converting m4a files to mp3

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mbatzman

converting m4a files to mp3

Post by mbatzman »

I'm new to this MM thing so be patient with me please. I imported all my music and am trying to load/sync to a new Sansa Fuze. None of my iTunes m4a files load/sync onto the Sansa, the m4p files don't play on MM at all and the wma files gray out and skip over on MM

I have MM version 3+ running on windows xp. I also successfully upgraded my firmware on my Sansa Fuze.

I did try to convert some music to mp3 via the convert in the tools menu. It seemed to do it as the green bar crawled across the bottom but then nothing changed.

Any help teaching me how to convert these all to mp3 would be appreciated. Please try to give me simple, step-by-step directions.

thanks!
paulmt

Re: converting m4a files to mp3

Post by paulmt »

You have options to select when converting format within MM
1. is to replace track with the new converted track - therefore MM sees the original track in it's original location but converted e.g. m4a to mp3
2. is to create the new converted track while still keeping the original format - therefore you will have duplicate tracks albeit with different syntax e.g. m4a and mp3
part of this is that you can save the newly converted track to another location.

Check the original location to see if the converted files are there or check the settings in convert for they may have been sent to - assuming you didn't use the replace option in which case they should be in the original location.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think you need to purchase the AAC plugin to be able to convert m4a files. You probably need iTunes installed to play m4p files (due to DRM management). As for WMA files you need certain Windows Media components to be able to play them.
mbatzman

Post by mbatzman »

Paul...

Question, do I need to do the conversion in the library or can I do the conversion on the playlist level?

I'd like to try your suggestion before I purchase a plug-in I may not need.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can convert any number of tracks you want to.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

As Lowlander said, you can convert as many files at one session as you want. Highlight all the files and click on tools\convert audio files.
To highlight bulk files, click on the first in the list then the last with shift key pressed. Keep in mind converting a lot of files at once does take some cpu power so you may want to stop playback while your doing this.

I think lowlander is also right about the plugins to do m4a may well need to be purchased, I have got them, not sure where or when, but I can convert mfa to mp3 anyway. You can do a search on google for free m4a - mp3 converters and do this outside MM, after which you can import the converted files into your library.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,