Filtered Statistics Report 1.5.1 (2009-10-09) [MM3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ZvezdanD

Filtered Statistics Report 1.5.1 (2009-10-09) [MM3]

Post by ZvezdanD »

Description:

This script works with MM 3.x and is requested in this thread. It is modified version of the Stats.vbs script made by TheRocket which is included with the program. This version has added support for MM filters, skin styles, the progress bar, the Options Sheet with a possibility to toggle display of sections in the report, also corrected many SQL queries and values.

Download:

http://solair.eunet.rs/~zvezdand/StatsFiltered.htm

Image Image

What is new:
v1.5.1 - 2009-10-09
- Fixed: minimal number of tracks after the program restart.

v1.5 - 2009-07-23
- Added: option to set minimal number of rated/played tracks for Top sections.

v1.4.1 - 2009-06-24
- Fixed: played values for iPods when songs are not played in MM.

v1.4 - 2009-05-13
- Added: support for skin styles with custom configurable .css files;
- Fixed: total number of genres (now calculated only for genres contained in the library).

v1.3.1 - 2009-05-06
- Fixed: error in some situations introduced with the last update.

v1.3 - 2009-05-05
- Added: option to set the number of Top items;
- Fixed: error with filter names which contain "'".

v1.3 - 2009-05-05
- Added: option to set the number of Top items;
- Fixed: error with filter names which contain "'".

v1.2.2 - 2009-04-13
- Fixed: very serious problem with some filters.

v1.2.1 - 2009-04-12
- Fixed: problem with the installation package.

v1.2 - 2009-04-12
- Added: Options Sheet and Options dialog with options for display of sections in the report.

v1.1.2 - 2009-04-11
-Fixed: error with Total for Original Artists.

v1.1.1 - 2009-04-11
-Fixed: error with Tracks per Lyricist and incorrect Total for Original Artists.

v1.1 - 2009-04-11
- Added: some new fields (Conductor, Original Artist) and several new sections (Top 10 Rated Artists, Top 10 Rated Genres, Top 10 * Composers, Top 10 * Lyricists, ...)
- Improved: look of tables.

v1.0 - 2009-04-10
- First public version.

Installation:

Just double click on the StatsFiltered.mmip file; if you are on Vista make sure you have MM3 set to "Run as Administrator"; if you downloaded the installation package with IE and it changed its extension to a .zip, you should first change it back to a .mmip.

Usage:

Choose the File / Create Reports / Statistics (filtered) option; script settings are in the Tools / Options dialog box within Filtered Statistics Report tab.
Last edited by ZvezdanD on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
nynaevelan

Re: Filtered Statistics Report 1.0 (2009-04-10) [MM3]

Post by nynaevelan »

Zvezdand:

It looks fantastic!! :D Thanks for your work on this, the addition of the progress bar is a big help in determining how long before it is complete and you know I love the filters. There are just two minor cosmetic details. In all the Played categories the word "played" is not capitalized (was like this in the original) and in the Top 10 Genres Played they are not sorted in descending order as all the other sections are. Other than that it looks great and I am looking forward to the additions you add to the next version. :D And yes I am never satisfied, always looking for the bigger, better script. :wink:

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

Ooh, me like! Looks like some great improvements in this one. Seems you've fixed the couple things I was talking about, and then some. Though, I notice a few things with this version that I figured I would mention and see what is said.

First thing I notice is that Composer & Lyricists have been added to the Totals section. This is good, since there are those that use these, so it's only right that they get some representation too. What are the chances of a Conductor entry as well? Beyond that, I notice that the Totals area is the only place these have been added. There plans to also insert them in to the Averages section and to give each their own Top #/Top # Played sections? I guess having it run on each person type could slow it down a lot, and most probably only use/care about Artists, but maybe it would be possible to insert them, but have them on a switch at the top? Not a VBScript, so it's just my thoughts.

I like the addition of the Playcount entry in the Totals area too, as that was something I was thinking of suggesting prior to running this report, but was happy to see that it had already been included.

