Script for Deleting Unused Data?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

GeraldB

Script for Deleting Unused Data?

Post by GeraldB »

Okay, I may be excessively tidy...
I'd like to delete information I don't intend to ever use; examples are comments, genre, track number, rating, date, disk number, and track number. Is there a script that will help?
Can't afford a signature.
nynaevelan

Re: Script for Deleting Unused Data?

Post by nynaevelan »

You do not need a script for this, just highlight all the tracks you want to modify and clear the appropriate fields. It may take a litle while depending on the number of tracks to be adjusted. The fastest way would be a sql statement in the sql viewer script.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You can do as above, but there is a script which can clear a field for selected tracks.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... eld+script
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Thank you for the quick suggestions; both look good.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

I had the same question a little while ago and here is the responce I got. It worked great.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=38671
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Thanks Stevie. I have used the two methods above and both worked, but not perfectly, so advanced tag management is of great interest. However, I've been through the Help and Wiki and can't find out which are the default fields. I don't want to start erasing without knowing what I'm doing - are the default fields listed somewhere?
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

I don't know if there is a set "default" tag. Maybe all the fields that are displayed and available in MM properties. It just may boil down to personal preference. Personally, I use Artist, Album, Disc#, Track#, Title, Publisher, Genre, and Date.
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Okay, your answer helped me understand; thanks. Unfortunately, while removing those "other than MM" tags feeds my neatness fetish, it won't help me delete things I want to eliminate, like track numbers.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

GeraldB wrote:Okay, your answer helped me understand; thanks. Unfortunately, while removing those "other than MM" tags feeds my neatness fetish, it won't help me delete things I want to eliminate, like track numbers.
How can you have a neatness fetish but go on to never use track#? The thought of tracks without track numbers makes me shudder :P :wink:
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

I hear ya, but I've never understood any use for track numbers. Maybe because I just play music; I click a playlist or I pick a bunch of individual songs by artist or title. Track number, disk number, genre, album title, date, comments, rating, bpm, category, grouping, composer, tempo, mood, etc. -- don't need 'em. It's great how MM works for us all.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

If you don't need them, then just hide them from view. Right click the column header and uncheck the fields you don't want displayed.

Problem solved.

Of course this does not fix any OCD about data you don't even see, but it does remove extranious info from view so you can see what is important to you.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Did that. I like a simple interface (I'm a little old and hard-of-seeing), but also I like a lean and tidy computer so I eliminate bytes when I can. What I really need is a simple way to empty selected fields when I add a song to the library, like the way volume is automatically analyzed, or the (manual) way "Clear Field" deletes the comments. It's no biggie though; I'm gonna forget it. MM works great for me as it is.
Danial

Post by Danial »

All of the above actually clearedthe field e.g comments field but none actually deleted it for e.g. open that same file in Windows Media Player (WMP) and you will see a blank comments block, it is empty but very much there and not removed.

i am getting in this fuss because the portable player and car stereo i use has this bad thing to display comments instead of Album pic if a comment exists.

I hope some programmer can help me on this issue.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Danial wrote:All of the above actually clearedthe field e.g comments field but none actually deleted it for e.g. open that same file in Windows Media Player (WMP) and you will see a blank comments block, it is empty but very much there and not removed.
This doesn't make any sense. If it's blank, then how is it not removed?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Assume that the comment field is still in the file, it is empty, but still in the file. I don't think scripts can delete the field itself, nor does MediaMonkey. The problem of course is the hardware as it's thrown off by this field being present, which means it's really a poor piece of hardware. It amazes me how much hardware is so poorly done.