Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Re:

Post by chrisjj »

Morten wrote:add a poll.
Awaited! ;)
Chris
DaveStewart

Re: Multiple Libraries?

Post by DaveStewart »

A few usability suggestions:

1 - Put the "Start MM" button first, and have it be the default button / action when pressing the return key, or...
2 - ... double-clicking an Album radio button, which would also choose the Library and start Media Monkey
3 - Have the full text on the buttons, ie "Start MediaMonkey" and "Add Database..."
4 - Place the buttons below the radio buttons
5 - Tidy the interface a bit, by having everything Title Case, and other tidy ups such as adding more space around the Group Box.

I just think this would make it nicer to use.

Cheers,
Dave
drichm

Post by drichm »

Mantis Issues of Interest

"Allow for easier switching between multiple libraries": http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=4963

Also of interest, "Portable version of MediaMonkey": http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=2439

Dave
mobunce

Post by mobunce »

Cast my vote for multiple librarys/collections. I do lots of audio books with a track every 3 minutes and 20-40 CDs per book. So my library is cluttered with thousands of speech tracks intermixed with my MP3s.

i been using WMP (gag) for the books
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As mentioned before you can use filters to filter out the audiobooks which means you don't need to use multiple libraries.
markfaine

Post by markfaine »

MoDementia wrote:Yet, still no one has outlined exactly what the advantage is?

All they keep saying is that they need it :(

No matter what I do MM always treats my media as if they are all the same even though it consists of not only Music but also Audiobooks and podcast. I think the ability to have a separate database for each would be of great benefit to me, even if it only allowed me to keep things separate in my own head. Just because you may not see a reason for you personally to have a feature does not mean it has no useful purpose to others. This feature is a "no-brainer", it requires minimal effort to implement and does not impose any restrictions or added burden to those who would not wish to make use of it.

-Mark
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Lowlander wrote:As mentioned before you can use filters to filter out the audiobooks which means you don't need to use multiple libraries.
etc

PS point is almost mute whith 3.1 /inifile
balconybar

Post by balconybar »

I would appreciate multiple libraries also, it's more like an essential for me. Just for simple delineation of things like Classical collection, Jazz CD's, Christmas music and, of course, my Dad's record collection. They're all wonderful in their own ways but I don't want them all appearing in my own record collection, or coming up in Auto DJ, for example.

Please look into this MM guys, I can see this functionality being a real boon for lost of users.

Thanks for a great product.

Gordon
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Many audio cataloger have a possibility to open and work with specified database file, even to transfer data from one database to another. I really don't know why MM is missing same thing. Even if I don't need that, I give a vote for it.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
redelephant

Post by redelephant »

Surely the whole point of this WISHLIST is to enable the developers to gauge the level of demand for certain improvements, and so give priority to things that a lot of people want to see.

This thread has been running for nearly four years now, with the majority of the posts being from people (me included) who would really like to be able to run multiple libraries.

How much longer must we wait?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is why the filters were introduced in MediaMonkey 3.0 and the /inifile command line parameter for MediaMonkey 3.1. These provide a multiple library solution for many users.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Filters exist in many (almost all) audio catalogers - this is not anything special, you could even use Magic Nodes for this. Those two things are not mutually exclusive and there are plenty of catalogers that have both filtering and support for a work with multiple databases.

Just my example - I am developing scripts and I have several databases that some users sent me for tests. Whenever I want to test my scripts with some another database I need to restart program and to modify database filename, which is pretty tedious.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a database switch selector script. You will still need to restart MediaMonkey though.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

This is not the Need Help forum, but the Wishlist.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No need to get angry at people trying to be helpful.