DRM restriction error message

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

boyd

DRM restriction error message

Post by boyd »

Can anyone help? Having successfully ripped half my CD's with MM, I then installed a Linkstation as a NAS (L drive) and also downloaded the PrettyPictures script. Every time I now try to rip a CD I get the same error message, telling me that the file cannot be decoded -- possibly due to DRA restrictions. Anyone got any good ideas? Thanks
reithner

Re: DRM restriction error message

Post by reithner »

I've been looking in the forum for the answer to this question. I also am getting the message. It gives the path and filename as \temp\Track06.wav, and it "cannot be decoded. It is possibly due to DRM restrictions"

I'm running this on a older laptop with XP Home, but updated to SP3 recently. I'm not sure what changed that caused this to start happening, but nothing with Linkstation or PRettyPictures.

I just click retry and it continues to work. Sometimes it happens more than once per CD that I'm ripping.

By the way, I'm putting my CD's into mp3 format on external hard disk and using my laptop to drive the stereo. It lets me get 1K of cd's out of my living room. So far I think MM is great.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you use the free version of MediaMonkey and rip to MP3 you can only do so for 30 days do to licensing restrictions on the Lame MP3 Encoder. You can either purchase MediaMonkey Gold or download an unlimited version of the Lame Encoder.
htg1

Post by htg1 »

I've been using MM for a couple of months without any problems on an XP box. I recently got a new machine with Vista. I have MM Gold on both machines. Am getting the DRM message on all CDs I try to rip on the Vista machine. Everything works fine on the XP box. The two MMs appear to be configured identically, other than paths.

Any advice?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

htg1 wrote:I've been using MM for a couple of months without any problems on an XP box. I recently got a new machine with Vista. I have MM Gold on both machines. Am getting the DRM message on all CDs I try to rip on the Vista machine. Everything works fine on the XP box. The two MMs appear to be configured identically, other than paths.

Any advice?
Try running MM as admin, see if you have the same problems (Right click MM icon -> Run as administrator).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
htg1

Post by htg1 »

That worked. Thank you.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

htg1 wrote:That worked. Thank you.
That means you windows user account doesn't have access to where you're trying to rip the CD. You should either disable the 'UAC' (User account control) or always run MM as admin (if you right click the MM icon, then see the "Compatibility" tab, you can set to always run as admin).

JPdOttawa

Post by JPdOttawa »

I had a similar problem and found that if I cleared the checkbox from the volume levelling it worked.
omalley61

Post by omalley61 »

okay so i downloaded the lame encoder and it still says cannot be decoded because of drm restrictions. Any ideas??
Todd 2

Post by Todd 2 »

This is driving me freaking crazy. It only does this on Vista or Windows 7, and this is really the only thing that's keeping me on XP. Is there any way to fix this?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Todd 2 wrote:This is driving me freaking crazy. It only does this on Vista or Windows 7, and this is really the only thing that's keeping me on XP. Is there any way to fix this?
Have you tried running MM as admin, sometimes the UAC blocks MediaMonkey.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Todd 2 wrote:This is driving me freaking crazy. It only does this on Vista or Windows 7, and this is really the only thing that's keeping me on XP. Is there any way to fix this?
Have you tried to download an unlimited Lame encoder from the internet and use it instead?
Todd 2

Post by Todd 2 »

Yes, I've tried everything on this page and everything I've search for. I should clarify that this is actually happening when I try to analyze volume on tracks that are on my sansa mp3 player, NOT when I try ripping a cd.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Todd 2 wrote:Yes, I've tried everything on this page and everything I've search for. I should clarify that this is actually happening when I try to analyze volume on tracks that are on my sansa mp3 player, NOT when I try ripping a cd.
Why analyze volume of tracks on your sansa? I doubt the Sansa can utilize the volume tags anyway.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Todd 2 wrote:Yes, I've tried everything on this page and everything I've search for. I should clarify that this is actually happening when I try to analyze volume on tracks that are on my sansa mp3 player, NOT when I try ripping a cd.
Can you analyze songs located on your PC? If you can it's an issue with the Sansa.