\mediamonkey.ini

[EDIT]
wait, i'll try the first link on page..

just give me a moment

[EDIT2]

ok, i've tested the "MultipleLibraries.zip" (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34699)

everything works fine :D
(i'll use it now because i don't like batch-files... i prefer GUIs)
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

chepre wrote: everything works fine :D
(i'll use it now because i don't like batch-files... i prefer GUIs)
Fine :lol:
Me too, but your Batch-File is very interesting for me - you never learn out :wink:
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

nohitter151 wrote:
seeker wrote:Serious question - why is everyone SO ENAMORED with filters that they are AGAINST multiple libraries (and the ease that people can understand the separation)?

I have no problem with filters - yay filters!

But the tone here is "we have filters - we don't need no stinkin' multiple libraries"

My vote is in again - multiple libraries PLEASE - for all the reasons mentioned and more.
Then allow me to ask a Serious question - why are people unwilling to accept workarounds and scripts, instead expecting everything to immediately be available as native program functionality. The devs have a lot to worry about already and it takes time to implement new features.

Did you miss the script/workaround listed in this very thread?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=30

Certainly you may ask, but I notice you didn't bother to answer my question at all. I won't do the same to you.

First - 'expecting everything to immediately be available' - I think the first post in this thread was in 2005.

I note you even SAY 'workaround' - a workaround, by definition is a way to get a piece of what you want, but not what is needed. You answered that part yourself by using the word.

Scripts/workarounds - why? When simply 'multiple libraries' fixes/helps so much? It's like saying that Microsoft Word should only support one document file - but don't worry - we can use filters/scripts/workaroundds so you can access what you want in that 50,000 page document.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

@Seeker: I apologize for my last posts tone. I agree with you 100%, I think Multiple databases/libraries would be a great feature. Still, I hate to see when the hard work done by other users on their own time is ignored, and people clamor for new features because they are afraid of using a script or trying something different. Not to say that this was the case this time - its just a general theme I've seen on the forum a great many times.

That being said, I hope you can accept my apology as I was posting in haste. We both want whats best for the Monkey, after all :)

Seeker

Post by Seeker »

No problem. I agree - we both want the best music manager possible.

It's just obvious that I think multiple libraries (AND filters/etc.etc) would truly make this a better tool for many people.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Ok, as much as I still really want multiple libraries, I'm doing my best with filters - any issues I have with filters vs. multiple libraries, I'll ask here.

1) I created a filter based on folders (i.e. that's how I'd separate most libraries anyway.)

It seems to work, but when I go to "unknown" in any area, the unknown from the entire library shows up vs. just the filtered area. For example, if an album name isn't in the tag, it shows up (in unknown) regardless of the filter. [No, these items don't appear where they have valid tags, but the unknown area is really populated.]

True? If so, this is a problem for me - I have a set of music that is mostly garbage when it comes to tags, and with many tags missing.

If false, tell me how to make it work correctly - thanks.

[Added note - it seems to be only for albums - missing tags don't show up in unknown in genre, at least.]

Added Note 2 - the more I look, the more I think this is a bug in the program. It only happens to me in "Album - Unknown". Any thoughts?

Note 3: As I look further, it appears that under "Files to Edit", the filter often does not work.

Also, filters using the "Any" feature seem to work some of the time, then I'll open a folder and nothing is filtered. Then it seems to randomly begin working again.

If this is what is supposed to be 'as good as multiple libraries', then either I am just clueless on how to get this to work right, or it's NOT as good.
alanl

Post by alanl »

onkel_enno wrote:I've updated the current Version of "Select Library" to work with MM2 and MM3.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4699#34699

Try it and let me know if it works for you!
Thanks, onkel_enno, it seems to work fine for me in MM3. I used to use this in MM2 and now with MM3 functionality I have (almost) everything in MM3 that I could wish for in a media player :-?

And thanks for all your other posts/scripts/advice.

Alan
Kos

Post by Kos »

Thanks onkel_enno - it works perfectly for me. I have a NAS in my appartment and another NAS in my summer home. I use the same laptop both places and the enno solution works perfectly when I switch location (NAS path).

THANKS!

Kos
Setup: Sonos, Twonky, Qnap, MediaMonkey Lifetime