I agree it is outdated crap but here is the solution.
1. Insert - Field - Custom Text. This should give you a blank horizontal text box.
2. Double Click on the horizontal box you have created. Enter what you want in the Custom Text Panel that appears. The box to fill in is third up from the bottom. The others say: Leading Text and Trailing Text. You want Custom Text.
3. Once entered you will now see your text in a horizontal box with a small curved arrow above the box. Move it slowly and you will have a vertical line of text.
4. Use the arrows on the keyboard if you want to move it to a precise place.
6. Needless to say you can adjust the font and size by double clicking on it to take you back to the text box.
Don't forget! Ctrl -Z to undo any moves.