I dont like how (MM scrolls in Now Playing by itself)

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

I dont like how (MM scrolls in Now Playing by itself)

Post by robojock »

I dont know how to explain it... but ill try my best so that everyone can understand... I dont know if it is a bug or just how mediamonkey works... but i only noticed it with the latest build. How i came cross the problem was like this... I was in the Library node tagging a bunch of mp3s (1000+) in a directory and doing volume analyzing, one of the mp3s was "highlighted" if i would scroll up to maybe want to sort by artist or rating and the volume analyzing tags a song mediamonkey jumps to the selected track... :( it gets quit annoying after a while...
Last edited by robojock on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nohitter151

Re: I dont like how mediamonkey does a certain thing...

Post by nohitter151 »

I think its quite convenient, i.e. you are editing some of your tracks, then you change the sort order by clicking a column, and the track that you last edited is still in view after the new sort.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
robojock

Post by robojock »

But you dont understand... say for example you press shift and hold it in to select a few tracks for example you wanted to select 50 tracks or more the moment volume analyzing tags a song it jumps back up... and if you have a fast pc it constantly jumps back up :( so you cant really select all the tracks you wanted to select....
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

It is definitely not new. I also noticed it, already with 3.0.
Intuitively I don't like it either.
Regards, Willy
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

select the songs first then do editing. :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
robojock

Post by robojock »

Rovingcowboy... then what is the purpose of multi-tasking? if you have to things a certain way... :wink:
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

well i never said it was easy.

but i aint got a computer that can multi task with that much stuff.

what you want is them to make the scroll bar disconnected from the list when the songs are being edited.

not sure if they can do that? :o

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi.

8)
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Agreed - very annoying and surely a bug. A background process should not interfere with the UI state.
Chris
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I've also noted this annoying behaviour in 3.1.0.1236
When multiple tagging, you can't progress to any other track line without the screen refreshing back to the current track being tagged. Does this in Now Playing, "Show Details View" and "Show Album Art with Details view"
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
robojock

Post by robojock »

Well i hope the developers can get it fixed or sorted out before the final release...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Robojock, Paul,

This sounds really annoying, but I can't figure out how to reproduce it. Can you give me a set of steps that consistently triggers the problem?

Here's what I tried:
1) Selected a set of tracks in Now Playing (details view)
2) Enabled Auto-analysis (so that other tracks in Now Playing would be analyzed/tagged)
-->focus didn't shift!

I tried a similar approach in the locations node, to no avail.

Any hints?

Thanks.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

In the course of testing I couldn't replicate the issue you describe, however, I did notice a similar problem in the Now Playing node/window:
If focus rests on a track such that the currently playing track isn't visible, then when the next track starts playing, the view scrolls to the new currently playing track. This change of behavior was made on purpose so that if MM is in Shuffle mode, it's possible to see whatever track is playing (see: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=4003 ).

Perhaps a better approach would be to only switch to the currently playing track if no track is in focus in Now Playing, AND no mouse activity has been detected in x seconds (long term, a solid design for bug #23 would make this a non-issue).

Thoughts?

-Rusty
robojock

Re: I dont like how (MM scrolls in Now Playing by itself)

Post by robojock »

Hi rusty this is how i reproduce the problem select a bunch of mp3s that dont have there volume analyzed... start the analyze process then select a mp3 right at the top of the page... now while it is analyzing the mp3s and tagging them, scroll right down once it tags a mp3 it jumps back to the one you selected... which becomes annoying if you looking for something particular in a "long" list or if you wanna select a bunch of mp3s...

BTW i tested to see if this happens with file monitor it does not do it... seems to me this only happens when there is "tagging" involved...
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

I have been able to reproduce this by doing this...

Import new tracks into library
In my library these will be unrated (unknown)
Track numbers could easily be in excess of 100+
Begin process of tagging and cleaning up files etc
Last task, tag is analyzing volume
Select all tracks in Ratings Unknown (which have now been tagged with 2 stars)
and start analyze
While this has progressed I could, and do sometimes add all tracks to Now Playing - Play Last
When scrolling my now playing list which is controlled by AutoDJ via "General Playlist" and there may be while introducing new
songs to now playing anything up to 1.5gB of tracks - screen will always refresh to current track being highlighted and analysed.
I have "Level Playback" turned off by default as I only use this at selected times.
MM will be playing back from Now Playing while I am working on the new tracks.
I can't be sure but I don't think I have noticed this when adding bulk ratings although sometimes this can cause MM to pause (Not Responding)

I have a Quad Core Processor. I have found MM slower with all cores enabled and have reduced to two for volume analysis, sorry I haven't gone back to 4 to test that but I will and update this post.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

all you seem to be complaining about is the fact the monkey keeps the song currently being worked on selected in his work order for editing the song.
so when he gets done with it he jumps the list back to what you had told him to edit so you can see he has finished with that one and is waiting for or is now going to work on the next work order.

you are just not wanting him to jump back to the one he had currently selected in his work order upon his completion of that file's adjustments, to give you the notice of it. you just what him to go to the next
work order and not notify you by doing the jumping back.

@RUSTY in terms for programming:; they want you to release the focus lock when doing editing on the song files. :) now if you have a lock on there or if that is just something that is part of the making of the playlist i don't know?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.