1175: Lyrics syncing with iPod 30GB

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

gege

Post by gege »

_dodger_ wrote:In my library all album art is stored in the tags.
And the options are the same as gege's. I have uploaded a screenshot but I believe the options are all default values.
Yep. Exactly the same settings...
jiri wrote:Also no auto-conversion? Or anything else non-standard? Otherwise MM just makes a plain copy of the track on PC to iPod and there can't be any diff in tags...
All my songs are plain MP3, with bitrate varying from 128 to 192kbps, using CBR encoding.
And no, no auto-conversion or anything else non-standard, AFAIK.
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

Auto-Conversion
Auto-Sync options
Auto-Sync List

All my songs are MP3 with bitrates all over the place ;-) CBR and VBR, ID3v1, ID3v2 (versions from 2.1 to 2.4)

edit:

I will uninstall MediaMonkey, delete my database and do a fresh install of everything, restore my iPod to the factory defaults and then do a sync with just one file and the previously described scenario (1st sync, update tag, 2nd sync) and see what happens. For all that's worth I'll also uninstall iTunes.
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

I tried the reinstall and the problem persists. Every single setting is in its default state and the lyrics are still deleted.

So....something happens on the way from my harddrive to the iPod and I'm almost certain that MediaMonkey has something to do with it ;-)
jiri

Post by jiri »

I found out what's wrong, it should be fixed in the next release.

Thanks,
Jiri
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

*cheer*

Thank you very much! Could you enlighten us as to what the problem was? :)
gege

Post by gege »

That's great news! Thanks. :D
_dodger_ wrote:Could you enlighten us as to what the problem was? :)
Please... 8)
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

I just tried build 1777 and unfortunately.....the problem is still there. Lyrics lost after an update.

But I'll once again try a clean install later today or tomorrow.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Ooops, one more problem found. It should finally be fixed in the next release.

Jiri
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

I'm looking forward to it :)

Thanks again.
shigekuni

Post by shigekuni »

1) Restore iPod
how do you do that with mediamonkey?
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

As far as I know, you can't. I used iTunes for that.
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

I have tested 1179:

- I had to manually delete/resync all affected files but that's not a big problem

- After that everything seems to work fine even after multiple changes to tags and resyncs

Thank you for fixing this!
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

Okay I'm sorry but it doesn't seem to be fixed. Quite the opposite: Album art doesn't work anymore. Just as a heads up.
I'll try restoring my iPod to factory settings and do a fresh sync and see what happens

Edit: I did restore and resync and my album art is now back so assume this was a one time thing. But the problem with the missing lyrics persists. Basically nothing has changed for me since I reported this. None of your fixes has worked so far :(

I'll once again check the files on my iPod now. But I'd be very interested in what gege has to say about the latest build?

Edit 2: The files on my iPod now have the correct UNSYNCEDLYRICS field, even after a resync but the lyrics "page" on my iPod still only shows the title for previously working mp3s.
As the MP3s seem to be correct now this could be a bug in the iPod software. On the other hand: This does work using iTunes so it could be MediaMonkey.

Is there anything I can do to help investigating this? I am at a loss at the moment.
rusty

Lyrics on iPod

Post by rusty »

I've tested this on a G2 Nano, G3 Nano, and iPhone. In all cases lyrics appear BUT on the G2 Nano, very often only the Title will appear initially and I have to trigger a refresh on the iPod (by flipping from Lyrics to Album Art and back) to get the full lyrics to appear.

I think it's an iPod issue that only affects some iPods/firmware.

-Rusty
_dodger_

Post by _dodger_ »

Thanks for the reply. I tried as you suggested but it didn't help.

I did another set of tests:

1) Sync a new track
2) Change the track locally
3) Resync

Now what I did after each sync:

* Took the MP3 file from my harddrive (source)
* Took the MP3 file from the iPod (dest)
* Took the iTunesDB from the iPod

I used a tool to do a binary compare of the files.
After 1):
source <-> dest => identical

After 2)
source <-> dest => not identical
1source <-> 2source => identical
1itunesDB <-> 2iTunesDB => not identical

As there are only a few bytes changed in the iTunesDB I expect it to be a timestamp or something like that.

What I don't understand is why after 2) the source and dest files are not identical as they are after 1) and even the source files are identical. I checked a little bit further and there seem to be a few ID3v2 frames in a different order.

In the working copy there is the USLT frame and later in the file the PIC frame (after 1) ) but in the not working file the PIC frame comes first. Jiri said that MediaMonkey only does a plain copy of the file but that does not seem to be the case.

It IS the case when the MP3 is first copied onto the iPod but not on later syncs where the target file already exists on the iPod.

That's what I'm able to find out so far but I have no idea if it is of any help. I can only say that this never happens when I use iTunes to sync the files so I still believe it is a bug in MediaMonkey...