Support for multiple artists/album artists

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Alexander

Post by Alexander » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am

That is a feature I would like to see, too.

I'm disappointed with WMP11, but I do want to administer my music library up-to-date using the WMP10 possibilities like Album Artist, and multiple artists. (Because I run Media Center environment and have to keep the tags up-to-date for it.)

WMP saves multiple artists with the / character. The one and only drawback is that I now have to name the band AC-DC instead of AC/DC.

I do recommend naming the album artist "various" on compilation CDs.

Additional:
Since the ID3 specification seems to have changed, here's an idea:
You could program it so that the separator-character could be set be the user inidivually...?

WPtest

Post by WPtest » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Mizery_Made wrote:Anyway, I think I got the jist that this refers to a similar feature to that of Windows Media Player (only other Media Player I'm really familiar with) in which an artist listed as "Artist 1; Artist 2; Artist 3" shows up in Artists nodes for all three, and not a new with that exact text? If so, by god, this is extremely needed. Namely for the Artist & Composer nodes. Tis the only thing I miss badly about moving from WMP.
Yes, exactly. Desperately needed. It's a flaw in a lot of software players.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:08 pm

As said before, multi-artist will be supported in MediaMonkey.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

WPtest

Post by WPtest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Any update on this? Is that release with multi-artist support available yet?

Bex

Post by Bex » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Yes, it's alive and kicking in MM3! (In RC-stage.) You can dl and test it in the beta forum.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

WPtest

Post by WPtest » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Bex wrote:Yes, it's alive and kicking in MM3! (In RC-stage.) You can dl and test it in the beta forum.
Thanks. Downloading now. The FAQ says to not use it if you have not backed up your music files. Is this still true of the release candidate? That should be a lot safer for the MP3s, right?

Bex

Post by Bex » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 am

I used to to use MM3 on a copy of a subset of my tracks just to test all new functionality but now I have all of my tracks in MM3.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.

All My Scripts

WPtest

Post by WPtest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:16 am

Congratulations on V3.

Is there a tutorial somewhere about adding multiple artists per song?

I don't see how to add more artists in the Mediamonkey UI. Do we just add more names to the Artist field separated with a comma, like in WMP?

Peke

Post by Peke » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:14 am

hold CTRL when you D&D Tracks to Add additional Artist.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

bgibbard

Post by bgibbard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 pm

WPtest wrote:I don't see how to add more artists in the Mediamonkey UI. Do we just add more names to the Artist field separated with a comma, like in WMP?
Use a semi-colon followed by a space between the names.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:40 am

Is semi-colon rule true for Album Artists also?
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

Bex

Post by Bex » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Yes. it's true for any multiple field.

All My Scripts

bgibbard

Post by bgibbard » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:33 pm

Genres, composers, and conductors are some of the others not specifically named yet that I use very frequently myself, and I believe there are others. I seem to recall it should work with tempo, mood and occasion, but haven't tried those myself.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 am

> Yes. it's true for any multiple field.

Multiple fields being defined by the docs as:

Artist, Album Artist, Composer, Conductor, Genre, and Classifications
Chris

chrisjj

Re: ID3V2 spec DOES allow for multiple strings in text field

Post by chrisjj » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 am

> ID3V2.3 says mulitple strings in text fields are to be separated by "/".

Note: it says "/" is a multiple value separator in some specific text fields, but not text fields in general. And it says in some other specific fields, "/" has a different special meaning e.g. separating track number from track quantity.

> If multiple values are implemented, please implement them based on the standard.

Absolutely!!
Chris