I haven't opened up the Original and your Modified version of the Stats report to check the formulas, but is everything in line for the Average Year entries? Reason I ask this is while the original version that comes with MediaMonkey is reporting my library average for year is 1996, I find that yours is giving 2002, which is a drastic change, thus figured I would point it out and make sure everything is in order. One thing that might have thrown off one formula or the other, is the fact that most of my files just have a Year, but a good chunk of them have a full release date "11/15/2005" for instance.

Something both this updated version and the MM Original version suffer from is what I view as a cosmetic problem. Coding tables are a pain when you have static data, and when you're just messing with HTML alone. I can't imagine how hard it is to do when you're messing with changing values (such as when someones playcount jumps from 99 to 100), and also having to contend with VBScript. Anyway, the tables aren't very uniform, and thus come off looking a little sloppy. Only a suggestion, but maybe some tweaking could be done with them so they line up better, so you don't have one Played column "way over here" and in the next section, it's "way over there," if that makes sense without a visual. Again thought, that's just a cosmetic thing.

Anyway, overall, I'm liking what you're doing with this script, and look forward to seeing what or if you come with something new for it.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Thanks for comments and suggestions. :)

@nynaevelan - Yes, I though to capitalize a word "played" in headings, but was not sure what other would think about it. Speaking about cosmetic changes, I am also thinking to apply central alignment of the main title which is currently left aligned - what you think about it? Also, maybe it would be better to write Top 10 Played Artists (or Album, Genres and so on) than Top 10 Artists Played?

You are right about an order of the Top 10 Genres Played, it will be corrected.

@Mizery_Made - Yes, I though to add Conductor field to the Totals section, but you don't believe, I didn't because I wanted an odd number of rows, so that the last row in section have Silver background color :) Could you tell me which one more field to add to this section beside of the Conductors, so that we have odd number of rows? Maybe Album Artists? Speaking about cosmetic changes again, it reminds me to ask, what would you think if I add a support for skinning colors and headers, similar to my scripts MN and RFR? Currently, its bright colors are not very well with some dark skin.

I also though to add Composers and Lyricists to the Average section, but give up that idea because exactly same reason that you mentioned - it could only slow down an execution of the script, and many users really don't care to know the number of the tracks per Composers/Lyricists. Maybe I could add configuration for this as well, but such configuration dialog could be too crowded. I think it should be enough if I put check boxes or similar to turn on/off only sections, but not for every item in the section. Anyway, I will add those fields to the Average section in the next release.

Yes, Average Years are corrected, as well as any other reported issues with the Played value, like Top 10 Genre Played and Top 10 Rating Played. However, I would ask if you could try this out just to be sure that everything works fine. Speaking about the release date formula, this value is truncated to the Year information only, month and day are not considering. However, the original script has an issue with this formula since it calculates with the CAST((Songs.Year/10000) AS INTEGER)) expression, instead of mine CAST(substr(Songs.Year, 1, 4) AS INTEGER). I am using later since I noticed that some release dates are not stored in the database as 20090410 (or 20090000 if only Year is specified), but just as 2009. Again, please check results and tell me if everything is correct.

And finally, yes, I noticed same problem with uniformity of the table columns width. They have automatically determined width based on the length of the contained text, but I think I should add fixed widths.

One more cosmetic question. Many tables have Tracks as the first column (e.g. Top 10 Artist section) and the second column is Artists (or Albums/Genres...) I am thinking to put the # column first (1, 2, 3 and so on), then Artists (Albums,..) and only after that the Tracks column. What do you think about that?
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I'm just going to jot down ideas and responses as they come to me and such, so this post probably won't flow well.

I can kind of understand wanting an odd number of rows for design purposes, but I can't really think of one field that might be good to add. You mention Album Artists, but I'm not sure this would be a good choice, because I'd venture to say that most users Album Artist list will look similar to the Artist list, only difference coming with the Soundtrack/Compilations which may be filed under "VA" or otherwise. Though there's not really another field that stands out that should go in, while another sits in the bench. Some might find the Lists fields useful (Mood, Quality, Occassion, Tempo), but that raises the problem of having to add all four (and still be in the same spot we are now) or decide which one goes in, which just seems odd. So, not really sure on this one.

