Songs Won't Play

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

crispypop

Songs Won't Play

Post by crispypop »

Hi, I downloaded the latest final and latest beta versions of Media Monkey. The program installs fine, and I can add in my library, but if I try to play any song (using the internal player) nothing happens. Sometimes the progress bar moves, sometimes it doesn't, but it never actually outputs any audio. I've tried both the DirectSound and WaveOut plugins (both of which work in Winamp) and it's the same. No playback, no audio, no rock and roll.

I tried uninstalling, deleting the settings folder in LocalSettings\AppData, deleting both known registry locations in HKCU\Software\ and then reinstalling. Same thing. I can't make MM play a song to save my life.

Any idea what could be going on?
Eyal

Re: Songs Won't Play

Post by Eyal »

Is it doing this with any kind of file (mp3, wma, wav...)?
Try playing with the volume slide on the player and the one of the soundcard.
Maybe the Mute button on the player / on the sound card software ...
What else? Maybe turn ON your speakers? (just kidding).
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
crispypop

Post by crispypop »

MP3 files.

I've tried all the simple things. I've closed MM and immediately opened Winamp and played a file, so it's not the sound card, speakers, cables, etc... My PC is capable of producing noise.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

What about your mp3 Input Plugin?

When playing a mp3, right-click on the player and select [Configure current input plug-in].

You should have:
MediaMonkey MP3 Player v2.0
Copyright (C) 2002-2007 vy Ventis Media Inc.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

crispypop wrote:Hi, I downloaded the latest final and latest beta versions of Media Monkey. The program installs fine, and I can add in my library, but if I try to play any song (using the internal player) nothing happens. Sometimes the progress bar moves, sometimes it doesn't, but it never actually outputs any audio. I've tried both the DirectSound and WaveOut plugins (both of which work in Winamp) and it's the same. No playback, no audio, no rock and roll.

I tried uninstalling, deleting the settings folder in LocalSettings\AppData, deleting both known registry locations in HKCU\Software\ and then reinstalling. Same thing. I can't make MM play a song to save my life.

Any idea what could be going on?
Check that you have the most recent/updated version of WMP11.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
crispypop

Post by crispypop »

I can confirm that's the input plugin being used.

When I did Help->Check for Updates in WMP11, it said I had the latest version.
flyingwombat007

Post by flyingwombat007 »

I have the same problem, it only plays for a maximum of 1 second then stops, at this rate itunes is looking pretty good.
Ron Diel

Post by Ron Diel »

I am having the exact same issue on Windows Vista Ultimate. I have tried the regular MP3 decoder and and the inMad decoder.When this problem first appeared, I would have to restart the computer in order for MM to play again. This morning, I started having the same issue, rebooted, but this time MM still refuses to play MP3s (my library of approximately 17,000+ songs is 98% MP3 with the others being WMA).

I really prefer MM to WMP or even WinAmp. Can somebody please help?
Mitch470

Post by Mitch470 »

I had the same problem for several days. I posted here and could not get any solution. I was going to use WMP 11 to play the songs and just use MM 3.0.3.1183 to organize my files.

Then, voila, I noticed that volume slider on MM in the lower right hand corner was all the way down to the bottom. I raised it up and now MM plays MP3 files just fine. In the default skin the slider is grey on grey and easy to miss. It would be better if it had a contrasting color.
Cheers,

Mitch
Ron Diel

Post by Ron Diel »

If only it were that simple!

No, like described above, it will only play for about a second and then freeze.
Mitch470

Post by Mitch470 »

Ron Diel wrote:If only it were that simple!

No, like described above, it will only play for about a second and then freeze.
If everything fails, then go down the road I was planning. Use Windows Media Player 11 to play the files and use Media Monkey 3.0.3.1183 to organize the files. I believe you can even export playlists from MM to WMP.
Cheers,

Mitch
Ron Diel

Post by Ron Diel »

OK....

It seems there is an issue with MM3 and something in Vista Ultimate handling sound. I'm still trying to figure out where the issue is, but when MM stops playing music, so do WinAmp and WMP. If anyone out there has any ideas, please share them.
Mitch470

Post by Mitch470 »

Ron Diel wrote:OK....

It seems there is an issue with MM3 and something in Vista Ultimate handling sound. I'm still trying to figure out where the issue is, but when MM stops playing music, so do WinAmp and WMP. If anyone out there has any ideas, please share them.
You may need a new sound card driver to work with Vista. Go to your sound card's manufacturer's web site and download and install it.
Cheers,

Mitch
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

This is so pants, there are loads of complaints on the forums about no playback through the device- and my zen creative does the exact same thing. I can use my creative organiser to play the music, but mediamonkey seemed alot easier to use at first, now its terrible. I can't believe that something thats supposed to be a better alternative to itunes can't even playback music through you're device!
As you may have guessed, im pretty pissed off lol!
radiel

Post by radiel »

Phaedrus,

the issue I was having was with Windows playback. I took Mitch's advice and changed the driver, but I found an older driver for my sound card and now it works perfectly.