CD's with multiple artists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Anastassios Giannaras

CD's with multiple artists

Post by Anastassios Giannaras »

Hello everyone! I bought Media Monkey Gold yesterday, and FINALLY I can sort out my Music Collection! Since I want this done properly, (I can be VERY Anal about it!) I am adding one artist at a time. Then Media Monkey does the sorting and I correct any possible errors, download missing covers etc.

The whole process is very time consuming but I enjoy it immensely!There are a couple of small issued though :

1. I have a couple of soundtracks which have songs from different artists... I don't want these artists in my 'Artists' main list in media monkey, mainly because they make the list huge without being artists I instantly recognise... Is there a way to make some kind of compilation or I just to sacrifice album information by setting all artists in these albums to 'various artists'.

2. When media monkey moves files around it is unable to delete empty folders, giving the message that they are read only!? I have set everything to 'not read only' but the problem persists.

Thanks for an excellent piece of software which finally lets me sort out my media library!!

:D :lol:
Bex

Re: CD's with multiple artists

Post by Bex »

Hi Anastassios Giannaras,

1. What do you mean with 'Artists' main list? Also, to make an album to be an album you need to set the Album Artist to the same on all tracks.

2. What OS are you using?

If you want to find Inconsistencies in your collection, you can try my Tagging Inconsistencies Script. Link in signature!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Anastassios Giannaras

Post by Anastassios Giannaras »

By 'artists' list I mean the list on the Music Explorer Tree with 'Artist & Album Artist' selected.

Let me explain a little better. I have a soundtrack with music from different artists. I don't want to see these artists when I select the list on the Music Explorer Tree with 'Artist & Album Artist'. Also using the script you suggested it shows that this album has "tracks in multiple folders. Which makes sense since it is sorting my files by artist.

The suggested scripts are very very helpful by the way, many thanks!!! two thumbs up
Bex

Post by Bex »

Thanks!

You actually have three "artist"-nodes:
Artists -> Displays tracks where the Artist equals X
Album Artists -> Displays tracks where the Album Artist equals X
Artist & Album Artist -> Displays tracks where the Artist or the Album Artist equals X

So if you don't want to see these artists then you should use the Album Artists node instead. Just make sure that the Album Artist field is correctly populated. And as said, for compilations (e.g. Soundtracks) you need to set the Album Artist to the same name e.g. Various Artists.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
MMan

Post by MMan »

I'm not sure that I can help with the folder question, but if you are anal about things, I wouldn't make the Artist "Various Artists" for all tracks on Soundtracks/Compilations. You will never be able to find some tracks if you tag them that way. If you want to create a node that just shows the Album Artist, not the Album Artisti and Artist fields, you could use the magic node script which is great for that and tons of other custom nodes. Good luck.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ode#p96695