I think some basic skinning options could do wonders. I must admit that I don't really use your other scripts that often anymore, thus aren't sure what you've done with them in regards to this. Though, a simple option sheet that could allow you to choose certain colors like Text Color, Background Color, Row Color #1, Row Color #2, etc could be useful. Like you said, it can be rather bright and clash badly with some of the darker skins, so allowing some way to easily customize the look could be useful for some.

I would personally vote for fixing the width of the columns so that they appear in a uniform manner from top to bottom because it would look cleaner, more organized. Is there really any hard that could come from fixing the width? I guess maybe if a field grows larger than it's allotted width, but it's been a while since I've messed with HTML tables, so I'm not really sure what to say here.

I'd really like to see an "All The Bells & Whistles" version of this. And by that, I mean I'd like to see the option to list the Top 10 Composers and Top 10 Conductors along with the Top 10 Artists, I'd like to see these extra fields added to the Averages section. Heck, the Classifications could be added to the Totals & Averages section as well as have their own "Top 10" sections. However, I don't mean this to be the default option for everyone who uses it, because everyone is different and they may not want to see all this. Having all the workings under the hood to accomplish this and simply being able to turn on and off the parts I do or don't want to see would be a great way to make this script both simple and complex at the same time. If all the workings can be under the hood and simply ignored when running when I have 80% of it off, that would allow me to achieve a simple (yet functioning) basic report much like I get now. Meanwhile, for someone interested in these extras, they simply have to go into the options, flip a switch on what they want, and get exactly what they want pleases both ends of the spectrum.

Like I said though, I would only push for this if it's possible to keep it "lean and mean" for average user, because appealing to the masses is the biggest priority. So yeah, if it's possible and you're able to put the time into it, then great, if not, you've still got a mighty fine script here.

Oh, and for a couple of those other design things you mentioned. I think the header at the top as well as the "Created" note at the bottom would look better if centered on the page. That may just be me though. And as for the changing of the "Top 10 Artists Played" statement, your suggestion makes a little more sense, but the way it is now, it adds a little more uniformity to it. Though that's just mean randomly putting words together in my head as I'm half asleep, so my thoughts on it may not make any sense.

Lastly, the formulas. Everything is probably fine, but all the averages and such stayed pretty much in line with the original (slight variations in the Played averages, like on Bitrate or Length), but then I came to the Year field and saw a Six year difference between the original and yours. Though, maybe it's due to the odd handling the original had as you mentioned. I might poke around tomorrow... right now though... I need a bed, haha.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:Thanks for comments and suggestions. :)

@nynaevelan - Yes, I though to capitalize a word "played" in headings, but was not sure what other would think about it. Speaking about cosmetic changes, I am also thinking to apply central alignment of the main title which is currently left aligned - what you think about it? Also, maybe it would be better to write Top 10 Played Artists (or Album, Genres and so on) than Top 10 Artists Played?
Yes, I would prefe Top 10 Played....
ZvezdanD wrote:You are right about an order of the Top 10 Genres Played, it will be corrected.
Thanks
ZvezdanD wrote:@Mizery_Made - Yes, I though to add Conductor field to the Totals section, but you don't believe, I didn't because I wanted an odd number of rows, so that the last row in section have Silver background color :) Could you tell me which one more field to add to this section beside of the Conductors, so that we have odd number of rows? Maybe Album Artists? Speaking about cosmetic changes again, it reminds me to ask, what would you think if I add a support for skinning colors and headers, similar to my scripts MN and RFR? Currently, its bright colors are not very well with some dark skin.
I would definately like this and I am still actively using quite a few of your scripts.
ZvezdanD wrote:I also though to add Composers and Lyricists to the Average section, but give up that idea because exactly same reason that you mentioned - it could only slow down an execution of the script, and many users really don't care to know the number of the tracks per Composers/Lyricists. Maybe I could add configuration for this as well, but such configuration dialog could be too crowded. I think it should be enough if I put check boxes or similar to turn on/off only sections, but not for every item in the section. Anyway, I will add those fields to the Average section in the next release.
Can you add Involved People or Original Artist? Although Original Artist would be my first choice.

