Synchronizing two iPod Shuffles

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

skst

Synchronizing two iPod Shuffles

Post by skst »

I have two iPod Shuffles--1Gen and 2Gen--and my son has a 2Gen Shuffle. Unfortunately, MM thinks they're the same, so I can't configure their sync options separately and auto-sync them.

MM distinguishes my 40G and 60G Nomads, but not the two Shuffles.

Is there any way for MM to handle multiple, identical iPods?

I saw a reply to an earlier post that suggests multiple Windows accounts, but I don't want to create a separate Windows log in just to sync a Shuffle. ;)

IIRC, iTunes lets you name the Shuffles, but I'd prefer not to install iTunes (especially just for that). Would naming them help MM? If so, will MM add support for naming devices?
Lifetime license since Nov 2006
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

You can already rename portable devices by slow double clicking them in the tree. Try that and see if MM will differentiate them then.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
skst

Post by skst »

Yes, I can rename them with MM, but it didn't help. There's only one d_iPod.dll in the list (Options > Portable/Audio Devices). I've plugged them in separately and together--MM thinks they're the same device and merely updates the name of the device associated with d_iPod.dll. When I plug them in together, the second one is d_WMDM.dll (not d_iPod.dll).
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
_Steve

Re: Synchronizing two iPod Shuffles

Post by _Steve »

Same problem (Two second generation shuffles)

Ever find a solution?
skst

Post by skst »

I'm afraid not. I have to manually synchronize one of them. Very tedious.
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Have you tried making a copy of d_ipod.dll in MediaMonkey\Plugins\ , and renaming it something like d_ipod2.dll? Can't imagine why you'd need to do this as other ipod types seem to work fine with just one plugin but maybe it will work as a workaround for you.

_Steve

Post by _Steve »

nohitter: I did try making a second copy of d_ipod.dll earlier today. The 1st ipod showed up twice (with the same name, drive label, and songs), while the 2nd ipod still showed as a windows drive only(d_WMDM.dll).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Well I know there are issues concerning hooking up more than 1 ipod at once (that's with any iPod model), but i thought two plugins might work for each different device when plugged in at separate times (I guess not?)

skst

Post by skst »

Nope, and it shouldn't matter--there's no need to have a separate copy of each DLL for each device you want to use. I don't even care if they can't be plugged in at the same time (although that shouldn't matter); what I really want to do is plug them in at different times and have separate configs for each one.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as if this is a priority for MM. I can appreciate that other bugs have higher priority, but is it really so rare for people to sync more than one iPod model on a single computer?
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

skst wrote:...is it really so rare for people to sync more than one iPod model on a single computer?
No, but that's what I was trying to say earlier. This seems to be an issue for iPod shuffles only - I don't think the problem exists for multiple iPods.

nduke

Post by nduke »

nohitter151 wrote:
skst wrote:...is it really so rare for people to sync more than one iPod model on a single computer?
No, but that's what I was trying to say earlier. This seems to be an issue for iPod shuffles only - I don't think the problem exists for multiple iPods.
I came across this thread because I just added a 2nd iPod and was looking for a solution to this same problem.

I used to just have a shuffle (early gen) and just added a Classic, so apparently it's not just with two shuffles where this problem shows up. Plugging them in separately they each show the correct name but share the same settings. Obviously I don't want a 30GB and a 1GB to share the same setting!

Anyone found a solution or workaround yet?
skst

Post by skst »

None that I've been told of. It's kind of funny that the four Creative Zen products we have don't have this problem. Another reason to buy Creative. :wink:
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
nduke

Post by nduke »

skst wrote:None that I've been told of. It's kind of funny that the four Creative Zen products we have don't have this problem. Another reason to buy Creative. :wink:
Actually I'm a huge Creative fan myself. I've only had to move to the iPod because my Zen Vision M has been slowly dying. I was hoping to move on to the Zen X-Fi but my wife had the iPod that she wasn't using. Yes, I'm a grown man but I don't have permission to buy a new Zen. :oops:
skst

Post by skst »

I hope you can appreciate the irony of my 14yo son buying a 32GB X-Fi just a few days ago. :wink: How do they get more freedom than us??
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
nduke

Post by nduke »

I feel your pain - I'm the tech geek in the family but it seems like my wife and daughters always have better gear than me! It's just not right!