1232 iPod Touch album art issues

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

telliott

1232 iPod Touch album art issues

Post by telliott »

I just upgraded 3.1.0.1232 and I have a few questions about album art on my iPod Touch. Most of the album art is working fine but I'm having an issue with a particular box set. I found and added art and it showed up on the player the next time I synced so I know the art is the proper size.

At some point, the cover art for that set dissapeared on the Touch (first gen. 2.2 firmware, jailbroken). I could not get that album art to come back no matter what I tried. I deleted it and re synced it but no luck. I even started from scratch after updating the Touch to 2.2.1 and jailbreaking it again.

The art (for this box set) showed up in the properties as "not specified". I change it to "Cover (front)" but no luck. Most other art is showing up correctly. The only other album art problem I am having is with podcasts. It's hit and miss (mostly miss). It's strange but "Cnet News Daily" always shows cover art but "Buzz Out Loud" (Also from Cnet) doesn't.

Do we know exactly how the iPhone and the iPod Touch store album art and what size it will accept and display properly? Does it matter if the art is in the tag of folder.jpg? Also I don't want to get rid of any high res art I've found and I'm not going to manually scan all my tracks to make sure the art is under XxX dimensions or under a certain size. MM should do that while syncing since the limitation is only applicable to the one device.

I'm sure some updating will be done to the album art sync function but what can I do in the meantime, especially with art that used to show up correctly?

Thanks,
Tim
telliott

Re: 1232 iPod Touch album art issues

Post by telliott »

(Bump!) Any ideas?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I have art ranging from 100x100 to 1200x1200 on my iPhone (embedded in mp3 tags) and have never had any art problems at all.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
telliott

Post by telliott »

Thanks for your reply. We need to come up with a list of things that are known to break album art on the iPhone and iPod Touch. I don't sync audio via iTunes and I've tried to download all video on the Touch itself. I've mainly been managing apps on the Touch too.

The only thing I've seen documented is that transferring audio via iTunes can remove art from tracks uploaded via MM. Also, does the art have to be "Cover (front)" in MM properties? Sometimes I have a single image but it's listed as "unspecified"

Tim
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

telliott wrote:Thanks for your reply. We need to come up with a list of things that are known to break album art on the iPhone and iPod Touch. I don't sync audio via iTunes and I've tried to download all video on the Touch itself. I've mainly been managing apps on the Touch too.

The only thing I've seen documented is that transferring audio via iTunes can remove art from tracks uploaded via MM. Also, does the art have to be "Cover (front)" in MM properties? Sometimes I have a single image but it's listed as "unspecified"

Tim
No, I've a mix of images descriptions as well, the first image always displays fine.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jest

it might be your podcasts

Post by jest »

has anyone tried this?

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 45#p204261

i've noticed the problem usually occurs when I have podcasts on my ipod downloaded through apple or iTunes. apple modifies ID3 tags in their podcasts which may screw up the album art database file on your ipod. deleting those podcasts seems to solve the problem for me.

I think there is a bug in the way MM reads cover art for podcasts downloaded through iTunes.
telliott

Post by telliott »

My audio podcasts are downloaded through MediaMonkey. I've only downloaded a few video podcasts. The last few were downloaded wirelessly on the ipod using the iTunes app.

Tim
jest

Post by jest »

I can confirm this too. Everything was fine recently,

until...

I downloaded a podcast through mediamonkey. at first, it worked ok, but when i deleted the podcast from the ipod, all the artwork was corrupted.

As a test, i downloaded the same podcast through a web browser. When doing it this way, the podcast isn't treated as a podcast, but a regular mp3 with the genre set to "other."

It's clear that it's not an issue with the ipod, but the way MM is handling the podcast. whenever the file is treated as a podcast, things go haywire, whether it's downloaded through itunes or MM.

Are any of the developers reading this or aware of the issue?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I cannot reproduce, downloaded a podcast by using mediamonkey, synced to iPhone, disconnected from PC, connected to PC, deleted the Podcast by using MediaMonkey and all the artwork is still there. But I don't have my iPhone jailbroken, maybe it could play a role, but I wouldn't say so. I also have a video on it synced by using iTues.
rusty

Post by rusty »

For the single album that isn't showing album art: selecting all the tracks on the album and go to Properties > Album art and:
a) ensure that only a single image is present
b) apply the art (with 'apply to all selected tracks' enabled)

Re. the podcasts, I also have not been able to replicate corrupted album art on the iPhone by using iTunes podcasts, however, I'm current testing with 2.1 firmware.

-Rusty