ZvezdanD wrote:One more cosmetic question. Many tables have Tracks as the first column (e.g. Top 10 Artist section) and the second column is Artists (or Albums/Genres...) I am thinking to put the # column first (1, 2, 3 and so on), then Artists (Albums,..) and only after that the Tracks column. What do you think about that?
[/quote]

I'm not sure which would be the best since the Stats are based on tracks but personally I would prefer the artist in the first column when in the artist section, genre in the first column when in the genre section etc...

As for the Top 10 ... Plays, I would prefer the plays be the first column and I would like it if their header changed from Tracks to Plays but you do not have to do that if you do not want I am content to change it myself for my personal version.

And as MM stated I too would like to have an options panel that would allow me to personalize it to meet my needs, so the more bells and whistles the better as far as I am concerned. If it is not too difficult you could have the Option Sheet broken up into several sections and have a minimal setup on by default, that way the advanced user can use the Option Sheet to personalize to his/her needs.

Thanks for considering my suggestions.

Nyn

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

I will try to add all your suggestions. I have one more question about appearance - number/time columns are currently left aligned, e.g. Tracks, Length, File size. I think it would be better if those columns are right aligned as they are in the main tracklist of the program. In such case my previous suggestion to move the Track columns to the second position (or third if I add one more column for the #) would be even more desirable, because it is not very well to have the first column right aligned.

Nyn, I already changed the heading for Played sections, instead of Tracks they now show Played. Adding Original Artist has sense and I think I will add this field together with the Conductor, at least to the Total and Average sections, but I am not sure about Involved People. Many users use this field for different purpose and it could contain multiple values, even it is not multi-item field like Artist/Composer/Genre... So, if I have Involved people like "vocal:Bono;guitar:The Edge;bass:Adam Clayton;drums:Larry Mullen, Jr." I cannot use this kind of statistic to count the number of tracks where Bono is vocalist, but only where all of them are as musicians, which I think is not to much useful.

I will add the Option Sheet for existing sections and maybe for individual items in the Total and Average sections, but I am not sure if I will add more sections using current state. I think that I have one more flexible and better idea about script configurability. I need to think more about it, but if it could be implemented, it would resolve many wishes. Just to give you a hint - it would be dependent on Magic Nodes and its Statistic qualifier. With that solution users could add anything they want using MN masks, without a need to change this script.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:
I will add the Option Sheet for existing sections and maybe for individual items in the Total and Average sections, but I am not sure if I will add more sections using current state. I think that I have one more flexible and better idea about script configurability. I need to think more about it, but if it could be implemented, it would resolve many wishes. Just to give you a hint - it would be dependent on Magic Nodes and its Statistic qualifier. With that solution users could add anything they want using MN masks, without a need to change this script.
How will this work for users who do not use MN?

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

nynaevelan wrote:How will this work for users who do not use MN?
Not at all :evil: ;)

I know that many don't like it, but I think this is a small price to users, for a flexibility which such solution would introduce. Consider a possibility to get Last 20... group from MN (or any custom made) as a statistical report without changing/adding anything to this script. Wouldn't be that worth for installing of MN?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

It would for more experienced users but I think it will be a deterrent for the novice user, especially one that is not only unfamiliar with scripts but also unfamiliar with MN. Remember, for alot of users MN is very intimidating. I like to think of myself as an experienced user but until GUI came out MN was not a usable script for me and I still have trouble creating my own complex nodes. Believe it or not I do prefer to be self-sufficient. :wink:

Nyn

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Well, OK, I understand that. But for me it would be much easier to add some new mask to the MN, if I want some new statistical report, than to change this script. When I am speaking about changing of this script, I don't mean only on added few lines with SQL queries, but this would be a lot of the code to support their configuring, check boxes and other controls in the Option Sheet, manipulation with the .ini file and so on (which it currently don't have). Magic Nodes already have all of that - the "easy" way to create masks, the transparent way to store that configuration into .ini file and in such case the Options Sheet and lot of check boxes for different sections and items would not be necessary.

