Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Alterx

Re: Genre Finder 4.0 [MM2+3]

Post by Alterx »

trixmoto wrote:@Alterx - it's not possible to use both a whitelist and a blacklist at the same time. Unfortunately that error is a known issue which I will fix in the next version.
Hi.

So if i want to accept all the results (whitlelist with *) except that some of them ( Blacklist with the terms i don't want) and, for the accepted results (translations) i want to translate one entry to another i can't. Is it right?

Maybe, if you're working on the next version, just consider this situation as a suggestion for a useful implementation. :)

Thanks.

Andrea
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well combining a whitelist and a blacklist doesn't really make sense. You can modify the whitelist to remove items using a minus (-) character, or add them using the plus (+) character.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

trixmoto wrote:Well combining a whitelist and a blacklist doesn't really make sense. You can modify the whitelist to remove items using a minus (-) character, or add them using the plus (+) character.
Ah... i see.

I didn't realize it was possible to do that. I saw there was the possibility to add more then one line in the form so i assumed i could use it to add both the whitelist and the blacklist.

Thanks again... i understand now.

:)
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

Hmm...

Maybe I'm a little bit confused but i think there somthing to check about the artist query when the Artist is divided by "," and is organized using "surname, name".

I have some album from Mahalia Jackson and i've catologed using Jackson, Mahalia... well when i try to run the query with the first artist format i receive more then 1 genre occurence, if i try the second format, i recevie just 1 result "Gospel"...

Maybe i'm doing something wrong and tell me if i can help you to reproduce this "error".

thanks

Andrea
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I've had no trouble with installing/using other scripts but this one has me baffled. When I try to use it using the toolbar button, I get this error:

Closing that reveals this error:

If I right-click for scripts and use it that way, I get this error:

:(
Stop Button Freak
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

@Alterx - that's because Last.Fm doesn't respond to "Last, First", only "First Last". I plan to add some fuzzy matching into the next version and I'll make sure this is part of it.

@Vyper - this is a bug which I'll fix in the next version.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

trixmoto wrote:@Alterx - that's because Last.Fm doesn't respond to "Last, First", only "First Last". I plan to add some fuzzy matching into the next version and I'll make sure this is part of it.

Maybe you can add an option for the user to choose if he want to "convert" the artist using automatic swapping (maybe with a mask like in RegExp script or something similar). So the query can be submitted in every format Last.fm decides he can accept.

Hmmm.... i hope my english was good enough to understand what i wrote.... :)

Bye
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yep, it's on my list! :)
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

Ehm....

Maybe, if you're working on the next release, you can consider to add the choice for the user to change "on the fly" the type of query from "Artist", for example, to "Album". That' s why, sometimes, you don't receive any result if you set "Album" as the default type but you can reach a good result if you use the "Artist" query (ame thing for the "Track" type, of course).

I dont' know if you think it can be useful... just think about it. :)

Thank you very much.

Ciao

Andrea
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

By "on the fly" do you mean in the middle of the process? This wouldn't be possible as the process is set up specifically at the beginning for each different mode. If you want to change just stop the process, change the setting and then start it again.
Alterx

Post by Alterx »

trixmoto wrote:By "on the fly" do you mean in the middle of the process? This wouldn't be possible as the process is set up specifically at the beginning for each different mode. If you want to change just stop the process, change the setting and then start it again.
No.

I mean that if i have, for example, "Album" mode selected as default and i'm running a query that produce no results, i'd like to re-run the query in "Artist" mode qithout changing the default settings. So i can check, fr example, if i have a proper result for Album but i can try other type of query if i have lack of data.

This is useful when i add new music to the catalog.

Bye.

Andrea
Neosphear

Post by Neosphear »

Hi, Trixmoto. Thanks for your hard work.

Instead of using just a whitelist and a blacklist, can you implement an option to show, say, the top 5 tag results for an artist/track and enable us to choose from those? I find this would suit my needs better. The whitelist seems somewhat hit and miss as I'm trying to expand upon what genres I have not minimize.
For instance, I'm trying to categorize Alphaville - Forever Young and Alphaville - Sounds Like a Melody. I'm trying to get back either New Wave or Synthpop as a result. Without any modification to the whitelist, I get "80s", which is too general for my taste. If I add "-80s" to the whitelist I get nothing. If I add "*-80s" I get "Pop", which would add Alphaville to the same genre as Colbie Caillat in my library. :(
Now, I don't want to add "*-80s-Pop" because when I get a new Colbie Caillat track and try to tag it I'll get "Acoustic" instead of the genre I wanted for her which was "Pop".
So is there a way to query last.fm and when it opens the GF Change Track Preview window have an option to select from instead of the top tag returned, the top 3 or top 5 tags so I can choose the tag best suited for my library? Would seem much more efficient than changing the whitelist every time I add a track of a different genre.
Before I stumbled upon your script I spent 4 hours going through every single artist and tagging them manually in conjunction with last.fm with (most of the time) the 2nd or 3rd top tag in the last.fm database. So when I found your script, I thought it was an enormous time saver, but alas isn't working as I expected.
Or maybe I'm just not using your script to its full potential. If so, please instruct me on how to do so. Thanks in advance!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I've added your suggestion to my list, but I'm not sure how feasible it is given the current architecture of the script. You could use the multiple tags mode to tag all your tracks with the top 3 genres and then manually edit to the one that you want - this would be quicker than looking up the options yourself I'd have thought.
Neosphear

Post by Neosphear »

Thanks for the reply trixmoto.

I didn't understand the use of the "Tag with multiple values?" option. You're right, that is much quicker than browsing for the tags myself online. Yet, it doesn't make sense for me to change 50 of my tracks to "80s, New Wave, Synth pop, Synthpop" just to turn around and manually edit them down to just "New Wave".

So for now, I'll use your script to look up the possible tags, and then just cancel out of the preview window without changing the tags and then edit the tags to the one I want. It is an excellent script and I'll use it for sure. I'm just saying it would be less redundant and more efficient to implement multiple checkboxes next to each possible tag in the preview window if we are going to enable "Tag with multiple values?" so we can just select one of the tags displayed instead of all of them.

If this isn't possible, I completely understand. It's just a suggestion to better your script. Thanks. :wink:
barefaced

Post by barefaced »

I am struggling with an even more basic problem - i cannot download the file from the site for some reason - this extends to the other scripts as well. I've disabled the pop-up blocker - any other ideas?