Songbird scripts and plugins

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

danhackley

Songbird scripts and plugins

Post by danhackley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Looking at the relatively new media player/organiser "Songbird" (http://getsongbird.com/), I was struck by the amount of quality-looking addons and plugins. The Songbird Add-ons page alone has 351 addons.

Clicking on the "Addons" tab on the Mediamonkey webpage, a laughable 5 appear. There are of course skins and visualisations, and 7 addons under Input/Output, but nothing like the amount and quality that are available with Songbird. Why this massive discrepancy?
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3

Mizery_Made

Re: Songbird scripts and plugins

Post by Mizery_Made » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Ironic you post this topic in this area of the forum since there are countless scripts/add-ons in here. Heck, there's even an "All Scripts" post in here which has a collection of several.

Nebbin

Post by Nebbin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:58 pm

There are a LOT of scripts available for MM, but the method of finding them (forum search) is far from optimal... This is certainly an area which needs a cleanup and a more formalised structure. I'm fairly sure that the dev's have it on their to-do list.

jiri

Post by jiri » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:33 am

Yes, this is actually a work in progress, and although it has been promised for a long time, a nice scripting repository should really finally appear on our web soon (i.e. probably a matter of weeks).

Jiri

gege

Post by gege » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:17 am

jiri wrote:Yes, this is actually a work in progress, and although it has been promised for a long time, a nice scripting repository should really finally appear on our web soon (i.e. probably a matter of weeks).

Jiri
At last!!!! Thanks for the info, jiri.

danhackley

Post by danhackley » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Good, that would encourage users to opt for Mediamonkey rather than Songbird !
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:39 pm

jiri wrote:Yes, this is actually a work in progress, and although it has been promised for a long time, a nice scripting repository should really finally appear on our web soon (i.e. probably a matter of weeks).

Jiri
Nice:)
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Jiri
Sweeeeet

ragnarok22193

Post by ragnarok22193 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:01 am

a website & program like songbird that (to my knowledge) only uses a directory to list scripts is bad. I usually see a lack of quality from these & a big increase in quality in things that use a forum. try and comparing scripts like Tagging Inconsistencies, RegExp Find & Replace, Magicnodes, and the MANY others against any songbird script. Mediamonkey wins

But the idea of adding a directory to mediamonkey is definitely a good idea! A forum is a must when it comes to programs that use scripts/addons, but it is always nice to have another way of discovering scripts! So definitely excited the news of some sort of directory!

Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:44 am

ragnarok22193 wrote:a website & program like songbird that (to my knowledge) only uses a directory to list scripts is bad. I usually see a lack of quality from these & a big increase in quality in things that use a forum. try and comparing scripts like Tagging Inconsistencies, RegExp Find & Replace, Magicnodes, and the MANY others against any songbird script. Mediamonkey wins

But the idea of adding a directory to mediamonkey is definitely a good idea! A forum is a must when it comes to programs that use scripts/addons, but it is always nice to have another way of discovering scripts! So definitely excited the news of some sort of directory!
I think the best thing about the script directory won't nessesarily be for the end users - rather for the developers - having a common repository will allow for easier version control etc.
True this will ultimately end up being better for an end user, as less time wasted fiddling with 3rd party hosting, data loss, perhaps easier packaging / testing?

Although just realized I missed one important one - AUTOMATIC SCRIPT UPDATES (zomg!) Please tell me this will finally be happening :D

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:56 am

Well it's already possible (and a number of my installation packages do) to have a version check built it - you need to go to the "Extensions" screen and click "Find Updates" though, which might not be automatic enough for you?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.