Request: Script for exporting MM database to WMP

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

sa_ill

Request: Script for exporting MM database to WMP

Post by sa_ill »

Hey

It seems many people would like to have a script to export their music database to Windows Media Player.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 8&e=197288

Thanks!
sa_ill

Re: Request: Script for exporting MM database to WMP

Post by sa_ill »

ok been 2 days

*bump*
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Patience Sa_ill, two days is not too long to wait. While I too am eager for this one also. Oh I forgot to add, do you know if it is possible for WMP to import an outside database or will the script need to overwrite the existing db??

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

As far as I know...WMP has bad or no scripting support....and importing databases is totally out of the question. I couldnt even import my database from WMP 11 to WMP 12....

As far as overwriting the existing database on WMP with a database of some other WMP installation (same version) goes, simply overwrite the database files....no drive ID and stuff like that needed.....(although I cant confirm this, since I've barely used WMP 12)
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Ok: How would you propose the script work?? Since I could not find an import feature I would assume it would need to be a file that would overwrite the WMP database file? But since I only use WMP for videos and that only sporadically I am unfamiliar with it's capabilities and db. But this would be something I would be interested in playing with.

Nyn

sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

Well overwriting the database is possible....but I think adding entries into the existing database file would be a better idea...plus easier....basically all the script has to do is add the track information into the database file without touching the current database entries.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

i'm not a scripter but wouldn't that be more complicated?

sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

Well....I think both the methods would have the same level of complexity/simplicity.......but, overwriting the database doesnt really solve much of a purpose

Say you have your video files, and some music, radio (etc) in your WMP, with ratings, play counts, comments, tags etc in WMP. If I overwrite the database of WMP with the music of MM, the WMP with the new database would have all the music from MM, but lose the information of the videos, music, etc. that you already had in WMP, and obviously you definitely dont want that to happen.

If, we simply add information to the database of WMP, that would keep your WMP library and add the MM library.

Both of the methods require interpreting the WMP database language, thus the level of complexity would be the same.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't use WMP - where is the database stored and in what format?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

on Vista: \Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\ It's a wmdb format, which I have no idea what that is.

Nyn

sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

nynaevelan wrote:on Vista: \Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\ It's a wmdb format, which I have no idea what that is.

Nyn
Yes exactly...so a script has to made in such a way that it interprets the language used in the WMP database, and sort of convernt the MM format to the WMP format.
sourceminer

Post by sourceminer »

If it makes any difference to the development to this program. I use Windows Media Center for everything in my house.
The Media Center is the center of all Media in every room. Having Media Monkey control my music is a Must, but its useless to me unless I can have my library update my WMP library, and vise versa (ratings, play count). Unless of course I can control media Monkey inside media center, however I am sure that is never going to happen.

I use Media Monkey to organize my files, update tags, ratings, sync with my ipod and my blackberry. Having it update my windows Media player seems to be a natural thing.
sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

Well your case has been different since you've been using WMP as your main player. How am I suppossed to update ratings and play counts of 50+ GB of songs. I've never used WMP and I dont wanna start all over again.
sa_ill

Post by sa_ill »

Any recent developements in this subject?