Non-standard characters

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Non-standard characters

Post by Lowlander »

MM 2.3 is behaving very strangly here with characters with an accent.

I doesn't use tags when removed from library and re-added.

When editing the tags a small file with a messed up filename is created. As long as this file is present MM reads the tags when adding files new to the library.

When adding album art this extra files grows in size.

All this on a windows XP machine.
namidori

Re: Non-standard characters

Post by namidori »

Lowlander wrote:MM 2.3 is behaving very strangly here with characters with an accent.

I doesn't use tags when removed from library and re-added.

When editing the tags a small file with a messed up filename is created. As long as this file is present MM reads the tags when adding files new to the library.

When adding album art this extra files grows in size.

All this on a windows XP machine.
Found another problem with non-standard characters. MM works great with Japanese unicode filenames most of the time. It works fine in the album and stored playlist. But if a filename or pathname in the "Now Playing" section contains katakana small "i" or small "tsu", and you close MM, then when you open it again these entries are greyed out. MM can't seem to remember paths with these types of characters. A katakana small "i" gets replaced by E£ (capital E and british pound), resulting in a broken path.

This is on Windows XP, with language for non-unicode programs set to Japanese
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

I have a similar problem. I have one song (mp3-file) which is always shown in the "unsynchronized tags" node. This song has the German umlaut ö in its title tag and also in the file name. When I select this song and choose "synchronize tags", in the same directory where the song file is stored a file is created having the same file name except that the ö is replaced by the characters ö. This file has only about 2KB (the original file has about 2.8MB).
Even after having chosen "synchronize tags" the original file is still shown in the "unsynchronized tags" node.

I usually use OGG instead of mp3 for encoding and have a lot of other OGG-files having German umlauts in the file name and title but do not have any problems with these OGG-files. The problem arises only with the MP3-file (but this is the only MP3-file I have with umlauts). Could that be a problem with mp3-tags and non-standard characters which does not occur with OGG-files?

This is also on an windows XP machine.
jiri

Post by jiri »

I wasn't able to reproduce this. Should anyone has some more information or could generate a debug log, please let me know.

Jiri
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This has been resolved with MM 2.4 A1 as far as I know.

The | character gives me problems. MM doesn't seem to have a proper character mapping for it.
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

@Jiri

Should I send you the mp3-file via e-mail for testing?

Dieter
jiri

Post by jiri »

I think that the file wouldn't help, I tried one with 'ö'. Maybe a debug help would help...

Jiri
Hiroyasu Ishikawa

Character Problem

Post by Hiroyasu Ishikawa »

Hi Everybody,
I live in Japan. I use Japanese Language, off course.
I got a similar problem. And I tested some Japanese character on MediaMonkey. I found characters which makes the problem.

When I use a character with voiced consonant signal, MediaMonkey get wrong directory name.
Here is a example.
when I read

c:\testdir\oooxo\testfile.mp3
if x is a character with voiced consonant signal, MediaMonkey recognize directory like..
c - testdir - oooxo\ - estfile.mp3

c:\testdir\ooxxo\testfile.mp3
recognize like
c - testdir - ooxxo\t - stfile.mp3

I think this problem is from utf-8. because the size of a character of utf-8 format is valiable. I guess other languages, like Korean, have same problem.

There is a screenshot of this problem.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/hiroyasu-ish ... odeerr.gif

I bet Language code problem is complex and painful, but very important for us. Please Help us!

Hiro
jiri

Post by jiri »

Hiro,

could you please e-mail me your 'My Music\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.mdb' file with as much as possible description of the problem. You have already described it well, but as you wrote, this isn't an easy problem and it's hard to debug for us using only 30 ASCII characters... :)

Jiri