Borders in scripts

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

gege

Borders in scripts

Post by gege »

gege wrote:Still regarding borders, I'd like (Wish #2) the ability to get rid of that damn border that show up only for embedded ActiveX object. It breaks any design effort out there (ask DreadM, with Noir skin).
OK, I'll continue my rant against borders :)
Just to illustrate my complaint about ActiveX panels' borders, I took these screenshots:
Image Image
Notice that AlbumArt and Now playing don't have the same gray border LyricsViewer has. This apply to all scripts that use ActiveX embedded objects (LV, MonkeyRok, WebSearch Panels...)

There's another detail: part of that border is currently skinnable, other part is not. You can see this comparing Glided an Songbird screenshots above. Songbird shows only a grey border in inner part of ActiveX control, while Glided has an additional border (which, I have noticed in the past, is shared by the outer frame of option sheets, in "Options" dialog).
ZvezdanD

Re: Skinning functionality wishlist

Post by ZvezdanD »

gege wrote:Notice that AlbumArt and Now playing don't have the same gray border LyricsViewer has. This apply to all scripts that use ActiveX embedded objects (LV, MonkeyRok, WebSearch Panels...)
I think this is up to script developers, not to the MM itself. MM should not change a design of html page contained in the ActiveX control. Script developer could use a style border:none for body and/or table elements (or whatever html page contains). Just take a look at Magic Nodes v2.2 or RegExp F&R v3.2.

By the way, here is a difference before and after modification of the Lyrics script:

Image Image
Last edited by ZvezdanD on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
gege

Post by gege »

ZvezdanD wrote:By the way, here is a difference before and after modification of the Lyrics script:
Wow! This is what I'm talking about! :o
Could you pass me this code, please?
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Cool. :D

Could you explain me how I can make Monkey Rok borders free?
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

gege wrote:
ZvezdanD wrote:By the way, here is a difference before and after modification of the Lyrics script:
Wow! This is what I'm talking about! :o
Could you pass me this code, please?
Instead of the line 209:

Code: Select all

Doc.Add " <html>"
you should write:

Doc.Add "<html style=""border:none"">"
Instead of the line 92:

Sxp.Common.Align=5
you should write:

Sxp.Common.ClientWidth = Pnl.Common.ClientWidth
          Sxp.Common.ClientHeight = Pnl.Common.ClientHeight
          Sxp.Common.Anchors = 15
You should mention my name in the code ;)
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

will this work if I search and replace these lines in Monkey Rok?
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Dreadlau wrote:Could you explain me how I can make Monkey Rok borders free?
In the MonkeyRok.vbs file, instead of the line 306:

web.Common.Align = 5
you should write:

web.Common.ClientWidth = pan.Common.ClientWidth
  web.Common.ClientHeight = pan.Common.ClientHeight
  web.Common.Anchors = 15
Add the next line to the skin.css file for wanted/all skin(s):

html {border:none}
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Thank you.
I'm gonna try these.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

mmmmm.
I must have done something wrong.
Now MM starts in non-skinned mode :-?
gege

Post by gege »

ZvezdanD wrote:You should mention my name in the code ;)
OK, I owe you this and also a six-pack of beer, just in case you decide to take vacations here in Brazil :D

There's a problem, though. The border:none trick works only if I comment out the "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC..." line, which means IE working in Quirks mode. This happens for both, Lyrics Viewer and MonkeyRok. Unfortunately, working in quirks mode will break lots of skins (again for both LV and MR) :(

Did you change that line too? Or just the ones you pasted above? And, what's your IE version?
I'm using IE8 RC1, so it may be the problem...

On the other hand, the ClientWidth/ClientHeight/Anchors trick works fine in both LV and MR.

Big thanks for your help so far.
ZvezdanD

Skinning functionality wishlist

Post by ZvezdanD »

gege wrote:Did you change that line too? Or just the ones you pasted above? And, what's your IE version?
No, I did not change that line, only mentioned lines. I have XP and IE6 (which, by the way, I am not using - FF).

Maybe you could try to add border:none to the body style instead of html...
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

:oops: For the non skinned mode it was my fault.
I changed the lines in MR and skin.css
but the borders are still there :-?
gege

Post by gege »

ZvezdanD wrote:Maybe you could try to add border:none to the body style instead of html...
Result is the same for <html style="border:none"> or <body style="border:none"> :evil:

But thanks, anyway. I'll keep trying...
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

gege wrote:Unfortunately, working in quirks mode will break lots of skins (again for both LV and MR) :(
I just tried MM in Vista and you are right - border is not displayed only if I remove <!DOCTYPE HTML ... >. Could you explain what is happening with skins in quirks mode? I cannot see any difference when it is in that mode.
gege

Post by gege »

ZvezdanD wrote:
gege wrote:Unfortunately, working in quirks mode will break lots of skins (again for both LV and MR) :(
I just tried MM in Vista and you are right - border is not displayed only if I remove <!DOCTYPE HTML ... >. Could you explain what is happening with skins in quirks mode? I cannot see any difference when it is in that mode.
Turns out you're quite right. Side effects are not that bad for LV.
I tested all built in LV skins and also some 3rd party ones, found in this forum. For some, like Forum and Songbird, min-width and max-width CSS properties are not respected, but that's not a big deal. The only one really affected is Forum_Noir, whose header section is not shown. But I think I can figure out what's causing the problem.