Can MM sort filenames like this?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

ssurf

Can MM sort filenames like this?

Post by ssurf »

I have a folder where the files are named 1a1, 1a2 and so on up till 1a120. When I sort by file name in MM it will sort like this 1a1, 1a10, 1a11.......1a19, 1a2, 1a20......Is there a way to make it 1a1, 1a2, 1a3.......1a9, 1a10, 1a11 You get the idea? Or is this a Windows issue?

I would like to avoid renaming the files 1a01, 1a02, and so on, since I have thousands of these files, and their file names are the same as certain marker
names inside a DAW application.
rovingcowboy

Re: Can MM sort filenames like this?

Post by rovingcowboy »

there is a script to add zero/s to the front of the number of the songs in the list check in the scripts forum on the all scripts list and see if that will help you. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ssurf

Post by ssurf »

That's what I was hoping to avoid (see above). But maybe it's the only solution.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't have smart sort like Windows Explorer. This means that the only solution is adding leading 0's to get the correct sort order.
ssurf

Post by ssurf »

Ok guess it's renaming time :-?
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

one thought - copy the names into one of the custom fields with the fix to add the leading zeros. If they're all 1Annn then you could strip off the '1A' part when you copy it into the custom field. Then all you have to do is sort on the custom field. You should be able to use the RegExp script to do this I think.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

You don't need to add zeroes, nor I suggest to copy filenames to some custom field. It would be the best if you parse filename and put numbers which are after "1a" directly to the Track Number field. I don't know if it could be done with the Auto-Tag from Filename, but you could use the RegExp Find & Replace script with following settings:
Find what:

Code: Select all

^.*
Into: Track #
Regular Expression 1: checked
Replace with:

Code: Select all

IIf(Len(RegExpEx(oSongData.Path, "\\1a(\d+)\.[^\.\\]+?$", 0, 0)) > 0, RegExpEx(oSongData.Path, "\\1a(\d+)\.[^\.\\]+?$", 0, 0), "$&")
VBScript expression: checked
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
ssurf

Post by ssurf »

Hmmm, will have to be careful with this one since the files also are present inside a DAW app. with markes named like the files. Think this will have to be done manually.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Why do you need to do that manually, is there some special reason? I suggested to enter your numbers into the Track Number field of MM and eventually to store that information in the .mp3 tag (if you turned on the Update tags when editing properties in the Options dialog box). I didn't suggest to change their filenames. I suppose your DAW needs that marker names match corresponding filenames, not Track numbers. However, if you prefer to change filenames instead, RegExp could be used for that as well (with another settings, of course).
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
ssurf

Post by ssurf »

Yeah I want to change the file names. Will probably use regexp. Just worried that my DAW won't find the newly renamed wav files when I open the project (they are on a time line) I'd most likely have to locate them manually. In other words I'm considering just leaving the files the way they are as it is not a huge problem.