iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

dmc

iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by dmc »

Hi,

I've used mediamonkey to manage music on my iphone 3g since I got it a month ago. Sync worked very reliably.
That was on iphone OS 2.2.1. Today I upgraded to the tech preview of OS 3.0. Now mediamonkey sees the iphone, but will not write to it.

The error dialog says -
"The iPhone/iPod firmware is not compatible with this version of MediaMonkey. You'll be able to view the contents of the device, but will not be able to write to it."

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about this problem, and to ask if you plan to support OS 3.0 anytime soon?

Thanks

dmc
[mediamonkey gold:lifetime]
Music Diva

Re: iphone 3g OS 3.0 (developer preview OS)

Post by Music Diva »

Almost every time Apple releases new firmware, it seems it must first be hacked by MM. They seemed to have quite a time with the last major update for the Touch/iPhone. And keep in mind the one you have likely isn't even the final version of 3.0, since Apple claims June for the final release. It may be a while before there's full support for 3.0. I won't be updating anything until there's support on MM.
jiri

Post by jiri »

I placed a testing version of d_iPhone.dll to http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPhone.dll. It lets you to sync to 3.x version of firmware, but isn't otherwise modified or tested in any way. So feel free to check it out and please let us know here, whether it works.

Thanks,
Jiri

EDIT: We know the plugin doesn't currently work properly, ie. you cannot see the music on your device after it is synced, though the sync seems ok from the MM side. This is due to a change in the iPhone/Touch database format and we're currently looking into it.
Bary Pryde

Post by Bary Pryde »

jiri wrote:I placed a testing version of d_iPhone.dll to http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPhone.dll. It lets you to sync to 3.x version of firmware, but isn't otherwise modified or tested in any way. So feel free to check it out and please let us know here, whether it works.

Thanks,
Jiri

Hey is there on of those for a Ipod Touch 2g with 3.0 firmware? If i can get one i will definitely buy mediamonkey.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

iPod touch uses the same plugin as the iPhone (as above). As there doesn't seem to be any feedback on the plugin yet it would be good if someone with the 3.0 OS could test it out.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
cmx

Post by cmx »

jiri, thanks for getting in front of 3.0...very much appreciated. Hope it goes smoothly.
sko

Post by sko »

I'm testing now with 3.0 beta 3, i'll let you know how it goes, so far copying works again :)
sko

Post by sko »

looks like it is working, I have now beta 4, and all the music was gone according to the iphone, but after a resync, which took a couple of seconds, it appeared again :)

update:

hmm, i was a little bit too optimistic, I copied about 180 songs to my iPhone, and they do not show up on the iphone itself, but when I connect to it with MM, I can see them, but i cannot use them on the iphone itself, furthermore, almost all the album covers are missing, just the wrong cover, or screwed up, but the are ok in MM.

Here are some examples:

Bex

Post by Bex »

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
sko

Post by sko »

thnx, i'll try that tonight,

for the meanwhile, i'd just updated to 3.0 beta 5, and now all the music is back on the iPhone, which was synced yesterday with MM.
Probably the new iTunes 8.2.0.13 repaired the DB?. Album art is still a problem, i'll try to fix this tonight using your method.
sko

Post by sko »

I've done what you suggested, and the album art is ok now, except that most of the art belongs to different album when viewed on the iPhone.
When I browse the albums on the iPhone in MM, i don't see any album art at all, but on the iPhone itself it is mixed up.

If you look at the example, after you're proposed fix, it's now different albumart for the same album, but still wrong:

And another album, also wrong album art:

There is in fact only one album that has the correct album art, i'll try to find out if there is any difference between this album and the rest.
sko

Post by sko »

update:
When i tried to delete an album from the iPhone with MM, it deletes the numbers, but the album is still visible in the iPhone, although i cannot play it anymore.

After starting iTunes 8.2.0.13 (which comes with iPhone OS 3.0b5) on another computer and connecting the iPhone to it, it syncs once with the iPhone for a couple of seconds, after this all the album-art issues are gone and the albums have their correct album-art. Also the deleted album is now gone from the iPhone.

When I copy the Album to the iPhone again, it doesn't show up in the iPhone's DB, after connecting to iTunes, this is fixed again and it shows up with the correct Album Art.
Peke

Post by Peke »

So basically the thing you need to do is to sync only few albums with few tracks (1-2) in iTunes on clean iPhone and dump/archive whole iPhone content, then clean it again and sync same tracks/albums with MM and see if album art is incorrect and dump it again for comparison, then again start your steps within iTunes that will correct Album Art and again dump iPhone for last comparison archive. This way we will hopefully be able to exactly pinpoint where MM misses and what is the difference from MM and iTunes along what iTunes do to fix album art. Note that if you sync 3 albums with tracks that each one is 5MB you will end up with 100MB of data from all dumps that needs to be compared Byte by Byte.

I know that this sounds hard but as Apple do not provide third party developers any SDK and informations about format and functionality all things needs to be solved by using brute force individually by each developer using miss trials and repeat process until issue is figure out :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sko

Post by sko »

Peke wrote:So basically the thing you need to do is to sync only few albums with few tracks (1-2) in iTunes on clean iPhone and dump/archive whole iPhone content, then clean it again and sync same tracks/albums with MM and see if album art is incorrect and dump it again for comparison, then again start your steps within iTunes that will correct Album Art and again dump iPhone for last comparison archive. This way we will hopefully be able to exactly pinpoint where MM misses and what is the difference from MM and iTunes along what iTunes do to fix album art. Note that if you sync 3 albums with tracks that each one is 5MB you will end up with 100MB of data from all dumps that needs to be compared Byte by Byte.

I know that this sounds hard but as Apple do not provide third party developers any SDK and informations about format and functionality all things needs to be solved by using brute force individually by each developer using miss trials and repeat process until issue is figure out :(

you don't have an iphone yourself?
HSChronic

Post by HSChronic »

everytime i plug in my device it crashes MM any ideas?