Just take a look at you two with different wishes - you want Original Artist, maybe Top 10 Original Artist, then Top 10 Played Original Artists, Mizery_Made wants Conductors, Classifications (Tempo, Mood...), someone else could want something another... This could be a lot of mess with too many controls and options in the Option Sheet - isn't that complicating for users with this script as well? You want to avoid usage of one complicated script (MN), but you want to complicate another...

Please, imagine following scenario - user just installed MN which already have Last 20... group, s/he only need to click on this node and would get Statistical report with same data which are displayed in nodes. Users could get report not only with the number of tracks, total length and total file size as it is now, but also with the average bitrate, maximal BPM, oldest playdate or whatever s/he wants, just by modifying few options in the MN dialog box. In many cases users would not need to change anything within that dialog box since I could provide all necessary MN masks (many existing could be already used).
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

You have a point and I understand where you are coming from but the end user does not know about or care about the back end programming. He/she only cares about getting what they want in the easiest fashion possible. And to have a script which is dependent on the other is going to create problems for many users, especially for those that are unfamiliar with the script that is the dependency. To have an Option Sheet that would have controls that the user can use to configure the script to meet his/her needs will be less of a learning curve then for those who has to install a second script in order to get the first script to work. Also, to have to install MN with all of it's presets is going to give the user more than he/she wishes. For example I have 58 MN nodes and only 8 of them are from the presets. I have installed what I need and want. To install MN in order to get the stats script will cause the user to also have to customize MN to meet his/her needs. Personally I think the MM delivered script meets the needs of the novice user, so the customized version is going to be more for the advanced user, who will be capable of using the Options sheet to customize what he/she wants.

I may not be saying this well but I think scripts should be created to run independently and let the user choose which he/she wants to install, rather than have the user have to learn how to use two or more scripts in order to use one. Just my two cents...

Nyn

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Maybe you don't understand. I am not saying that this script would not work without MN. It will work as it is now and more. You don't need to worry, I already said that I will add the Option Sheet, but I want it to be used only for existing sections. I don't think it is best solution to add more and more sections to this report and, in same way, more and more controls to the Option Sheet, using existing approach.

Currently we have suggestions for some new fields (Original Artist, Conductor...), but what if some user wants another data to be displayed? Maybe s/he don't want to know about total number of tracks, file size or length, but wish to see average bitrates or oldest playdates or total playcounts per each artist/album/... Could you imagine how complex would be this script if I need to cover all such situations? Not only for me as scripter, but also for users. Such Option Sheet would be nothing less complicated than existing MN dialog box.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

ZvezdanD wrote:Maybe you don't understand. I am not saying that this script would not work without MN. It will work as it is now and more. You don't need to worry, I already said that I will add the Option Sheet, but I want it to be used only for existing sections. I don't think it is best solution to add more and more sections to this report and, in same way, more and more controls to the Option Sheet, using existing approach.

Currently we have suggestions for some new fields (Original Artist, Conductor...), but what if some user wants another data to be displayed? Maybe s/he don't want to know about total number of tracks, file size or length, but wish to see average bitrates or oldest playdates or total playcounts per each artist/album/... Could you imagine how complex would be this script if I need to cover all such situations? Not only for me as scripter, but also for users. Such Option Sheet would be nothing less complicated than existing MN dialog box.
Oh ok I think that went completely over my head, I thought you were saying that you were programming it so that users had to use MN. Well, then forget all that other stuff I said. :oops: You see what I mean about end users not understanding or caring about the back end programming? :wink: Just do your thing and I will follow along. :D

ZvezdanD

Re: Filtered Statistics Report 1.1 (2009-04-11) [MM3]

Post by ZvezdanD »

There is a new update: v1.1 - 2009-04-11
- Added: some new fields (Conductor, Original Artist) and several new sections (Top 10 Rated Artists, Top 10 Rated Genres, Top 10 * Composers, Top 10 * Lyricists, ...)
- Improved: look of tables.